Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to ask the community their recommendations on a newer game (published within the last two years) that is more along the lines of a classic I-go-you-go type game with no chit pull mechanics. This game would also have a VASSAL module and would be suitable for PBEM.

I prefer WWII themed games but I am not limited to just that era of military history.

Thanks !!!

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of Mark Simonitch's '4X games would fit the bill.

Ardennes '44
Normandy '44
France '40
Ukraine '43

He also has a game up on GMT's P500 that will probably be out in a year or so, in Holland '44: Operation Market-Garden.

Some of the games listed above are OOP, but others have recently been reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Your last-two-years requirement eliminates some stunningly good games. You sure publish date is important?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Library of Napoleonic Battles - can't go wrong with Napoleon's Last Gamble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Battle: Ie Shima, 1945

Holdfast: Russia 1941-42

Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles / Ghost panzer (2nd editions)

Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

OK, question time: how easy is it to play BoB over email/Vassal? You have a lot of back and forth with Command Range, and even when 1 player is moving, how does Op Fire work? I've always wanted to play BoB over Vassal, but it seems like even 1 turn could take 10-12 log files. Happy to be proven otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
airjudden wrote:

OK, question time: how easy is it to play BoB over email/Vassal? You have a lot of back and forth with Command Range, and even when 1 player is moving, how does Op Fire work? I've always wanted to play BoB over Vassal, but it seems like even 1 turn could take 10-12 log files. Happy to be proven otherwise.

With the risk that each movement in enemy sight can trigger opportunity fire... there is no way I will ever play this by mail.

2nd the Simonitch games like Ukraine '43 or France '40

Other good options would be:
Bitter Woods: Designer Edition
Day of Days: The Invasion of Normandy 1944
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
airjudden wrote:

It's a piece of cake. Seanmac and I played over e-mail for years. First, you have to learn how to do an 'interrupt.' Do so by going here. Follow the links and read my PDFs (the 4th one in particular).

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1162174/how-play-vassal-liv...

If you can't do a basic interrupt, you can't play most games. Many CDGs have an intercept move. Heck, even C&C games have some form of ambush card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Your last-two-years requirement eliminates some stunningly good games. You sure publish date is important?

I maybe familiar with some games outside of the 2 year range, but please suggest anything you think would be a good game, I would be grateful for the recommendations !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Simonitch '4X series of games is what you're looking for here. They play great over PBEM and the Vassal modules for these are very well done.

The Napoleon 20 series is good too if you're open to some lighter-weight early 19th century action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pride of Vassal is the Command & Colors: Ancients module; the best implementation of a great classic design. The Spartans came out about two years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
The pride of Vassal is the Command & Colors: Ancients module; the best implementation of a great classic design. The Spartans came out about two years ago.

I second this, as well as C&C Napoleonics. Great games for VASSAL. Also any MMP/Gamers SCS game should meet your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

Holdfast Russia works great PBEM as each side can do a whole turn, no need for interrupts. However, in my current game, my opponent and I are having trouble with the current VASSAL module in that it won't allow the other player to see your units when targeted for combat. Worked great for two PBEM games between us, but when we switched sides for the third, things went south. Hopefully we'll stumble upon a solution. That aside, Holdfast: Russia is a perfect PBEM game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:

There's just "extermination" in those games, there's no "explore, expand and exploit", so they're not true 4X games.

On a more serious note, I support your suggestion. I have played France '40, and know that it is almost perfect for PBEM. Just make all attacks at the same time, then let the defender implement all retreats at the same time. That way, there will be only 3 logs for each player turn: Phasing player moves/attacks, non-phasing player retreats, phasing player finishes his turn.

Another WWII-game which I have found to be excellent for PBEM is Empire of the Sun, if card-driven games are OK. In that game each player turn (that is, each card played) require 3 logs: Phasing player makes his moves, non-phasing player reacts and resolves combat, phasing player finishes his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:

On a more serious note, I support your suggestion. I have played France '40, and know that it is almost perfect for PBEM. Just make all attacks at the same time, then let the defender implement all retreats at the same time. That way, there will be only 3 logs for each player turn: Phasing player moves/attacks, non-phasing player retreats, phasing player finishes his turn.

Sometimes a retreat may impact the other combats, in those cases, you just skip the combats that it might impact and move on to another part of the board. The other player then conducts all retreats to that point and you come back and finish off the rest of the rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe is okay PBEM, but combat resolution/movement are so integrated (not to mention the combat chits you play as modifiers and air support) that you really need to do something like play by forum where you can post images to give options for retreat hexes, ask what chits will be used, etc. Whatever you can do to make it so the other person doesn't have to open up VASSAL to respond really helps to speed up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
On the up side, it is the best board game since sliced bread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sushidog wrote:
airjudden wrote:

Holdfast Russia works great PBEM as each side can do a whole turn, no need for interrupts. However, in my current game, my opponent and I are having trouble with the current VASSAL module in that it won't allow the other player to see your units when targeted for combat. Worked great for two PBEM games between us, but when we switched sides for the third, things went south. Hopefully we'll stumble upon a solution. That aside, Holdfast: Russia is a perfect PBEM game.

Be sure under preferences you have the box checked that says your opponent can unmask your pieces. If so, then right-clicking and selecting a unit for battle should flip it automatically.

But somebody did screw with my module, so no guarantee they didn't screw this up. Be sure both sides are using the latest module and that it is NOT the latest, as I cannot vouch for that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.