GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,788 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Project: ELITE» Forums » Rules

Subject: A question about Caress rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neils Madsen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hadn't even thought of it until a friend of mine was doing it during a game... Can Caress take multiple steps from a single activation of a weapon? The scenario in question has Caress equipped with The Judge with it's wound stat boosted to 5+. I didn't notice anything amiss 'til I saw the player roll 3 wounds and kill and walk up a line of 3 biters. I had always assumed you assigned all your wounds from the space you activated the weapon from and then activated his ability?

So, my question is who's right? Can Caress plow through the enemy ranks like that? It didn't seem overpowered in the instance above though that could be due to the player who was doing it being a slow roller...? I allowed it during that game but I wanted to be sure for future reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb O
msg tools
I'd actually been wondering that for a bit. I don't actually have the game yet, so I'm not sure on the exact wording of his card, but I think it's 'step into a square when you kill an alien' or something similar. I don't think you would be allowed to do that, as the gun kills them all at once. They all died simultaneously, but you were only next to one when it died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagumoto wrote:
Can Caress plow through the enemy ranks like that?

I think so, yes. we've had a similar case before.
if he has the right weapon, rolls multiple hits and stands in front of a group of aliens with only one HP, he's good to go.

edited for correction. caress may take only one step extra per weapon activation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that it's against the rules to 'keep' some of your hits unassigned until after Caress has moved via his ability so that you can kill an alien and get the movement bonus again all in a single attack's roll.
It also feels completely overpowered as it provides more than 1 free movement AND artificially increases the weapon's range.
His ability is already good when allowing one step per attack, if you resolve it like above he becomes a monster.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Pre-order 13 Ghosts today!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
one step per attack

As Vasilis mentioned above. You can get one step per weapon activation

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neils Madsen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool, that's how I figured it was meant to work and I've been playing it that way since then. Just wanted to make sure I was correct with that ruling.

I allowed it during that game as that player was a very slow roller... Like it took him two turns to get out the front of the abandoned lab and he didn't even search anything level slow. I figured that'd be overpowered for most situations and I've since made sure people understood it the way I did before play began. But with the designers themselves answering rules questions I figured I should ask (so said player can't fuss about that change in the future).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbr├ąten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3pod wrote:

Thank you

Thanks for the clarification, although I find it a little backwards. Caress' card actually says "Whenever you kill an Alien...", which in no way implies that it can only be done once per weapon activation. Also, you don't directly give a clarification on the other central question, whether or not you could split up the hits before and after the move. With your clarification you're not saying that I'm not allowed to roll my attack, kill one alien, move into its space, and then kill another alien with the same attack that was out of my range before the move, given that I have hits to spare after the first kill.

The way I interpret all this is that you roll your hit dice for the attack, apply any hits on aliens within range (1 in this case), and after all hits have been assigned and spent, you get to move into one space in which an alien was killed by your attack. Hence, one step per weapon activation. Am I correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
3pod wrote:

Thank you

Thanks for the clarification, although I find it a little backwards. Caress' card actually says "Whenever you kill an Alien...", which in no way implies that it can only be done once per weapon activation. Also, you don't directly give a clarification on the other central question, whether or not you could split up the hits before and after the move. With your clarification you're not saying that I'm not allowed to roll my attack, kill one alien, move into its space, and then kill another alien with the same attack that was out of my range before the move, given that I have hits to spare after the first kill.

The way I interpret all this is that you roll your hit dice for the attack, apply any hits on aliens within range (1 in this case), and after all hits have been assigned and spent, you get to move into one space in which an alien was killed by your attack. Hence, one step per weapon activation. Am I correct?

He actually answered to all your questions. By redirecting to my own post where all of the above are answered. Nowhere in the manual is mentioned that you are able to 'keep' hits for later so common sense dictates that all hits should be resolved simultaneously, then you can make a single move if you killed anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbr├ąten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
Indeed. My bad.

No problem. Caress is a really good character. He fits with my playstyle perfectly, easily wrecking mobs provided he has a fast rolling weapon. Even if he can't 'keep' hits for later, his ability is really powerful as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.