5 Posts

Darklight: Memento Mori» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts about having a long term goal for the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment, I'm pretty sure the game has no ending. It consists of free roaming, visiting towns, doing quests, leveling up etc., but the game never ends unless all heroes die or people feel they have seen enough; then reset the game and start again with different heroes. I think Shadows of Brimstone also lacks the feature of not being able to "win" the game. Do other people feel that there should be a clear ending point? And those playing Shadows of Brimstone, how severe is the problem with that game?

I think players having a distant goal in mind would motivate them. It's something I would like to see to be added when Dark Ice Games still plans and play tests the final form of the game. End game/quest could be optionally triggered when people feel so. There would be some requirements to do so, though. For example:
* Collected demanded number of total souls for Grim Warden or
* All heroes have reached max. level or
* Players have completed x quests
* (or potentially launching by itself if players haven't collected enough souls for Grim Warden within timely intervals)

Of course if people survive the "final" quest, they may after it finish other quests not yet played if wanting to do so. Or if playing "easy mode" and thus not having permanent deaths, they could keep leveling up and trying again later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that there is no answer to this obvious concern.
Playing until you are bored or dead, there is no incentive to that.
I heard about the concept of "acts" but it doesn't seem to be implemented in the rules for what I read so far.
It would be a side pdf of some sort, at some point.
I'm not comfortable with this.

I read that the campaign is not what the game is mainly about but i also heard it's implemented. So, if it is, why not take care of the purposes of such a campaign?

This concern is really what took me so long to jump on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Alright so it was always my plan to go with either of these 2 options:

-Release 3 Epic Quests.
Each of this Quests is extremely hard, with the third being the hardest to complete. Only with characters fully maxed out on equipment and level should be achieved.

-Release ACT I of the Main story.
This story would take you through several quests and give you some choices on the outcome of certain situations. Depending on the success of the game we would keep on releasing new ACTS as downloadable .pdf (unless it becomes so popular we decide to make them into separate expansions with their own monsters and map tiles).

The first option is the easiest and quickest from our point of view to design and release, so until we are really pressured for time or we risk delays, we'll go with the design of ACT I. If we were unable to release ACT I it is something we will later make available for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be 2 modes, right? Not sure how the modes intervene with each other.

1) Campaign Mode (ACT I) - specific Quests played in linear(?) order. I wonder how well this works with free roaming options.

2) Free roaming mode. There are 36 quests to choose from combined with elements of traveling and visiting settlements. I'm not sure how next quest is meant to be decided. I was just thinking that this mode would start with Awakening introduction Quest (presented in update #18). After this new quest options would be unlocked by visiting towns and traveling to certain locations. Quests would have introduction texts similar to the example quests presented. Introduction quest would give the long term goal that players have vision to go towards to. After playing x game days (or by any other means) a "final" Quest would be unlocked: Accursed meet Grim Warden final time. He is satisfied with their work and lends them freedom willingly or is not satisfied even if Accursed performed well and it's time for final epic battle. There is not of course Grim Warden miniature with this release so a story like this won't work. However, if quests have introduction texts, this also works like a long campaign in my opinion. However, a separate campaign mode may tell more or from a different view point about the world of Darklight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
batanen wrote:
There will be 2 modes, right? Not sure how the modes intervene with each other.

1) Campaign Mode (ACT I) - specific Quests played in linear(?) order. I wonder how well this works with free roaming options.

2) Free roaming mode. There are 36 quests to choose from combined with elements of traveling and visiting settlements. I'm not sure how next quest is meant to be decided. I was just thinking that this mode would start with Awakening introduction Quest (presented in update #18). After this new quest options would be unlocked by visiting towns and traveling to certain locations. Quests would have introduction texts similar to the example quests presented. Introduction quest would give the long term goal that players have vision to go towards to. After playing x game days (or by any other means) a "final" Quest would be unlocked: Accursed meet Grim Warden final time. He is satisfied with their work and lends them freedom willingly or is not satisfied even if Accursed performed well and it's time for final epic battle. There is not of course Grim Warden miniature with this release so a story like this won't work. However, if quests have introduction texts, this also works like a long campaign in my opinion. However, a separate campaign mode may tell more or from a different view point about the world of Darklight.

The game has precisely 3 modes: Basic Rules, Advanced Rules and Roleplaying Rules.

Basic Rules - Allows you to play the tutorial Dungeon and how to generate one of the random 36 quests.

Advanced rules - These will allow you to travel to settlements and deal with their locations, building a reputation and so on.

Roleplaying Rules
- These will turn the game into a full roleplaying experience and will add the fifth player known as the Dark Master which creates stories, NPCs controls he monsters etc..

1 - The campaign will give you choices that will inevitably lead you to the dungeons, so although the dungeons are played in order, how you get there might vary. You may also discover hidden conversations and unique dungeons.

2 - You will find how to generate one of the 36 random quests in the rules draft we have attached to the KS campaign, it is quite simple really. It would be nice to have one overarching story divided in 36 quests but this is not like this for a few simple reasons: 1. Once you completed the 36 quests you would run out of content, we didn't want that, we wanted to create a large number of quests that even if you already played, you could replay them because of the highly randomised nature of them but if they would be following an overarching story then this would make less sense. 2. If we did a story, we didn't want it to feel shallow in terms of development "You killed the bad guy, now a new bad guy appears, go kill him" instead, we wanted to give you a proper story, like something you would read from a book, that is broken by the action parts when you enter a dungeon. Big part of Darklight has always been about generating amazing stories, so narrative is a big part of it.

Lastly, the way that random quests and the main story quests works is the same as any other videogame RPG you might have played. During the main story you will be presented with "break points", during these break points you may either just continue with the main story or do any of the random quests, visit settlements and so on until you are ready to resume the story. Once the main story is complete you are free to just continue your own adventure, make your own stories or perhaps download stories made by other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.