$30.00
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I made a little thrift run Friday into the next county where the big Goodwill store and Goodwill Outlet are, and bought this metal case for $2.12 in the outlet:

I imagine it's some kind of kids' toy case or something similar, but don't see any identifying marks.

It's really well made, with sturdy hinges and good construction all around:

The interior is open and roomy:

The liner that was in it was already warped, brittle, shrinking, and coming away from the sides, so I just peeled it out and tossed it back in the bin -- no sense paying for that when I'd be charged by weight! That also gave me a chance to examine the construction from the inside.

The case will easily and neatly let me carry a goodly number of small games; this shows the new Castles of Burgundy Card Game resting inside:

Dimensions of the interior are about 9 3/8 inches long, just over 6 inches wide, about 4 1/2 inches from the bottom to the lip, and around 1 1/2 inches "overhead" space in the lid.

Obviously I need to do something about relining the case in order protect games stored within, and to look nice too, and this is the part I could use some coaching and advice about. My qualifications are that I don't mind working with my hands and I know how to be patient and careful when measuring and using tools, but my primary disqualification is that I've never undertaken a project like this before, so I'm not at all sure how to go about it.

I'm also interested in suggestions about what to use for my materials, and how to cut and shape those, how to affix them into the case, etc. The first thing that comes to my mind is thick felt and hot glue, but I have no personal experience or knowledge to know if that is practical or even wise.

As it happens, I do have a much smaller case that I could practice on for my first attempt at relining, now that I think about it, so that might be a good idea too -- I'd be far less concerned if I mess that one up, but wouldn't mind having it finished if I do well on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks like a professional makeup case.

I'd line in thin flexible foam that you can get a JoAnn's. Easy on the glue, won't take much. Then put fabric or felt as you see fit to give it the look you like. You could even leave it loose and fold it over the top for a picnic basket kind of look.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with making a paper template first. Once you know that the paper is the right size, then use it to cut whatever material you use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
I would start with making a paper template first. Once you know that the paper is the right size, then use it to cut whatever material you use.

Great idea!

That sure reduces the cost of all the do-overs I'll probably need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'd line in thin flexible foam that you can get a JoAnn's.

Seconded, assuming it's the same as the 'craft foam' we get over here - this stuff is great for lining things.

Contact adhesive is probably the best I've found for gluing this down, by the way - although you have to be sure you have the position correct first time, because contact adhesive is the John McClane of glues - strong and durable but uncompromising and prone to bad language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So what about shaping my pieces to make the liner and then getting them installed -- should I cut a "floor" and four "walls" and put them in one at a time? Or maybe a floor and then one wrap-around piece covering the walls?

I see that we do have a Jo-Ann Fabrics here in town, and it happens to be almost directly adjacent to one of the Goodwill stores that I sometimes visit. I may even carry the case with me and make a trip over there to see if they have any suggestions, if it's the kind of store where one can do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.