GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,824 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Separate "Discussions" in GeekFeed (DESPERATE NOW) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's try it here -- maybe "Suggestions" is the better place than "how-to."


I'm looking at GeekFeed (also known as the Universal Browser, also known as Recent Additions).

For example, here is my "GeekFeed"
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekfeed.php?action=viewrecent...[]=own&colfilters[]=prevowned&colfilters[]=wishlist&infilters[]=weblink&infilters[]=file&infilters[]=thread&infilters[]=thinglinked

From here, I have this page (and the content) subscribed via RSS feed (on the right-hand side). With thousands of games in my "owned" and "wish list" this made the most sense.

When I click on "filter by type" -- I have (as shown) "Restrict to Games"; "Files"; "Web Links" and "Discussions." Sessions and Reviews are not checked.

However, I also don't want to subscribe to "Rules" and "Strategy" for these games -- really, I just want "News", "General" and "Variants" - and that's it.

But, there seems no way to reduce "Discussions" - even though, obviously, such a denotation exists (since, on the game pages themselves, the discussions are broken up into "Rules"; "Variants"; etc. In fact, even within GeekFeed, reviews and sessions are already broken out -- it can't be that hard to separate "rules" and "variants" and "general" and "news" etc. -- since they all probably have the same "header" (which is used to separate reviews and sessions).

Can this please be added? I was using "FeedFilter" (running from BGG through a third party to strip out the extra items); but that seems to not be working anymore (after I've already gone through FreeMyFeed and -- before that Yahoo Pipes (RIP!). But, I'd MUCH rather simply work directly through BGG to capture the feed, without a third party included.

I'd imagine this would be a simple fix ... heck, I'd even donate again, if this could be enabled (and kept)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar

This Geekfeed is a new concept for me.
Can I ask you what it is a list of? And how is it created?
Thanks.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

This Geekfeed is a new concept for me.
Can I ask you what it is a list of? And how is it created?
Thanks.


It's one of the hidden and very very cool features of the Geek, that just lists EVERYTHING added to the site, according to the filters you set on it. In order, newly added first, and then going back in time. It can list everything – images, games, geeklists, comments, forum threads, etc etc etc. You can filter it to list every forum posts added to the games you have registered as "owned" in your collection, for example.

Hover over the button "Board Games" on the very very very top of the page, and you'll see a mouseover drop down menu, and in that one you find "Recent Additions".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is one of the coolest things - but, like I said elsewhere, you have 90% of what's needed; and the things that would allow you to view *everything* you need, is already present -- you just need a button to separate it out.

Hoping someone sees this and makes it happen (I keep checking each day, since I cannot imagine it's a big undertaking .....)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
It really is one of the coolest things - but, like I said elsewhere, you have 90% of what's needed; and the things that would allow you to view *everything* you need, is already present -- you just need a button to separate it out.

Hoping someone sees this and makes it happen (I keep checking each day, since I cannot imagine it's a big undertaking .....)


I'd say don't hold your breath. BGG is a juggernaut, and fixing things might take time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Lemur wrote:
It really is one of the coolest things - but, like I said elsewhere, you have 90% of what's needed; and the things that would allow you to view *everything* you need, is already present -- you just need a button to separate it out.

Hoping someone sees this and makes it happen (I keep checking each day, since I cannot imagine it's a big undertaking .....)


I'd say don't hold your breath. BGG is a juggernaut, and fixing things might take time.



True ... although I remember a time when simple things like this were fixed in nearly one day (or at least there'd be an acknowledgement)

Funny - on one hand, it's a juggernaut; and in other situations, people say "they're such a small operation."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.