Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game with AH yesterday (just the base game + AH), it was an easy win for the Allies with Japan and Italy running out of cards by about turn 14. My impression is that the Allies are now even stronger.

The Allies' 2 extra starting armies on the board, each getting 2 extra VPs/turn and both needing an Axis power to land battle them before getting back to the stutation where the base game starts, does seem to be a big advantage. Added to this, the increase in the number of cards which force discards seems to favour the Allies, who are much better placed to run down the enemy decks.

Please can someone point out what I've missed - what are the new options/strengths for the Axis in AH to balance the above out?

(Edit 1 + 2: to fix typing errors)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Axis is definitely under pressure to get off to a quick start. The Allies can win on Turn 4 or 5 if the Axis is sluggish.

But I think the Axis got the more powerful new cards in the expansion. Ardennes Offensive, Sea Lion, Spain, and Fall Weiss are very strong, while Japan raises its points ceiling with the new scoring cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One play so far and it was an Axis win. I was concerned too but some of the new Axis cards are a lot more powerful than the new Allied ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N P
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landkruezers and west wall change the game. You just can't invade Germany like you used too. We had an axis win on our first game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played yet, but I had assumed that the addition of the new factions would water down the decks of the UK & USA and make it harder to maintain pressure in Europe.

is this the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. No more bombing campaigns and Sea Battles launched from China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlefolk,

I have played many games where expansions seem to be added to extract more money from the players and, in themselves, add very little to the game or just clutter it with extra rules to justify their existence.

I have played Quartermaster General on its own, Quartermaster General with the Air Marshal expansion and finally Quartermaster General with both the Air Marshal and Alternate Histories expansions. Each expansion has taken the game to a new level without spoiling it by unnecessary complications and I strongly feel that the best experience is to be found in playing the base game with both expansions.

The more I play it, the more I feel that this is perfectly balanced and that each player, no matter which country they play, has a great time because of the subtleties involved in handling the strengths and weaknesses of each deck.

As far as I am concerned, this game sets a new standard for both co-operative and competitive play.

Warmest regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone

I can be a fair gap between games of QMG as we need to assemble exactly 6 players. So it's great to know that we have a lot to look forward to and a lot to learn (at least I do) in the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:

The more I play it, the more I feel that this is perfectly balanced and that each player, no matter which country they play,

I'm glad to hear this. A fair number of our games have been (QMG or QMG + 1st Expansion) have been lopsided, but it's mainly just card variability (and the inclusion of new players). Adding even more variability has me worried, but I'm hopeful for this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.