Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is directed more at people who are enjoying the game, and have been playing a bunch of it.

For instance, I love the D&DAS games. After many many plays, I just don't think the red encounter cards need to exist. Still love the game though, play it a bunch.

So if you're enjoying Scythe, are there things sticking out that you don't like as much now that you've had multiple plays?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My nit is that I don't get to play very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, played it four times this weekend. Still not enough to satify my craving and my other complaint is that November seems ages away, and i must be patient for Invaders from Afar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it 8 times - not nearly enough to satisfy me.

No nits, but one pick - I don't get to pick it up enough to put on the game table!

Don't look for the nits, just enjoy the 'picks.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Weaponise Demons - For a brighter tomorrow!
badge
The road to Hell is paved - by Argent energy
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a big one, but I find the insert could have been better designed.
You need plastic bags to make everything fit in the box but that makes set up and pack away a bit tedious.

I haven't found any real problem with the game itself.
After 15+ games (majority solo) I am still finding myself wanting to get it to the table.
There is still a ton of things I want to try and none of the games have been a repeat of a previous game.
I make sure that I am cycling through the various card decks in each game.
That way I don't get familiar with or see the same cards continuously from session to session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Rush City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight was our 30th play.

No nits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wieman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sort of a middle-experience issue. I'll present an example.

My group has been pretty invested in Scythe, but we haven't all played all the factions yet. So generally each game still feels very new, but we're pretty comfortable with the rules.

Our last game didn't go so well. The Polanian player seemed to be playing fine, but the Nordic player (who was Polania last game) jumped into the middle early, got the first Factory card, and cruised around the board grabbing encounters. Polania never had a chance to use his special ability (other than the encounter on his peninsula.)

As a result, Polania felt completely boxed out. At around midgame, the Nordic player recognized that grabbing all the encounters didn't actually help him much: he had all his mechs but couldn't win a combat (he'd been whittled down, partly from Polania trying in vain to stop him from taking all the encounter cards.)

The point of this story is this: if there's one nit to pick, it's that different factions play quite differently, in nonobvious ways, and by the time you realize that you need to change gears from last time, it's too late. If Polania played it again, he'd trade for metal and mech up right away, and/or build a mine; if Nordic played it again, he'd be less quixotic in the encounters. But as it stands, both of them are reluctant to play again, and want something else for a while.

Overall, this is just a nit, and involves player expectations -- other players may not have this experience. But whether the game is balanced or not, it certainly can _feel_ unbalanced, and a few plays are not enough to overcome that feeling, because the factions play so differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My nit? I got the extended board, but don't have a table big enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got nothin'

This weekend was play #19 and I just enjoy the game. Nothing really jumps out that bugs me at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve w
United States
milwaukee
wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have 25 plays logged here. My biggest nitpick is the 73% to 24% win% discrepancy that my wife seems to continually lay on me. Other than that, its a great game. Getting new players into it and having them lose pretty badly their first time or two is a small annoyance, but that has more to do with the complexity of the moving parts in Scythe and the players, than any actual negative feedback about the game. Yesterday we had a new player at the table with us, we ran through the rules, then played about 4 turns each to walk them through the game. Then we re-shuffled and re-dealt all the combat, encounter and factory cards and started over again. I read this online somewhere as a way to bring new players in and it seemed to work well, giving them a chance to drive the car without flubbing their entire first game because they drove it into a ditch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

That's certainly encouraging. Sounds like if you enjoy the base experience, it remains enjoyable for what is already a sufficient time period for me.

Looking forward to trying a version of this at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Smothers
msg tools
ExWallStreetGuy wrote:
My nit is that I don't get to play very often.

I wish I could play everyday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Rosas
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I only have one play under my belt, I really enjoyed it and I look forward to playing more. My group had one nit, and maybe folks with more experience can speak to it.

My group thought the reward values of the Popularity track might have been better if staggered a bit. As soon as you hit a certain popularity, all 3 categories are improved across the track, and then you have to push up to the next threshold, if you think you have the time and resources. If it's near the end of the game, it's probably worth doing something else because you won't have time to gain the 6 popularity needed to hit the next threshold. The thought was if each category on the track weren't even with each other, it would provide more incentive to go up one or two points on the track. Also, you'd think more about losing popularity because it could have a more immediate effect.

Again, we only played once and need to play more, so take this nit with a grain of salt. A staggered popularity track might not play as nicely with Production, or I'm sure there's lots of variables we may not be seeing yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BillJRJ wrote:
I only have one play under my belt, I really enjoyed it and I look forward to playing more. My group had one nit, and maybe folks with more experience can speak to it.

My group thought the reward values of the Popularity track might have been better if staggered a bit. As soon as you hit a certain popularity, all 3 categories are improved across the track, and then you have to push up to the next threshold, if you think you have the time and resources. If it's near the end of the game, it's probably worth doing something else because you won't have time to gain the 6 popularity needed to hit the next threshold. The thought was if each category on the track weren't even with each other, it would provide more incentive to go up one or two points on the track. Also, you'd think more about losing popularity because it could have a more immediate effect.

Again, we only played once and need to play more, so take this nit with a grain of salt. A staggered popularity track might not play as nicely with Production, or I'm sure there's lots of variables we may not be seeing yet.

For my tastes, that could be interesting. For those who clamor that combat is underrepresented, however, it only highlights the Popularity loss involved with combat and workers. With the rules as written, depending on where you are on the popularity, you can lose a several popularity from attacking without any loss. With your variant, there wouldn't be as much potential cushion room for combat.

Having said that, I'm not bothered by the combat, so I could see how your variant could be pretty interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kendl
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first nit pick is that the faction and mat randomizer cards that were in the play test version did not make it into the produced version. I don't like "shuffling" the thick cardboard pieces so I had to spend 10 minutes to make my own cards.

My other nit pick is that the tiny cardboard encounter tokens are easy to miss when playing on the epic board with realistic resources and painted minis. I took 11 leftover purple gems I bought to use as darkstone and use those for encounter tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeOP wrote:
My first nit pick is that the faction and mat randomizer cards that were in the play test version did not make it into the produced version. I don't like "shuffling" the thick cardboard pieces so I had to spend 10 minutes to make my own cards.

I hope someone with some design talent will make this and post them as a file on this site whistle

GeorgeOP wrote:

My other nit pick is that the tiny cardboard encounter tokens are easy to miss when playing on the epic board with realistic resources and painted minis. I took 11 leftover purple gems I bought to use as darkstone and use those for encounter tokens.

https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=ScytheToken...This should solve your problem and fit better with the art/theme of scythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brain nailed it. And I've already ordered the Meeplesource bits.

Though they still won't be bold enough for me; I lost three oil on a hex in a game last week. Hidden behind a mech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I guess if I had to pick a nit that would be it. The cardboard encounter markers are the only bits of cardboard left on the map...at least with a stock Collector's/Connoisseur's edition of the game. I already resolved that before even getting the game. Green glass beads are used, so all my cardboard bits (encounters & money) permanently live in a baggie in the box.

If I wanted to get really picky, the mini sculpts aren't as detailed as they could have been. But that is searching for something to complain about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kendl
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antoi wrote:
I hope someone with some design talent will make this and post them as a file on this site whistle

I used paper, pencil, marker and free hand to draw the faction symbols. So nothing to upload.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.