Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the iconic games on the Geek (Tokaido, War of the Ring, Ticket to Ride, etc.) have a separate BGG entry for their CE cousins. But I cannot find one for TS. Have I missed it? Search turns of nothing, no market, no forums, no entries...

I even tried to find this question already answered, but, nope, could not find that, either.

I apologize if this is redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nat whilk wrote:
Many of the iconic games on the Geek (Tokaido, War of the Ring, Ticket to Ride, etc.) have a separate BGG entry for their CE cousins. But I cannot find one for TS. Have I missed it? Search turns of nothing, no market, no forums, no entries...

I even tried to find this question already answered, but, nope, could not find that, either.

Why have a separate entry? What purpose does it serve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
nat whilk wrote:

So they can list it as "owned" to rub it in to those who don't have a copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the same game, just inferior components devil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take back my remark. If someone knows nothing about the CE, it would be useful to have a separate entry in BGG that describes just the CE version.

The Deluxe version basically took over from the second edition, so it didnt' really need a new entry, but I don't think the CE version is going to replace the Deluxe Edition. I think the DE is on P500 right now even.

So, yeah, it should have its own entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it just has fancier components, it's a version. If it contains expansions/changes game play, then it can be a separate entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
If it just has fancier components, it's a version. If it contains expansions/changes game play, then it can be a separate entry.

Both, it has fancier components, yet it also includes an optional expansion Twilight Struggle: Turn Zero.
Hopefully this will be made available to the other versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

Both, it has fancier components, yet it also includes an optional expansion Twilight Struggle: Turn Zero.

Optional as in an add-on? Or only available to certain reward tiers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

+ Alternate Space Race and Special Promo cards.

oi_you_nutter wrote:
Optional as in an add-on? Or only available to certain reward tiers?

Except for the eventual limited sale of leftover CEs, GMT have not confirmed if any of these extras will ever be made available again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone just needs to enter the new version, and wait for it to be approved. It won't happen by itself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

The Turn Zero and other options are sat in my deluxe edition box - not at all exclusive to the Collector's Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maccyn wrote:

The Turn Zero and other options are sat in my deluxe edition box - not at all exclusive to the Collector's Edition.

How did you get it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
Maccyn wrote:

How did you get it?

It was available separately from the CE during the Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DownriverRick wrote:
mkiefte wrote:
Maccyn wrote:

How did you get it?

It was available separately from the CE during the Kickstarter campaign.

Yep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally missed that. I must have still been under my rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Parsons
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn Zero has its own entry as can expansion. Personally, I think having a separate entry for CE muddies the waters of what BGG is about. The GAME is Twilight Struggle: IMHO reprints, reissues, rebranding of the same game should all be collected under one entry. Otherwise BGG would not contain the 'version' and 'alternative names' fields in its database, but would be swamped by thousands of entries for, say, Chess, which has been marketed by unknown numbers of companies over the years!

As for recording your collection ... The system does permit you to own more than one version of the same game. There's also a 'comment' field if you wish to add more information (or if you have 2+ copies of the same version!)

But if each version had its own main entry, how would I log my home made edition of Fjords, for example? Apply for it to have its own entry, perhaps? And what if YOU made your own Fjords - should that have another entry, separate from mine? RAA, I think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess reprints would not have its own entries for the different editions, because there are not rules changes. We're talking about changes in rules and game play, which is why the different editions.

Your homemade edition would not get entries because it was not publicly released (available to the public). You could however make a custom version for your own collection and use a custom image to display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maccyn wrote:
oi_you_nutter wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

Oddly, GMT told me the Turn Zero/What If content was only ever done with the CE art and cards, meaning I can't play it with my regular set, just the CE.

Is that inaccurate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card front artwork does not match previous editions, however in my sets the card backs do match, therefore the cards are fully compatible with my non-Collector Edition.

I believe that the necessary Turn Zero / What if cards were printed both with CE backs and previous edition backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
indigopotter wrote:
Chess reprints would not have its own entries for the different editions, because there are not rules changes. We're talking about changes in rules and game play, which is why the different editions.

There aren't gameplay changes though. There's a bundled expansion, which is optional to play with. That expansion isn't widely available but that shouldn't make a huge diference. Otherwise every Kickstarter game that had a bundled exclusive promo would need it's own entry as "Kickstarter edition".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
nightglider1 wrote:
mkiefte wrote:
nat whilk wrote:

You can do this already. Mark as owned, set version to CE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

There's a bundled expansion

A bundled expansion is a rule change/change in game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
indigopotter wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

There's a bundled expansion

A bundled expansion is a rule change/change in game play.

I was going to say big box editions and bundles don't have their own entries. But apparently they do. So yeah, it's a fair point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
nightglider1 wrote:
mkiefte wrote:
nat whilk wrote:

You can do this already. Mark as owned, set version to CE.

Eh, it was an attempt at humor. Those fall flat sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
I was going to say big box editions and bundles don't have their own entries. But apparently they do. So yeah, it's a fair point.

Like Space Race rolls; Some do, some don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.