Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Schneider
Germany
near Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
apologies if that has been answered, I did a search for solo game and couldn't find it.

One question about the neutral opponent. It says in the rules that he is there so I can reduce resources and steal from him. Does he has starting resources and production values I can reduce? So I can only reduce it until he is at 0? How does he start, with how many points, resources, prduction? I couldn't find anything in the rules about this, sorry if I missed it somehow.

Thanks for any help. Only played a two player game single handedly so far and wanted to start the full solo game now with the extra cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The neutral opponent is abstracted in the solo game, there's nothing to keep track of.

If a card says steal resources, just take what you get from the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
Steve Carey wrote:
The neutral opponent is abstracted in the solo game, there's nothing to keep track of.

This is correct. The abstract opponent have endless production and resources to steal or reduce. The rule is there to make more cards playable in solo where you have no human opponents. Otherwise several cards would not be allowed to be played because the rules say that you must always perform all effects of a card in order to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
near Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, guys for the quick answer! Off to terraform Mars then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EagleEye80 wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:

This is correct. The abstract opponent have endless production and resources to steal or reduce. The rule is there to make more cards playable in solo where you have no human opponents. Otherwise several cards would not be allowed to be played because the rules say that you must always perform all effects of a card in order to play it.

This statement is mostly true. Red-bordered resource icons do not have to be resolved. Also, you can still play a card that would increase a Global Parameter or give your resources, even when that Global Parameter is already maxed out or you are unable to take the resource (e.g. the card grants an animal resource on another card, but you have no animal cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jordan
United States
Universal City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do your Mega credits start at? I do not see this in the rule book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jordan
United States
Universal City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Tharsis Republic get the 2 mega credit steps upgrade as well in the solo game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
inmysights wrote:
What do your Mega credits start at? I do not see this in the rule book?

The solo version is basically the Corporate Era expansion game, which means you start with no production on your player board, only what your corporation gives you.

I think that Tharsis is actually mentioned as a special case in the solo rules; You get money production for the 2 neutral cities. So Tharsis starts with 2 MC production, and then get 1 more production when they place their free city on the first turn. Sounds good? It is, but it's still difficult to succeed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions concerns the neutral city and greenery tile placement in the setup. I think, it is not written that clear in the rulebook.

In the rules, it is stated, that you have to discard the top 4 cards of the deck and use their cost numbers to determine the position of the tiles. Do I have to add up all the cost numbers of the 4 cards and then all the tiles are placed based on this number, or is it rather: Card 1 cost number -> Tile Placement of City 1, Card 2 cost number -> Tile Placement of City 2, Card 3 cost number -> Tile Placement of Greenery 1, Card 4 cost number -> Tile Placement of Greenery 2?

I tried both and like the second version much better. In the first version, sometimes you'd have to count a big number of spaces on the board (I had over 50 spaces to count in my first draft with all card cost numbers added up.).

So, what is the right method?^^

Thank you in advance!

Edit: Ah, nevermind; I found it in the great video of Mac Kern, where he explains the solo rules. It's actually logical; I think I had some difficulty to understand it, because of my cold.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Webster
United States
PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maniac wrote:
My questions concerns the neutral city and greenery tile placement in the setup. I think, it is not written that clear in the rulebook.

In the rules, it is stated, that you have to discard the top 4 cards of the deck and use their cost numbers to determine the position of the tiles. Do I have to add up all the cost numbers of the 4 cards and then all the tiles are placed based on this number, or is it rather: Card 1 cost number -> Tile Placement of City 1, Card 2 cost number -> Tile Placement of City 2, Card 3 cost number -> Tile Placement of Greenery 1, Card 4 cost number -> Tile Placement of Greenery 2?

I tried both and like the second version much better. In the first version, sometimes you'd have to count a big number of spaces on the board (I had over 50 spaces to count in my first draft with all card cost numbers added up.).

Thank you in advance!

Edit: Ah, nevermind; I found it in the great video of Mac Kern, where he explains the solo rules. It's actually logical; I think I had some difficulty to understand it, because of my cold.laugh

Wow! Was I doing that wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maniac wrote:

Thank you in advance!

So what is the answer? I didn't see it in that video anywhere around the setup section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card #1 cost = how many spaces to count from upper left to place non-player city, skipping reserved ocean spaces.

Card #2 cost = how many spaces to count around the outside edge of the city to place the greenery hex, again skipping any non-legal places such as ocean reserved spaces or off-board spaces or Noctis City reserved space.

Card #3 cost = how many spaces to count backwards from lower right to place 2nd non-player city, skipping the usual.

Card #4 cost = how many spaces to count around the outside edge of the second city.

It doesn't really state WHERE to start that count for the Greenery tile, but as long as you're consistent before drawing the card for the count as to where you're going to start counting, it doesn't really matter. (I always start with the upper left hex - if it's eligible - and go clockwise from there.)

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DocSavage2001 wrote:
Card #1 cost = how many spaces to count from upper left to place non-player city, skipping reserved ocean spaces.

Card #2 cost = how many spaces to count around the outside edge of the city to place the greenery hex, again skipping any non-legal places such as ocean reserved spaces or off-board spaces or Noctis City reserved space.

Card #3 cost = how many spaces to count backwards from lower right to place 2nd non-player city, skipping the usual.

Card #4 cost = how many spaces to count around the outside edge of the second city.

It doesn't really state WHERE to start that count for the Greenery tile, but as long as you're consistent before drawing the card for the count as to where you're going to start counting, it doesn't really matter. (I always start with the upper left hex - if it's eligible - and go clockwise from there.)

Dave

Let's nitpick!

Card #1 cost = how many spaces to count from upper left to place non-player city, skipping reserved hexes such as ocean spaces.

Card #2 cost = how many spaces to count backwards from lower right to place 2nd non-player city, skipping the usual.

Card #3 cost = how many spaces to count around the outside edge of the city to place the greenery hex, going clockwise and starting from the top left hex, again skipping any non-legal places such as ocean reserved spaces or off-board spaces or Noctis City reserved space.

Card #4 cost = how many spaces to count around the outside edge of the second city, again going clockwise and starting from the top left hex if possible.

End nitpick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:
DocSavage2001 wrote:

Dave

Let's nitpick!

Card #1 cost = how many spaces to count from upper left to place non-player city, skipping reserved hexes such as ocean spaces.

Card #2 cost = how many spaces to count backwards from lower right to place 2nd non-player city, skipping the usual.

Card #3 cost = how many spaces to count around the outside edge of the city to place the greenery hex, going clockwise and starting from the top left hex, again skipping any non-legal places such as ocean reserved spaces or off-board spaces or Noctis City reserved space.

Card #4 cost = how many spaces to count around the outside edge of the second city, again going clockwise and starting from the top left hex if possible.

End nitpick.

Agreed -- that's the way I interpreted the rules, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:
DocSavage2001 wrote:

Dave

Let's nitpick!

End nitpick.

No nitpick. I had a couple things wrong. Thanks for correcting them, though I was doing them right all along except the order of city, green, city, green, instead of city city green green. Can't imagine that would have any actual impact though I suppose a couple expensive cards could put cities next to each other...

So, thanks for the "nitpick"! I'll have it right from here on out!

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.