Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Everyone - now that time has elapsed and individuals have had a chance to play the two main boxes and the expansions I was curious what those who have played the game think of it.

I am not asking for opinions on MCG, just opinions on game play and components. Thanks.

- Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
Hey Everyone - now that time has elapsed and individuals have had a chance to play the two main boxes and the expansions I was curious what those who have played the game think of it.

I am not asking for opinions on MCG, just opinions on game play and components. Thanks.

- Cheers

Excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin.

Do the expansions add a lot or are the base boxes sufficient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:

- Cheers

This is one of my groups favorite games. We've played quite a few games with just the base set but have only played a couple of the expansions. They do add some but I would say the 2 boxes are more than enough to keep you happy for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the OLGS no longer carry. I know Assasination Protocol is on their website it is their plans to reprint the game? Possibly at a different company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
Thanks Kevin.

Do the expansions add a lot or are the base boxes sufficient?

Expansions each add a faction and faction missions... a lot of game in the base game, but expansions worth having.

As for OLGS, they were originally being sold via Miniature Market, but that got pulled pending fixed copies. Should be in retail soon I would thing, but only Counter Threat, not both initially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Granollers
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very good game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Components are great. I like the tiles. The minis, once put together, are quite nice.

Gameplay is questionable. Overall, I don't think it's a good game, taken on it's own. When the game works, it can work well. When the game doesn't work, it exposes a lot of its inherent weaknesses.

Overall, the game feels very gamey. That is to say that a lot of things you do in the game do not feel like a fair representation of what they might in the real world. Thus guns run out of bullets in a few trigger pulls, they have awful range and somehow manage to create holes in floors but not walls. There are several more examples (fire can pass through walls without damaging the walls, etc).

This may not bother some folks. It does to me, only because I really like theme that mesh solidly with the mechanics.

My primary complaint is the pacing, which is a tricky thing to handle when the game is run by an AI. Still, the beginning of the game starts out quite interesting with the agents (blips) moving around and the group having to proceed carefully to get the lay of the land.

The mid part of the game is where I find the first true problem. The game controls the type of enemy by the over all security level (SL). I find that the SL jumps up rapidly. It seems that the game rarely spends time at the mid SL. It's either low or leaps up to 3-4.

The end game can be great or frustrating. That's sorta of how I mean that the game can work or not work. Sometimes, you can complete the objective. Sometimes, the objective is impossible to achieve.

I've found that, for the most part, my group can complete the objective by taking advantage of those 'gamey' mechanics. Since you can create holes in the floor for example, and you know enemy forces arrive near stairs, you can just blast holes in the floor to cut off the stairs.

I also find it a dice fest, which is not my favourite.

Anyway, I'm not at all saying that it's a terrible game. To enjoy the game, I introduced several house rules and my group likes the game. It fills a void (office invasion) and is a solid beer and pretzels game. But I still feel that the game is heavily flawed. Your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure if this is included in the discussion, but the tabletop game is a lot of fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:

Overall, the game feels very gamey. That is to say that a lot of things you do in the game do not feel like a fair representation of what they might in the real world. Thus guns run out of bullets in a few trigger pulls, they have awful range and somehow manage to create holes in floors but not walls. There are several more examples (fire can pass through walls without damaging the walls, etc).

This may not bother some folks. It does to me, only because I really like theme that mesh solidly with the mechanics.

Thought this was an interesting observation and it might be useful heads up to like minded players, my gut feeling however is that I don't agree with it. Every game has to make decisions on scale and resources to make the game work within the medium and timeframe in which it is presented. Recon makes a fair stab at modeling those things in a way that works in the game and is clearly a representation of realism without necessarily being realistic. So pistols and shotguns have range 1, most guns range 2, and long range weapons 3 or 4. So it follows reality, in that some guns shoot further than others, and in a way you might expect. It breaches reality in that all guns would probably be able to shoot the length of the office. Similarly fire represents a dangerous spreading damage effect, which for me is more important than whether you can move through walls damaged by fire. (This is actually not unrealistic as fire tends to spread through ducting and other openings long before it destroys the actual walls in an area if they are of substantial construction.)

There are areas where I think Recon can legitamely be called gamesy. These tend to relate to OpFor movement such as blocking doors by standing outside them, running past bad guys if the area capacity allows etc. Generally however these seem like reasonable compromises to get the game engine to work.

I really like the game but the biggest question mark I have is whether it is a co-op or a solo game? The precision required to play well opens it to major Alpha player syndrome and the very variable game length/pacing and difficulty can make a single game unsatisfying for a group. These however work perfectly for solo play and I'm beginning to think this is where Recon is strongest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
westcl2 wrote:
not sure if this is included in the discussion, but the tabletop game is a lot of fun

It is an excellent game and is more Splinter Cell style, you have to manage the situaion based on the encounter, the office layout and the team you use.

The rules have been improved .

I randomly create the room from the required tiles , plus the "matching" building tiles.

After it laid out I may move some tiles around for theme, e,g, Switch Security and Server room when the latter is near an entrance and the former buried away but not for ease of play. If ther are no entrances to a corridor I amy add a door or two , not always.

I agree about the collateral damage but I think yo have to limit some things , I see it as the room collapsing rather than jus floor. A few plays in and the fact that it only goes up 1 level per attack means you can manage situations and create ambushes without too much CDD.

I recently received the TT rules and that looks good to and have seen ideas for marrying the two.

It is fun and tense ad frustrating but has many narrative moments. Plenty of variety in the base games and much more with expansions. Includiing alternatibve games , lockdown etc.

It does require a few full games to get into , rather like special forces, SWAT practice. All games need to abstract detail to simulate "real world" what else do you expect ? They normally do this to focus on the main challenges as seen by the designer, in Recon , this is to manage your skills , resources and time to acieve number of objectives. It is also set in a future time line and the weapons and ammo used could well be modified to the situation they are intended to be ued in, so I wouldnt worry about how thye compare to a modern battlefield or law enforcement waepon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My comments are here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Walther
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My quick bullet points of this game MERCS RECON
- Rulebook is a nightmare on most regards, FAQ was released. You will probably need a trip to YouTube to learn how to play
- Missions are without any story and mostly the same or confusing to understand
- Some minis are awesome, some are not
- Quite fiddly with tracking things
- I have played over 15 games so far, some have been fantastically close, some have been way too easy. Seems not too balanced, not too sure if that is good or bad LOL
- Breach and clear mechanic can be super cool but if you fail, you lose, period. If you have a bad rolling episode (common in my world) you will probably lose
- tons of factions which is a plus below, not so much variety with the bad folks, too bad
+ Rolling tons of dice and destroying the environment is wicked fun
+ Unique abilities of the factions are very fun and different
+ Interrogating office workers is pretty awesome
+ Some minis are awesome, some are not
+ Kickstarter exclusives are fun

= Hard to recommend but it isn't without its fun. Has some great concepts but with so many great co ops out there, I just don't see this getting to the table too often. I'm enjoying it solo, so maybe that will be the sweet spot for this game.

Blessings
Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.