D-Day at Omaha Beach» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tanks, artillery, and anti-tank/aircraft units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, am I right in thinking that tanks, artillery, and anti-tank/aircraft units never leave the beach due to shingle/barriers? I don't see any way for them to reach the roads.

Also, how do artillery/anti-tank/aircraft do combat with the German units? Does it come under barrage, or just plain vanilla combat?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Tanks will not be able to cross the shingle until an Engineering base is established, which cannot happen before turn 16. So you are correct in the shorter scenarios.

There exist specific criteria for tanks/anti-tank/anti-air to fire at range. At an adjacent unit, they fire like any other infantry unit.
Indirect fire (barrages) by tanks can happen anytime (but is an action, obviously). Indirect fire by unarmored units can't happen if they are in the field of fire of enemy units. And then you get into firing indirect requiring command, and the requirements for indirect fire by unarmored units is pretty daunting.

Essentially, they often are there to give the Germans more targets at which to shoot.

In the short games, these units aren't important. In the long game, just getting indirect-capable units off the beach and onto the high ground is worth points. If you can get enough of them on shore (hard enough) and then survive long enough for engineers to arrive, engineering bases allow units in beach hexes within the base's range to move as a free action, so it becomes a lot easier to get them across the shingle, onto a road, and then as a base clears the road of mines (as its range inccreases) the units climb off the beach.

In the 50 or so games I've played of DDaoB, I think I've gotten one unarmored indirect fire mission in all my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First part of the game you are correct, but they can leave the beach in the later half of the game. The engineer bases you get to deploy then let them move through the shingle and through mined roads.

Some units can barrage, some can participate in an attack, and some can do either one.
I don't know 100% which section of the rules talks about their participation in regular attacks, but I'm pretty sure it's whichever one talks about US attacks.

EDIT: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
Essentially, they often are there to give the Germans more targets at which to shoot.

You just described every unit in my games. laugh

Thanks for the input guys. And, yes, I'm doing the 16-turn game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:
Also, how do artillery/anti-tank/aircraft do combat with the German units? Does it come under barrage, or just plain vanilla combat?

Of the three unit types, only artillery can barrage. The others are essentially ranged direct-fire support units that may add their attack strength and weaponry to US attacks. See rule 8.1 for information about attack requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:

Of the three unit types, only artillery can barrage. The others are essentially ranged direct-fire support units that may add their attack strength and weaponry to US attacks. See rule 8.1 for information about attack requirements.
The tanks can barrage too, otherwise the first few turns would be quite a lot more difficult!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Brastias wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:

The tanks can barrage too, otherwise the first few turns would be quite a lot more difficult!

That's why I wrote: "of the three unit types" (i.e. the ones mentioned in the quote). But thanks for clarifying nonetheless Niko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Brastias wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:

That's why I wrote: "of the three unit types" (i.e. the ones mentioned in the quote). But thanks for clarifying nonetheless Niko.
Whoops, I totally read "anti-tank" as "tank"... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.