GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,999 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
25 
 Thumb up
 Hide
92 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Prerelease open Overlord App (Valkyrie) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Descent [+] [View All]
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
liquidlogic wrote:
Do you have any plans on including the Descent Core tiles that are missing from the RtL app?

I can scan them if needed. I'm not sure how to add the slight perspective/camera angle that the Valkyrie app has, however.

I'm working on a short quest now, and will post when I have finished an playtested it.


I'm not sure about the plans. The issue is I don't want to distribute them, but they are easy to add. Perhaps I could add low quality versions and just remove them if asked.

Adding is very easy have a look in "valkyrie_Data\content\D2E\base\tiles.ini" and add an entry for what you want. Images can be jpg, png or dds. the perspective is all handled by the app. The images do need to be 105 pixels per square (I assume this is 100dpi, but I'm not sure). If it is useful I can add a setting for dpi for each tile.

Looking forward to your quest.

Edit: annoyingly the latest version with new quests doesn't use any of the missing tiles.

Edit2: scratch that, 10B, 17B, 19B and 22B are added. This leaves only 10A, 17B, 18A/B and 30B. Lots more for the expansions though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Random question for anyone who is reading this and knows:

Is the swamp entrance tile from MoB, tCtR or both? I have neither of these so I don't know where it goes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc N
msg tools
mbmbmb
https://imageshack.com/i/p5uxPlK6j

You can see the entrance tile from MoB here. I'm not sure what's on the other side, but maybe you can infer from side A and B?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
liquidlogic wrote:
https://imageshack.com/i/p5uxPlK6j

You can see the entrance tile from MoB here. I'm not sure what's on the other side, but maybe you can infer from side A and B?

Good enough for me, still not sure if tCtR has this too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Big update just released, check it out!

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki

Worth noting that I have updated the ini documentation here:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki/QuestIniDetails
.. but the rest is out of date.

Most expansion monsters are missing, happy to accept help entering some details in for these.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of help do you want? Are you looking for scans of original cards and tiles? I would be willing to do some. I have all the descent 2.0 boxed games except for mists of bilehall and chains that rust. I also have all the lieutenants for the boxed expansions except for the last two.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
shooshoo wrote:
What kind of help do you want? Are you looking for scans of original cards and tiles? I would be willing to do some. I have all the descent 2.0 boxed games except for mists of bilehall and chains that rust. I also have all the lieutenants for the boxed expansions except for the last two.


Nope, just data entry. If you install a look at content\D2E\base\monsters.ini you will see a bunch of entries like this:

[MonsterGoblinArcher]
name="Goblin Archer"
image="../ffg/img/Monster_Goblin.dds"
info={ffg:INSTRUCTION_GOBLIN_ARCHER}
traits=ranged cave building small goblin
activation=Range1 Range2 Range3

But most are missing from the expansions (such as content\D2E\tt\monsters.ini)

The image name should match an image that will have been imported by the app. Info you can find the name of in content\D2E\ffg\text\Localization.txt. Traits are melee/ranged, size (small/medium/huge/massive), names of their location icons, and other useful things (like goblin). For now just use Range1 or Brawler1 for activation (based on melee/ranged).

medium/massive monsters also have a placement image like this:
imageplace="../ffg/img/Monster_Barghest_Placement.dds"

If you know git you can create a pull request, otherwise just send me the ini files.

If you find the time, thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc N
msg tools
mbmbmb
Great additions! I really like the added tiles, expansions, and peril.

I'll look into the monster data entry and see what I can do for the expansions that I have (SoN, LoR).

Are there any plans to add a randomized token result (ie flip a token over and if result = X, do event Y)? But the activating the token might not be the same result each time you play.

In my quest I have 3 tokens and (ideally) I'd like them to be randomized so each time you start the quest the objective one is in a different location.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc N
msg tools
mbmbmb

The Egg Thieves, Part I: To Steal a Dragon


https://www.dropbox.com/s/5waok7y1pm29w3k/quest.ini?dl=0

Click 'run', go to %appdata%, then your Valkyrie subfolder.

Create a new folder (EditorQuestX) and place the Quest.ini file into that folder.

Run Valkyrie and play the quest! Recommended for 4 heroes.

I still need to playtest this some more for less than 4 heroes, but it should work. I plan on adding at least 1-2 more quests in this series.

Please let me know if you find any bugs/problems. Content-wise, its finished, it just needs some polish and text editing.

EDIT: Updated quest text and formatting

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
liquidlogic wrote:
Are there any plans to add a randomized token result (ie flip a token over and if result = X, do event Y)? But the activating the token might not be the same result each time you play.

In my quest I have 3 tokens and (ideally) I'd like them to be randomized so each time you start the quest the objective one is in a different location.

Yes you can do this! have a look at the red/blue tokens in the updated example quest.

in short: have an event with a number of following evens and set the order to 'random'. It will pick one of these events at random and from there you can set flags and do whatever you like. You can even do this to have complete map changes like MoM.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
liquidlogic wrote:

The Egg Thieves, Part I: To Steal a Dragon


https://www.dropbox.com/s/t06fi1tjpnocj9s/quest.ini?dl=0

Click 'run', go to %appdata%, then your Valkyrie subfolder.

Create a new folder (EditorQuestX) and place the Quest.ini file into that folder.

Run Valkyrie and play the quest! Recommended for 4 heroes.

I still need to playtest this some more for less than 4 heroes, but it should work. I plan on adding at least 1-2 more quests in this series.

Please let me know if you find any bugs/problems. Content-wise, its finished, it just needs some polish and text editing.



Great I'll check it out. FYI you can call the directory anything (doesn't have to be 'editorquest', that is just what happens when you create it in the editor). Also you can zip this up and rename it to '.valkyrie' and valkyrie will use it like that (and you can give the file the name of the quest).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
liquidlogic wrote:

The Egg Thieves, Part I: To Steal a Dragon


https://www.dropbox.com/s/t06fi1tjpnocj9s/quest.ini?dl=0

Click 'run', go to %appdata%, then your Valkyrie subfolder.

Create a new folder (EditorQuestX) and place the Quest.ini file into that folder.

Run Valkyrie and play the quest! Recommended for 4 heroes.

I still need to playtest this some more for less than 4 heroes, but it should work. I plan on adding at least 1-2 more quests in this series.

Please let me know if you find any bugs/problems. Content-wise, its finished, it just needs some polish and text editing.



I haven't gone through in detail yet, but a couple of general things. Probably best to consistently use italics to separate flavour text from functional text. Also a lot of the time I wasn't sure what was and was not an action (for example interacting with the rubble at the start).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
0.5.2 update has a full quest! Please check it out, let me know what you think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Zywczyk
msg tools
Gonna try it today I hope!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, just wanted to tell you that this is an awesome initiative and to keep up the good work. I wanted to write a lot of stuff, but never seem to find the time to do it, so this is just a short messege to hopefully keep your spirits up
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almeras Fella
msg tools
+1 community generated content is the only way to keep demand for endless content
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soo, did the project die? You did a lot of work in the beginning but the last few weeks have been very quiet. I can't help but ask, because I saw the thread about legal problems with fan-content over on the FFG forums. It would be very sad if so...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
kenhaun wrote:
Soo, did the project die? You did a lot of work in the beginning but the last few weeks have been very quiet. I can't help but ask, because I saw the thread about legal problems with fan-content over on the FFG forums. It would be very sad if so...


Nope. Certainly I have slowed progress because of other things going on, but it's still ticking along. Either way I'm slowing down on D2E though as it is fully playable, want to get MoM to that level.

What things would you like me to be working on? Personally I think the next big thing for D2E is this:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/5

which I haven't had any bites for help on as yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
I have found something slightly disturbing. The text in the FFG MoM app is obfuscated (XORed with 68264378). This in itself is trivial to get around (obscurity is not security!), but it is a bad sign. This is currently not in RtL, but adding it in suggests they are making efforts (however primitive) to stop people accessing app data, which will limit open app replacement options... we will have to wait and see.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Good to hear! And because I'm actually focused mostly on mansions of madness myself, I'm all the more happy to hear that that is what you're working on.

As for what I would like to see next. Honestly, I am a very visual person, so I would like to see skinning on the interface. I think that would help a lot with immersion.

Other than that, I also think the editor needs work. I kind of feel ungrateful for saying this, because you've been doing so much work already and I have not spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how it works, but I also think that is part of my opinion about software: you shouldn't have to spend too much time wrestling with the software. The software should be there to help you to work faster.
As an example, just now, I tried booting up the newest version, loading up the editor, and placing a tile but I started getting frustrating before I'd even placed it in the right place. The darkness of the background means I can't really see where I'm placing the tile. Also, when I click to place the tile I only have a vague idea of how the tile is placed in relation to my mouse pointer. An interactive drag-and-drop system would be nice here. Or maybe a snapping feature? And there are probably other things as well. As I said, I haven't spent that much time with that yet.
But I also realize that this is a lot of work to do for, perhaps, not that much payoff. Just, you know, keep it in mind once you have the games working and if you ever feel like going over the editor again

I can also see how obfuscating the data is slightly worrying. However, I'm not sure fantasy flight are anymore okay with you ripping the data from the application compared to packaging the image files with Valkyrie. I'm sure that they would rather that you didn't do any of those things. But, I'm not a lawyer so I don't know if one thing is technically more legal than the other.
I have considered the possibility of creating a set of unofficial tiles by finding some nice parchment texture and doing simple line drawings on top. I think it might actually look decent, without being too much work. Unfortunately, I'm suffering from some health-related issues that means I can't really do it. That is also why I can't offer any more help, unfortunately, even though I would love to do so.

But yeah, keep up the good work.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
kenhaun wrote:
As for what I would like to see next. Honestly, I am a very visual person, so I would like to see skinning on the interface. I think that would help a lot with immersion.

The issue here is that it would have to be unique to each game type, so it is a fair bit of work. Also I am really, really not an art person, so the best I could do would be take the UI art from the official apps, but there are cases when this wouldn't work so well, so for now it is just a clean flat interface. The first thing I would do is get a logo/banner for Valkyrie (anyone want to do this?)

Quote:
software: you shouldn't have to spend too much time wrestling with the software. The software should be there to help you to work faster.

In general I agree. There are some complicated concepts in quest creation though so I feel it is always going to need good documentation. At this point having the documentation external (https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki/QuestGuide) rather than internal is just easier. This documentation is out of date and could use some work, again happy for any volunteers.


Quote:
... placing a tile but I started getting frustrating before I'd even placed it in the right place.


You are right the this isn't great, I might add a hover overlay but probably won't do much else here at this point. I find that laying out the tiles is the quickest bit of quest design, particularly when compared to nesting complicated events and writing dialog (don't even bother in the editor - it's just bad right now). Note that it does snap to the grid but not to tile connectors (as I don't know where these are).

Quote:
But I also realize that this is a lot of work to do for, perhaps, not that much payoff

Yes, I am much more interested in getting the game play good, to me this is more important.

Quote:
I can also see how obfuscating the data is slightly worrying. However, I'm not sure fantasy flight are anymore okay with you ripping the data from the application compared to packaging the image files with Valkyrie. I'm sure that they would rather that you didn't do any of those things.

Maybe, maybe not. Many people would agree that projects like this only increase their product value, however if they were to officially condone such a project they *may* affect their legal protection of their IP. Standard practice is to remain silent.

Quote:
I'm not sure fantasy flight are anymore okay with you ripping the data from the application compared to packaging the image files with Valkyrie. I'm sure that they would rather that you didn't do any of those things. But, I'm not a lawyer so I don't know if one thing is technically more legal than the other.

I'm not either but I understand that neither is illegal. If they were to deploy DRM (assuming we don't count this obfuscation as DRM) and Valkyrie were to overcome this DRM, Valkyrie *may* be in violation of DMCA due to bypassing DRM, but not from the actual use of the assets (again, not a lawyer). This is why we get silly situations where you can buy a DVD and are allowed to make personal copies, except that you aren't allowed to bypass the DRM which stops you making the copies you are allowed to make.

Quote:
I have considered the possibility of creating a set of unofficial tiles by finding some nice parchment texture and doing simple line drawings on top.

An interesting idea, but at this point I am not too worried. If I get locked out of the official apps my next step would be low res scans. FFG do have a right to shut this down, but they are usually OK with low res content and it would look bad to do so. If all that fails to be honest I will probably just give up.

Quote:
I'm suffering from some health-related issues that means I can't really do it.

Sorry to hear it, take care of yourself!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BruceLGL wrote:

The issue here is that it would have to be unique to each game type, so it is a fair bit of work. Also I am really, really not an art person, so the best I could do would be take the UI art from the official apps, but there are cases when this wouldn't work so well, so for now it is just a clean flat interface.

Yeah, I could see that it would be quite a bit of work, and while I wouldn’t say that it needs to be done, I do feel that it should be done at some point. I always figured that you would just use the UI art from the official apps. However, like you’re using text files to define tile information and the art associated with those tiles, I figured you would create a number of text files that specify the specific art assets to be used in the various games, and then does reference those in the code to make it easy to change the UI. So, say, a standard dialog box would be defined by a top, left side, right side, bottom, and center texture, perhaps repeatable if the dialog box needs to be bigger. But, I’ll admit, I took a look at the assets ripped from the game, and I couldn’t quite figure out how it all went together, so I can see that it’s probably a lot of work. Also, my image view didn’t display any alpha channels. Do you know if the files contain alpha channels that you can read?


BruceLGL wrote:

You are right the this isn't great, I might add a hover overlay but probably won't do much else here at this point. I find that laying out the tiles is the quickest bit of quest design, particularly when compared to nesting complicated events and writing dialog (don't even bother in the editor - it's just bad right now).

Yeah, as it is I would probably lay out the tiles physically and plan out most of the story and dialogue outside the app as well before I started doing anything. If I ever get around to actually making anything, that is, as I haven’t even really had time to play the games yet


Quote:
An interesting idea, but at this point I am not too worried. If I get locked out of the official apps my next step would be low res scans. FFG do have a right to shut this down, but they are usually OK with low res content and it would look bad to do so. If all that fails to be honest I will probably just give up.

I’m happy that you’re not too worried I guess all we can do at this point is hope everything works out fine, as I really think community contents would benefit both Descent, Mansions of Madness, and Imperial Assault.


Quote:
Sorry to hear it, take care of yourself!

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
kenhaun wrote:
But, I’ll admit, I took a look at the assets ripped from the game, and I couldn’t quite figure out how it all went together, so I can see that it’s probably a lot of work. Also, my image view didn’t display any alpha channels. Do you know if the files contain alpha channels that you can read?

Yes, alpha is there. GIMP has a plug in to open DDS files, and imagemagick can concert them. Note they they are vertically flipped.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicola fiorentino
Italy
Florida
flag msg tools
hi all.. i have this kind of issue, how can i solve it?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Digital Killer wrote:
hi all.. i have this kind of issue, how can i solve it?



Have you installed Road to Legend and/or Mansions of madness? You can find them here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/477200/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/478980/

If you have, can you please send me "valkyrie_Data\output_log.txt" in your Valkyrie location?

Also note that there are minimum required versions for the FFG apps, if yours are out of date you may have this issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.