Subject: Card sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alex christodoulides
Cyprus
cyprus
flag msg tools
Hello All

I have seen the dice tower review and tom said it is a bit hard to get the sleeve cards out of the binders. I want to sleeve my cards but now Tom got me thinking. I am talking about the binders only since the deluxe set has space for sleeve cards

PS. How many cards in total is the deluxe set? if i remember correctly it was around 800. i am asking because i want to buy sleeves for the cards
Also the sleeves i am looking are measure 2.31in x 3.56in (59mm x 92mm. Do they fit?

thanks in advance
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
The deluxe set includes

*8 starter decks of 10 cards each for 80 cards (the neutral starter is duplicated here)
*20 Hero Cards for another 20 cards 100 so far
*20 Specs, each of which includes 2 copies of each of the following {2 Tech I units, 5 Tech II units, 1 Tech III unit, 3 Spells and 1 Ultimate Spell } for another 480 cards. 580 so far
* 12 map cards 592 so far
* 71 cards for various token units 663 total - although this is where my count gets fuzzy, the KS page and promo information I'm basing this on does not all agree about number of tokens
* 20 Spec cards to indicate which Spec was chosen at Tech II 683 total
* A x4 Worker and a x5 Worker card for each of the 7 colors 697 total
* a number of smaller cards to indicate tech buildings built and add-on buildings such as the tower, surplus, heroes hall and tech lab These do not look like they are sized for standard sleeves, but I'm guessing they are justification for the marketing claim of "over 700 cards".

tl,dr: 700 sleeves will very probably cover everything what can be sleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they standard magic sized?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex christodoulides
Cyprus
cyprus
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for the run down of the cards you saved me a couple of bucks my friend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Are they standard magic sized?
yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
rabid_schnauzer wrote:
The deluxe set includes

*8 starter decks of 10 cards each for 80 cards (the neutral starter is duplicated here)
*20 Hero Cards for another 20 cards 100 so far
*20 Specs, each of which includes 2 copies of each of the following {2 Tech I units, 5 Tech II units, 1 Tech III unit, 3 Spells and 1 Ultimate Spell } for another 480 cards. 580 so far
* 12 map cards 592 so far
* 71 cards for various token units 663 total - although this is where my count gets fuzzy, the KS page and promo information I'm basing this on does not all agree about number of tokens
* 20 Spec cards to indicate which Spec was chosen at Tech II 683 total
* A x4 Worker and a x5 Worker card for each of the 7 colors 697 total
* a number of smaller cards to indicate tech buildings built and add-on buildings such as the tower, surplus, heroes hall and tech lab These do not look like they are sized for standard sleeves, but I'm guessing they are justification for the marketing claim of "over 700 cards".

tl,dr: 700 sleeves will very probably cover everything what can be sleeved.

This is true, but I think it's rather higher than necessary. Heroes and the worker cards don't want to be in the same kind of sleeve as other cards. Personally I'd go for picking up 5 sleeves in each of red, green, blue, black, white, purple and brown, and sleeve the heroes and worker cards in those. The only ones that all need to be interchangeable are the ones in codexes and the ones in starter decks, which is just 8*10 + 24*20 = 560. The tokens might like to be sleeved, but shouldn't be sleeved in the same style as the starters/codices because you don't want to shuffle tokens into your decks.

In particular, the 20 spec cards and ?8-20 add-ons can't be sleeved in the same sleeves as the full-size cards - they'd look very silly and wouldn't fit in the spaces on the board/playmat that are marked out for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I chalk some of that "stickiness" of the sleeved cards not wanting to come out of the binders cleanly up to the fact that they are BRAND new. Brand new vinyl on vinyl is bound to have this happen, and I'm willing to wager once the binders and sleeves have been used for a bit that this should be less and less of a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:

In particular, the 20 spec cards and ?8-20 add-ons can't be sleeved in the same sleeves as the full-size cards - they'd look very silly and wouldn't fit in the spaces on the board/playmat that are marked out for them.

Yeah; really, they're not meant to be treated as cards, but as cardboard bits that you play the game with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Burns
msg tools
crparis wrote:
I chalk some of that "stickiness" of the sleeved cards not wanting to come out of the binders cleanly up to the fact that they are BRAND new. Brand new vinyl on vinyl is bound to have this happen, and I'm willing to wager once the binders and sleeves have been used for a bit that this should be less and less of a problem.

Really? With new sleeves, I've found the opposite to be the case. They tend to be "slippery", to the point where they can't be stacked very high, because the stacks are unstable due to insufficient traction between the cards. For instance, newly-sleeved commander decks are always falling over.

In any case, experience with Mage Wars has taught me that perfect-fit sleeves work really well with the binder-as-deck model, although I'm not sure how well they work for shuffling, since there is no shuffling in Mage Wars. Perfect-fits are usually clear, so you couldn't do any kind of card-back distinguishing, but they will protect your cards to some extent while not getting caught up in the binders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Adding my text from another thread:

---

There is no need for perfect-fit sleeves. The binders are specifically designed to make it easy to put in cards / take out cards that are in normal sleeves. They have enough space in the pockets to help with that and the top of all the pockets are cut off, which makes it a lot easier to slide cards out. The official sleeves are the same size as Dragon Sleeves. If you don't want the official ones for some reason, I've personally found Dragon Sleeves to be the highest quality alternative (though some prefer KMC).

---

I think Mage Wars binders are just standard, stock binders and weren't constructed specifically to make adding/removing cards easy. So perhaps that's why perfect fits are good in them, I can't say. But normal sleeves are great in our binders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Ralter
msg tools
Does anyone know if the Ultra pro icon blocks the health/attack stats?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!! Do not use Ultra Pro sleeves. The logo is in the worst possible spot on my print and play cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Ralter
msg tools
Bigsixer wrote:
YES!!! Do not use Ultra Pro sleeves. The logo is in the worst possible spot on my print and play cards.

I thought that may be the case. Thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The logo is over the tech number on my print and play cards. Annoying, but the game is still playable without problems because the bottom edge of the cards have different colors for each tech level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone know if Fantasy Flight sleeves fit in the binder slots? The dragon sleeves are 67x91mm but I can't find the equivalent for FFG sleeves. The custom sleeves shown in the dice tower review look to be an exact fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
msg tools
HarryCanyon wrote:
Anyone know if Fantasy Flight sleeves fit in the binder slots? The dragon sleeves are 67x91mm but I can't find the equivalent for FFG sleeves. The custom sleeves shown in the dice tower review look to be an exact fit.

You (and I) will probably be after Fantasy Flight Standard (grey) sleeves.

I assume the measurements on the FFS sleeves refer to the standard card dimension as opposed to the measurements of the sleeves themselves, since my 63.5x88mm Fantasy Flights are taller than (and the same width as) my UltraPRO 66x91mm.

I also sleeve everything in Fantasy Flight, but I'm holding off until my copy arrives because their sleeves tend to be taller, so I'm not sure how nicely they'll fit in the binders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Few thoughts... the cards are slightly bigger than Magic cards, slightly. I don't know how much different but sleeves like Ultra Pros are a tight fit. I found Dragon Shield to be a decent fit for it but the clear ones are sticky. I never used Dragon Shield before so I wasn't sure if it was normal. I also had a hard time opening the sleeves to stick the card in... wasn't sure if I had a bad batch.

For anyone who used KMC Hyper Mattes, how well does the card fit and protected? I like to have some room at the top for clearance which is why I didn't want to get the official card sleeves. I'm assuming they might be easier to sleeve since those sleeves are designed for double sleeving.

And with the binders, for those who sleeved do you stick both cards in one slot? Or do you put one card in per slot? I'm worried that thicker sleeves might be a hinderance with the binders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved the entire game in Dragon Shield matte sleeves (other than a few clear ones as necessary. The o my issues is once they are in the binders, 2 cards to a slot, the binders are too thick to close the lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
msg tools
Bigsixer wrote:
I sleeved the entire game in Dragon Shield matte sleeves (other than a few clear ones as necessary. The o my issues is once they are in the binders, 2 cards to a slot, the binders are too thick to close the lid.

That's also the case without sleeved cards as far as I'm aware.

To follow up on my earlier comment regarding Fantasy Flight sleeves, they do fit the binders two per slot, however the top row *can* poke out the top of the binder if they're not pocketed deeply enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
Few thoughts... the cards are slightly bigger than Magic cards, slightly. I don't know how much different but sleeves like Ultra Pros are a tight fit. I found Dragon Shield to be a decent fit for it but the clear ones are sticky. I never used Dragon Shield before so I wasn't sure if it was normal. I also had a hard time opening the sleeves to stick the card in... wasn't sure if I had a bad batch.

I had the same experience with Mayday standard sleeves (green), and found the cards to fit really tightly, even though I was reusing sleeves from a different game. So it's not the batch. It's the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I started sleeving this game with fantasy flight sleeves today. I only sleeved the first page of the binder using two cards in each slot and it absolutely worked fine. The sleeves go a little taller that the next line but they don't seem to push up onto the top of the pocket above it, there's just enough of a gap. It was also easy to pull the cards out of the slots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Schmuelling
msg tools
mb
Anyone else noticed that the KMC perfect size sleeves do not fit so perfectly as in other games? Feels to me like the cards are just a tiny little bit wider than your usual MTG or Mage Knight card.
The codex cards bend in the perfect sizes - at least for me they do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.