$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Pyramid Arcade» Forums » General

Subject: Three Trio's = ??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about what to call three trios (or nests). I thought about just calling a nest a nest, and using "trio" to refer to three nests. But the already established literature run counter to this idea, and that would just create confusion. So I propose this . . .

Three Large, Three Medium, Three Small, all the same color, is an "Arcade Stash".

This combines the old term "Icehouse stash" with the new smaller Arcade grouping. I think everyone familiar with the Looney Pyramid system and the Arcade will instantly understand this term, making it easy to adopt. And it will eliminate any Three trio's confusion, (a trio of trio's? A Niner?) You can see where that's going . . . "Cats and Dogs, Living together!"

What do you all think, yes?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Three trios" seems very clear and unambiguous and unconfusing to me - more so than "Arcade Stash". So I'm not seeing the value in inventing a new term...?

It's not even supportable by brevity: both are 2 words long, and "Three trios" (or better yet, "3 trios") uses fewer characters than "Arcade Stash".
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Russ. Most people say "stash" anyway to refer to the icehouse stash which would be ambiguous with arcade stash, especially to people who only are familiar with one term. If you want a shorter term, I think "three-o" is probably the better way to go.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also an established usage of referring to three-trio games as 3house games.

Treehouse = 1 trio per player
3house = 3 trios per player
Icehouse (full stash) = 5 trios per player

4house and 2house are easily intelligible interpolations. I think of six-trio-per-player games (Caldera and ...?) or ones that require even more as "Overhouse."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
There is also an established usage of referring to three-trio games as 3house games.

Treehouse = 1 trio per player
3house = 3 trios per player
Icehouse (full stash) = 5 trios per player

4house and 2house are easily intelligible interpolations. I think of six-trio-per-player games (Caldera and ...?) or ones that require even more as "Overhouse."
3house refers to 3 rainbow stashes. The OP wants something to refer to a single set of 3 trios
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Carthoris wrote:
There is also an established usage of referring to three-trio games as 3house games.

Treehouse = 1 trio per player
3house = 3 trios per player
Icehouse (full stash) = 5 trios per player

4house and 2house are easily intelligible interpolations. I think of six-trio-per-player games (Caldera and ...?) or ones that require even more as "Overhouse."
3house refers to 3 rainbow stashes. The OP wants something to refer to a single set of 3 trios


Eh, they often amount to much the same thing: 3HOUSE games that use color to identify players are games that require 3 trios per player, as I said.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Eh, they often amount to much the same thing: 3HOUSE games that use color to identify players are games that require 3 trios per player, as I said.
But there are many games that use multiple Three Trios where color is not used to identify players, many of which are in Arcade. The terms are not equivalent.

Just have a look through the rule book. You will see the phrase "Three Trios" used in some form for most of the game's necessary equipment. Having a single term to mean this could be useful the same way having the term "Stash" is useful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
But there are many games that use multiple Three Trios where color is not used to identify players, many of which are in Arcade. The terms are not equivalent.

And to the extent that this is the case, I'm with Russ. "Three trios" works fine and seems like no burdensome overhead of verbiage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not Verbiage, if anything it's Nouniage (Oh no, did I just "verb" the word "noun"? TO META, way to Meta!). But I kind of like using 3house. "Three Trio's"is just bad writing that wouldn't be used anywhere but in STEM writing or board games. If a speech writer put that in a speech for one of their clients, they would be fired. I'm not worried about brevity, typing a few more or less characters isn't even a consideration. Confusion while doing a verbal explanation is the problem I'm trying to head off. "Three Trio's" is not designed to be spoken and readily understood. Reading that term, or writing that term, is less confusing and less ambiguous then speaking that term. It will cause problems, especially introducing new players to Looney Pyramids, which is going to start happening a lot more when the Arcade gets delivered.

Richard's point about using 3house is also a good one, though. A 3house is not the same as three monochrome trio's. Same point will apply to 2house and 4house . . .

Mmmm, back to the thesaurus . . .

(Three-o??? let's put that in the same waste basket as "Niner", to be used only as a last resortcry)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out, in music ensembles, a group of nine is called a "Nonet" . . ugh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also there IS a noun for a group of nine, "ennead". Not an evocative or illustrative word, since no one is going to know it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over at thesaurus.com "related" to a "group of nine" are the suggestions, "crew" (meh) or "squad", which isn't bad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 3Tree? A trio that is stacked with large on bottom and small on top is a "tree" so 3 of them is literally 3 trees.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooooh . . . This is pretty good.

From the old saying "A stitch in time saves nine". We could call it a "stitch". No direct connection in meaning of the phrase, but Stitch and Stash are pretty close. One word for each, they're alliterative, but distinct enough they can be differentiated.

I like.cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, "3Tree" isn't bad either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MStone wrote:
"Three Trio's"is just bad writing that wouldn't be used anywhere but in STEM writing or board games.

Well yes, it's bad because it shouldn't have an apostrophe.

But "three trios" seems very clear. Everyone knows what "three" means. And I think most people grok that a "trio" is a group of three related items; given that pyramids come in 3 sizes, it's not a difficult leap of logic to understand that a trio of pyramids is one of each size.

So I think far more uninitiated newbie people will easily grok "three trios" than "Arcade Stash" or "3House" or "3Tree" etc.

Quote:
If a speech writer put that in a speech for one of their clients, they would be fired. I'm not worried about brevity, typing a few more or less characters isn't even a consideration. Confusion while doing a verbal explanation is the problem I'm trying to head off. "Three Trio's" is not designed to be spoken and readily understood. Reading that term, or writing that term, is less confusing and less ambiguous then speaking that term. It will cause problems

I'm sincerely struggling to imagine what kind of problems you're hypothesizing.

Can you explain what you think is so confusing about "three trios"?

(I also don't understand the distinction you're making about speaking it versus writing it.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Looney
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Obviously this is something I've thought about a great deal. I don't like "Arcade Stash" -- stash has already been used and reused to the point of confusion. And confusion is the biggest worry with introducing yet more terms. I'm still a fan of the clarity of the 3House terminology but as the guy who came up with it I've long ago given up on trying to make it stick. When I started writing the Pyramid Arcade book, we went through all these discussions again, and we decided to just go with three trios because it's simply the most clear.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess what it boils down to is why is "stash" a useful term over "five trios," but having an alternative to "three trios" is not?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The word "stash" is an artifact of the actual Icehouse game for which the pyramids were invented, before other games had been designed to use them. The set of five trios was called a stash before the word "trio" was even coined to refer to a nestable (or tree-able) set of three 'mids!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
I guess what it boils down to is why is "stash" a useful term over "five trios," but having an alternative to "three trios" is not?

The term "stash" is a remnant of a bygone era. It was useful when pyramids were sold in stashes. When Treehouse came out in 2006, it started to create confusion. We eventually settled on "monochrome stash" (for what used to be just "stash") and "rainbow stash" (for a Treehouse set, although that might not apply if it's in Xeno colors). With Pink Hijinks, we had something that was no longer a stash or a set of stashes, or anything related to the number five. But it was just one thing, so we didn't really need a term.

With Pyramid Arcade, the term really loses its usefulness. I don't think we need another term to replace it. The term "trio" is superior as a base unit of measure. Three trios. Five trios. It's clear, relatively concise, and you don't need to learn a new term to understand each particular collection. I made a game that uses 8 trios in each of 5 colors (for a four player game). Actually, you only need 4 trios in the 5th color. It's a weird combination of pyramids, but I can describe it simply with just that one term.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like three trios
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've seen a 6-trio monochrome stash called a Superstash, perhaps a 3-trio set can be called a substash, haha.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.