GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,480 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
25 
 Thumb up
 Hide
92 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Prerelease open Overlord App (Valkyrie) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Descent [+] [View All]
nicola fiorentino
Italy
Florida
flag msg tools
BruceLGL wrote:
Digital Killer wrote:
hi all.. i have this kind of issue, how can i solve it?



Have you installed Road to Legend and/or Mansions of madness? You can find them here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/477200/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/478980/

If you have, can you please send me "valkyrie_Data\output_log.txt" in your Valkyrie location?

Also note that there are minimum required versions for the FFG apps, if yours are out of date you may have this issue.



oh, my bad, i forgot to install RTL!
Thanks for the help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fiege
Germany
flag msg tools
Are there any free campaigns to download?

I really like your work and the App works fine, but we need more to play

I think I'm addicted

Greetz
Alex
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
GrafEssinghausen wrote:
Are there any free campaigns to download?

I really like your work and the App works fine, but we need more to play

I think I'm addicted

Greetz
Alex

I have just written the one quest. I am only aware of one other quest that was not completed in the works. You are welcome to make your own or encourage other people to.

The next update to Valkyrie will add MoM support and support for downloading quests inside Valkyrie (but I don't intend to release any more for it just now, I am focusing on making Valkyrie better).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fiege
Germany
flag msg tools
I took on the challenge

Right now I'm fighting with the Editor. If I am opening an door, it will only trigger one event. New Tiles or remove the door. I've used to do it like in your tutorial.

As you can see I'm fighting with the english language too
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
GrafEssinghausen wrote:
I took on the challenge

Right now I'm fighting with the Editor. If I am opening an door, it will only trigger one event. New Tiles or remove the door. I've used to do it like in your tutorial.

As you can see I'm fighting with the english language too


Not sure that I understand your problem. The door itself is an event, though it usually just calls another event on open. Events can add and remove any number of components. You can also chain many events together, if there is no event text they will all happen together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This work is amazing. Thanks for all the effort that you put into this.
Here is some feedback collected over the first couple of hours with Valkyrie:

Select Content
- Expansions are difficult to identify, when image is faded or highlighted as the letters on the expansion box itself are difficult to read. Better put a label below each image.

Gameplay

General gameplay
- text is sometimes too close to the text frame borders, e.g. in flavor texts, monster information
- It would be great to have the nice RtL frames for the monster activation windows.
- Display of bonus Health for unique monsters in the Monster list would be nice.
- Hero icons: „Defeated“ and „Restored“ should be replaced by „KO“ and „Recover“

Example Quest
- „This will call a silent event to increase the threat if there are 4 heroes.“ „We can set threat to a specific level“ Should be „peril“ in both cases, I guess.
- In general, the displayed texts could use a little bit of polishing.

Affairs of Wizards
- Info on Arcane Spirits: Arcane Spirits use Elemental miniatures and monster cards.
- Effect on Arcane Spirit: The Arcane Spirit moves faster than you can track. Any hero who suffers damage during this monster’s activation also suffers 1 fatigue.
- Flesh moulders do not have an effects window, is this intended?
- Acton list of master flesh moulder includes the entry „Action: Use“. Something is missing here, I guess.
- Cancel button would be nice for defeat of Flesh Moulders
- Flavor text when losing the quest should be something like „Your group of heroes fails to stop the dark magic, hopefully the Greyhaven city council can rally additional support.“
- Flavor text when winning the quest would be nice

Editor
- Input of text with multiple lines is ankward in the editor, as not all lines are always visible. Arrow keys move used to navigate the text box simultaneously move the map.
- How can I use italics or bold type?
- When testing incomplete quests, sometimes I could not select the menu button (or anything else) to quit. I had to close Valkyrie to go back to the editior.
- It would be great to be able to re-order events in the events list or have a nested structure for events. It gets messy even with only a couple of events.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Sadgit wrote:
Select Content
- Expansions are difficult to identify, when image is faded or highlighted as the letters on the expansion box itself are difficult to read. Better put a label below each image.

Added: https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/101

Quote:
General gameplay
- text is sometimes too close to the text frame borders, e.g. in flavor texts, monster information


Yes: https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/92

Quote:
- It would be great to have the nice RtL frames for the monster activation windows.


Doing this is a problem for a few reasons:
- Would need to be done for all game types which is a lot of work
- As the UI is not completely the same new graphics assets would be required
- I have almost no graphics ability

Added, but don't expect this to happen at this point: https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/102

Quote:
- Display of bonus Health for unique monsters in the Monster list would be nice.


Added: https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/103

Quote:
- Hero icons: „Defeated“ and „Restored“ should be replaced by „KO“ and „Recover“


Added: https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/104

Quote:
Example Quest
- „This will call a silent event to increase the threat if there are 4 heroes.“ „We can set threat to a specific level“ Should be „peril“ in both cases, I guess.


Threat is the internal tracker that causes perils, this text is for quest developers not players.

Quote:
- In general, the displayed texts could use a little bit of polishing.


This is only to give a quick demo to quest developers, so it isn't a priority, but I will make specific fixes if suggested.

Quote:
Affairs of Wizards
- Info on Arcane Spirits: Arcane Spirits use Elemental miniatures and monster cards.


Will fix.

Quote:
- Effect on Arcane Spirit: The Arcane Spirit moves faster than you can track. Any hero who suffers damage during this monster’s activation also suffers 1 fatigue.


Do you mean to remove "All attacks gain Pierce 2."? Probably reasonable, just checking what you are trying to say.

Quote:
- Flesh moulders do not have an effects window, is this intended?


No, will check when I get a chance: https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/105

Quote:
- Acton list of master flesh moulder includes the entry „Action: Use“. Something is missing here, I guess.


Yeah probably related to the bug above.

Quote:
- Cancel button would be nice for defeat of Flesh Moulders
- Flavor text when losing the quest should be something like „Your group of heroes fails to stop the dark magic, hopefully the Greyhaven city council can rally additional support.“


Will fix.

Quote:
- Flavor text when winning the quest would be nice


To clarify, did you not get flavour text at all, or just that it was too short? (it is only 1 line)

Quote:
Editor
- Input of text with multiple lines is ankward in the editor, as not all lines are always visible. Arrow keys move used to navigate the text box simultaneously move the map.


Yeah it is a complete mess. Will be redone completely at some point (also being reworked to support multiple languages)

Quote:
- How can I use italics or bold type?


You can use all of this: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StyledText.html

Wiki will get a significant update on all of this Soon(tm).

Quote:
- When testing incomplete quests, sometimes I could not select the menu button (or anything else) to quit. I had to close Valkyrie to go back to the editior.


Is this in the editor or playing the quest? Probably you got a crash, please send me the log in your valkyrie data directory (I don't handle all of the strange things you can do in quests well).

Quote:
- It would be great to be able to re-order events in the events list or have a nested structure for events. It gets messy even with only a couple of events.


I agree, don't have a nice solution for this yet, will think about it: https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/106
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Sorry missed one:

Quote:
- Cancel button would be nice for defeat of Flesh Moulders


Not sure about this, you have an undo and I didn't want to put in confirmations everywhere (this could apply to almost everything you do).

Edit: Sorry, realise this ends the quest now. Will have to think about this, because although I can stop it ending the quest easily the Flesh Moulders would still be gone...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
For those using Valkyrie: please update to version 0.7.0. It doesn't change much for D2E, but if you are editing it is better to go with the newer systems in place to support MoM. You can now have more than two option buttons on events, have events that the user enters a number in to and event boxes will expand to allow for long text passages.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. Will use the issue section in github for this in the future. Answers to your questions:

Quote:
Do you mean to remove "All attacks gain Pierce 2."? Probably reasonable, just checking what you are trying to say.

No, I was referring the wording here: "Any hero who suffers damage this activation also suffers 1
". Should be: "Any hero who suffers damage during this activation also suffers 1
"

Quote:
To clarify, did you not get flavour text at all, or just that it was too short? (it is only 1 line)

I see, maybe I missed that.

Quote:

- When testing incomplete quests, sometimes I could not select the menu button (or anything else) to quit. I had to close Valkyrie to go back to the editior.

Is this in the editor or playing the quest? Probably you got a crash, please send me the log in your valkyrie data directory (I don't handle all of the strange things you can do in quests well).


This was when playing the quest. However, it only happened at the start when not much was there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Sadgit wrote:
Quote:
Do you mean to remove "All attacks gain Pierce 2."? Probably reasonable, just checking what you are trying to say.

No, I was referring the wording here: "Any hero who suffers damage this activation also suffers 1
". Should be: "Any hero who suffers damage during this activation also suffers 1
"

Fixed (you can update on the download page if you have already downloaded in the new Valkyrie).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I reinforce a monster, adding its icon to the monster tracker only if it is not already there (because there are still members of this group on the map)? At the moment I get two groups of Goblin Archers on the tracker. Maybe this is only a problem with modified monster types like the GoblinMessengers in your First Blood adaption, Bruce?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Sadgit wrote:
How do I reinforce a monster, adding its icon to the monster tracker only if it is not already there (because there are still members of this group on the map)? At the moment I get two groups of Goblin Archers on the tracker. Maybe this is only a problem with modified monster types like the GoblinMessengers in your First Blood adaption, Bruce?


Appears to be a bug, I'll look into it. I did First Blood some time ago on a much earlier version, and didn't put in the polish, so I'm not sure what state it is in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to be related to unique monsters only. Regular monsters are ok.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Bruce,

I hope I do not ask a redundant question, but I haven´t found this on the wiki:

Is there a way to set or modify the hero morale value during a quest?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
DelphiDie wrote:
Hello Bruce,

I hope I do not ask a redundant question, but I haven´t found this on the wiki:

Is there a way to set or modify the hero morale value during a quest?


No, added here:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/172
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found out about this and eager to try it out. However, I downloaded and opened the latest version (0.8.4) as well as 0.8.3, on my macbook pro, and when trying to run it I'm getting and error popup "The application "Valkyrie" can't be opened.
I couldn't find any installation instructions, so I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong?
I'm on MacOS Sierra, if that matters.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
adiamant wrote:
Just found out about this and eager to try it out. However, I downloaded and opened the latest version (0.8.4) as well as 0.8.3, on my macbook pro, and when trying to run it I'm getting and error popup "The application "Valkyrie" can't be opened.
I couldn't find any installation instructions, so I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong?
I'm on MacOS Sierra, if that matters.


There are some instructions here regarding gatekeeper:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki

Another user has reported the same issue though, but I don't have a macos device so I can't help much, hopefully someone else can:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/178
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adiamant wrote:
Just found out about this and eager to try it out. However, I downloaded and opened the latest version (0.8.4) as well as 0.8.3, on my macbook pro, and when trying to run it I'm getting and error popup "The application "Valkyrie" can't be opened.
I couldn't find any installation instructions, so I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong?
I'm on MacOS Sierra, if that matters.



Turns out that what I was doing wrong was using a third party unzip utility (which apparently messed with the executable status of files in the archive). Using right-click/open with... and choosing the system archiver solved this issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugo Perillo
Italy
Salerno
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,
i installed Valkyrie 1.0.1, In Descent, i select all the H&M, all the lieutenants, and almost all the boxed expansion (but Bilehall and Chains), but when i go for a new Adventure (First Blood), i can on ly choose the 8 base classes for my heroes, none of the expansions included classes (e.g. Beastmaster).

do it need some new contents in Valkyrie, or am i doing something wrong?
Do you think you can eventually include it?

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
ugoperillo wrote:
Hello,
i installed Valkyrie 1.0.1, In Descent, i select all the H&M, all the lieutenants, and almost all the boxed expansion (but Bilehall and Chains), but when i go for a new Adventure (First Blood), i can on ly choose the 8 base classes for my heroes, none of the expansions included classes (e.g. Beastmaster).

do it need some new contents in Valkyrie, or am i doing something wrong?
Do you think you can eventually include it?

Thanks.

I am willing to bet you don't have 1.0.1, but actually 1.1.0a or 1.1.0b. 1.0.1 doesn't support classes at all. It is being added in 1.1 and the releases up so far are prereleases for testing purposes. All classes will be avaialable in the stable 1.1 release.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugo Perillo
Italy
Salerno
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the quick answer

I installed the latest available ones on your official site, thinking its the 1.0.1, but surely i am wrong

Inside the application, in the info box there isn't the version number, where can i get it?

Very good job!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
ugoperillo wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer

I installed the latest available ones on your official site, thinking its the 1.0.1, but surely i am wrong

Inside the application, in the info box there isn't the version number, where can i get it?

Very good job!

It is in the output log in Valkyrie_data or the name of the zip you got. I will add it to the about page in future.

The link from here:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki

Will always take you to the latest stable release.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Is there a way to have the Peril Mechanic runing when I create a custom quest ? I was having some fun, making my own quests and stuf, but it seens like the Peril mechanic isn't on by default. Also how do i select the difficulty of quests I created when I play it ?

This is an awesome app btw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
DakonBlackblade wrote:
Is there a way to have the Peril Mechanic runing when I create a custom quest ? I was having some fun, making my own quests and stuf, but it seens like the Peril mechanic isn't on by default.

Perils are controlled by vars. To trigger a minor peril at the end of the round as an operation in an event set $perilMinor to 1. Your event that does this can do it at a certain round number or you can get more complicated and have a threat level (use a var) that triggers the peril when threat reaches a certain point (up to you what that point is and what alters threat).

See the var list here:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki/ValkyrieVars

DakonBlackblade wrote:
Also how do i select the difficulty of quests I created when I play it ?

If you mean provide multiple options you can use an event with buttons of 'Easy', 'Medium', 'Nightmare' etc and the following events can set vars or do whatever you want to alter the difficulty. For example in Affairs of Wizards if you are playing the 'Basic' game spirits spawn less often.

If you mean display a difficulty rating on quest selection this is a new feature in 1.2, you can try the prerelease here (the editor is much easier to use, but note that quests saved in 1.2 won't work in 1.1):
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.