Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Prerelease open Overlord App (Valkyrie) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Descent [+] [View All]
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Wow that was a fast asnwer I wasn't expecting that at all hehe

I have another question how do I asign the custom Activations I create to monster groups in the quest and can I asign an Activation to 1 specific group and not to the others ?

Ill check the new version, Im nowhere near good at using the quest editor yet but Im learning and having some fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
DakonBlackblade wrote:
Wow that was a fast asnwer I wasn't expecting that at all hehe

I have another question how do I asign the custom Activations I create to monster groups in the quest and can I asign an Activation to 1 specific group and not to the others ?

Ill check the new version, Im nowhere near good at using the quest editor yet but Im learning and having some fun.

You need to create a custom monster. That can then have a 'base' monster type of a standard moster, but with a custom list of activations. Your spawn can then create the custom monster. See Affairs of Wizards or either of the Shadow Rune quests for examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Thanks a lot, that worked perfectly.

Im sorry to keep pestering you with question but I still can't quite get the Peril thing to work. Can you give me an example of how the Variable should look like to make a Small Peril trigger at the end of round 5 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
DakonBlackblade wrote:
Can you give me an example of how the Variable should look like to make a Small Peril trigger at the end of round 5 ?

New Event
Set trigger to StartRound
Add condition of #round == 5
Add operation of $perilMinor = 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Im having a wierd issue, and since I don't think Im doing anything wrong it might be a bug. Whatever I enter on any Custom Monster's "Info Box" gets dletted when I change to a different component, the text actualy gets transfered to the Custom Monster "Name Box" (as much as it fits there, the rest is just gone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
DakonBlackblade wrote:
Im having a wierd issue, and since I don't think Im doing anything wrong it might be a bug. Whatever I enter on any Custom Monster's "Info Box" gets dletted when I change to a different component, the text actualy gets transfered to the Custom Monster "Name Box" (as much as it fits there, the rest is just gone).

Yep, that's a bug, this is why 1.2 isn't the stable release.
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/476

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Hey its me again. And I have a question again. How can I make an event that activates at the end of each turn but only starts activating after a certain event happens and that stops activating after another different event happens. Let me exemplify this

Event A happens > Event B starts to trigger at the end of every turn
Event C happnes > Event B stops triggering

Also is there anywhere I can asks these questions other than here ? I feel like I highjacked the thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Answered here:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/512

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cole
New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Bruce,
I've just spent a bit of time looking into Valkyrie because it looks right up my alley! After a bit of Google-fu, I haven't been able to find a 'statement of intent' or anywhere where you outline your ambitions for this project- does this exist somewhere? If not, can I get you to let outline it here?

Also, I'm interested - what is your motivation? I think we all agree it's a cool project, but I'm interested in what's given you the drive :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
gregcole wrote:
Hi Bruce,
I've just spent a bit of time looking into Valkyrie because it looks right up my alley! After a bit of Google-fu, I haven't been able to find a 'statement of intent' or anywhere where you outline your ambitions for this project- does this exist somewhere? If not, can I get you to let outline it here?

Also, I'm interested - what is your motivation? I think we all agree it's a cool project, but I'm interested in what's given you the drive :-D

There isn't a statement of intent. There was a list of goals, though mostly they have been done! Outstanding big ones are:

* Android https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/51
* Better Quest/Scenario distribution https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/111
* Imperial Assault https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/75

Backstory:

Back in the day I really enjoyed Warhammer Quest for being able to remove the DM, and was also into the old TSR PC games and later games like Baldur's Gate. These games attempted to create a RPG game without the need for a good GM, which I see as something of a holy grail of gaming. I was interested in the GM mode in NWN as a different take on this that was exciting, but it felt impractical to me. Skipping forward (a lot) XCOM TBG was a great idea that I jumped on but after reverse engineering it (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1336141/app-internal-rules-...) I found the game itself fell flat, which was a dissapointment.

When RtL was announced I puchased D2E (I already had D1E) as I am very excited by this direction in gaming. While I do think RtL is great, there is clearly a lot of room to improve in this direction, but if nothing else I was really happy that FFG is taking this on (and bearing the HUGE flame that surrounds MoM2E and XCOM for it). MoM2E was a day 1 purchase and I find the game has some issues, but it is the kind of thing that I have been wanting to exist for close to 30 years.

One of the issues with MoM/D2E is the lack of user control and/or transparency. I enjoy transparent mechanics in my games, trial and error will always expose these anyway, so seeing something that I could repeat 100 times to work out, but the game won't just tell me really annoys me. This is why I reverse engineered XCOM, though unfotunately I found in that case revealing behind the curtain leaves the game as not so great. As MoM and D2E allow scenario specific features that can build on a common rule set this is somewhat avoided and they both have a huge amount of content to draw from to create more quests/scenarios. Personally I was interested in being able to play the traditional D2E campaigns that require a GM (Why I couldn't get D1E to the table) and the content from MoM1E I hadn't played (I have everything, but it has the same issue).

Lastly my work was sucking at the time and I needed a technical project to feel like I was doing something productive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cole
New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the info Bruce, it's very interesting! I too was somewhat disappointed in XCom, and would be very interested in playing the campaigns that come in the D2e booklets. Maybe I've missed it elsewhere, but does Valkyrie currently support custom campaigns? Or is it limited to single quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
gregcole wrote:
Thanks for the info Bruce, it's very interesting! I too was somewhat disappointed in XCom, and would be very interested in playing the campaigns that come in the D2e booklets. Maybe I've missed it elsewhere, but does Valkyrie currently support custom campaigns? Or is it limited to single quests?

It does support campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Marcos García Rodríguez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I try the app, but when I try to import the files from descent it doesn´t do anything, i try also in admin mode. Am I doing something wrong?
I copy all the files from the zip file to c/Program files/Valkyria which is the same location where my steam directory is.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Cereal Killer wrote:
Hi, I try the app, but when I try to import the files from descent it doesn´t do anything, i try also in admin mode. Am I doing something wrong?
I copy all the files from the zip file to c/Program files/Valkyria which is the same location where my steam directory is.
Thanks

What do you mean doesn't do anything? Have you tried pressing the 'descent' button? What version are you running? Please provide the log file from Valkyrie_Data\output_log.txt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Marcos García Rodríguez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean that I press the Descent Button, It start importing the files but after a few minuts it returns to the same page and shows the button retry import. I´ll post the log later, when I get back home.
I´m using the latest version that is on your link at the beggining of the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Cereal Killer wrote:
I mean that I press the Descent Button, It start importing the files but after a few minuts it returns to the same page and shows the button retry import. I´ll post the log later, when I get back home.
I´m using the latest version that is on your link at the beggining of the post.

Thanks

You need to press the big 'Descent' button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.