Archipelago» Forums » General

Subject: Succesive red crisis in phase 6? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Man Sun
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crycry
Tried a game today, a two-player-game, we encountered an ocassion that in phase 6, successive red crisis appear, when we reveled the evolution cards.

So, we solved the first one immediately, then a player bought a evolution card. He revealed the next card, it was red crisis again, however, it required another unavailable resources. We were at 2nd turn which no such resources available in any hexa-tile at all. We raised rebellion level.

Cards destoryed, the next two card revealed. The cards were red crisis again and not the resources we had again. We lost the game.

I wonder if we did anything wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did right.

the first games are hard.

If you don't explore enough (to have wild resources), you should take less evolution cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and build churches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man Sun
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The red crisis appeared were export crisis which casuing +1 rebel per missing resources.
if we do not have that resources, it is definitely rebellion +3. Two sucessive revealed red export crisis, caused us to +6 rebellion.

A church does no help in these "accidental + unexpected + unprepared" export crisis at all.

In the first few rounds of game, except skipping buying cards to "play safe". What else we can do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you had a very unlucky - but statistically possible outcome.
Not much players can do to protect themselves from such a large streak of bad luck. However, in general these are things that can help.

(1) Explore, (but not too much as that might create too much unemployment).
An exploration token can be contributed to any crisis. (since it counts as a wildcard resource).

(2) Add some (but not too much) population to the island through hiring or breeding.

(3) Use the transaction action or ports to put resources in the Foreign market. Extra good cause you get money for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Doesn't sound like you did wrong, but I'd say you made the mistake of buying/getting rid of too many evolution cards at once.

Just to make sure, in phase 6, the following happened:

1 - First Crisis (why was this triggered?)
2 - Player bought an evolution card, Second Crisis
3 - Destroyed two evolution cards, revealed Third and Fourth Crisis.

The only thing I don't know what's going on is the first one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As already said:
- Build Churches; they are so much valuable in combating the crises. While they seem to be the weakest buildings out there, their value really shines at that point.
- Have exploration tokens in hand.
- Do not explore too much. A growing unemployment will quickly get the rebellion through the roof.

I may add:
- Make sure that the domestic market especially (not the foreign) has abundant resources. Especially fish, fruit and cattle in that order. Fish is the most commonly demanded resource in internal crises; try to put fish in the market, if having a choice.
- Try to collectively help in combating a red crisis during Phase 6. Remember, that Phase 1 will follow up, making every rebel stand up, thus it's irrelevant who is a rebel and who isn't; just the sheer numbers matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
So is no one else concerned about what triggered the first crisis? I'm having a hard time seeing how it would even be physically possible for a 2-player game to trigger 4 crises in phase 6 of turn 2.

Turn 1 - Player A rotates two cards, Player B rotates the same two cards.
Turn 2 - Player A buys one card, rotates another. Player B rotates the same two cards from Turn 1, destroying them.

Most number of possible crises = 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
So is no one else concerned about what triggered the first crisis? I'm having a hard time seeing how it would even be physically possible for a 2-player game to trigger 4 crises in phase 6 of turn 2.

Turn 1 - Player A rotates two cards, Player B rotates the same two cards.
Turn 2 - Player A buys one card, rotates another. Player B rotates the same two cards from Turn 1, destroying them.

Most number of possible crises = 3?

change turn 2 to:
Turn 2 - Player A buys one card, rotates one of the turn 1 cards, destroying it. Player B buys one card and rotates the other turn 1 card, destroying it.

4 cards removed, so 4 crises possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
abredon wrote:

change turn 2 to:
Turn 2 - Player A buys one card, rotates one of the turn 1 cards, destroying it. Player B buys one card and rotates the other turn 1 card, destroying it.

4 cards removed, so 4 crises possible.

Thanks, I couldn't see it just because it seems like such a dangerous thing to do. But I'm still wondering if that is what the OP did. I'm still wondering what triggered the first crisis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.