9 Posts

Thrash'n Roll» Forums » General

Subject: Fixes & homerules compilation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos López
msg tools
Hi folks.

I got this game in a mathtrade a couple of months ago, but so far I've been delaying the first try because of the awful rulebook and the general consensus of being a game barely balanced. There are already a ton of games around my group so I have to make sure our first game is enjoyable, or maybe it could never come down the shelf again!

I've seen a lot of posts talking about the issues of the game and some people have already suggested some fixes, but they are scattered around the forum and its a bit hard to keep track of everything.

So how about we try to put all that into one single post? If you know any variant or homerule that improves the game, please tell us about it. You can also mention other problems you've found in the game, and maybe other people can provide ideas to deal with them.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1
I have yet to play my copy .. I ordered the game from the designer because I missed the ks .. I was pissed because right after that they did a total reboot of the game and I wasn't able to ks it on some foreign site . And since I wasn't a ks er . I get shafted . Boo ! I hope at least I can send a message and he will sell me an update pack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for the upgrade material before playing the game again.

Noah - it was said that KS backers will get a discount on the upgrade pack. So I assume it will be made available to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so I wasn't a ks .. But paid after the ks pledge ended so will see . I hope I wanna love this game the theme is awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos López
msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Izdebski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so there are all clarification of things that were broken or unclear in the rulebook:

Scoring: The biggest change is in scoring at the end of the game:
I Scandals: For each scandal card you lose fame equal to the number of skill counters on the depicted band member. Then, you remove one skill counter from this band member (for each card with them depicted)
If there are no skill counters on a band member, you don't lose any fame or counters.
II Thrash'oScar: Best artists in the five categories (singer, lead guiter, solo guitarist, drummer and bass player) are awarded. Artist need to have at least one skill counter to be considered for the award.
Player with the most counters on the certain artist gets 20 points, second gets 12 points and the thrid one gets 6 points.
Players tied for position share their points. tied for first place get 16 points and then third player gets 6 points. Tied for 2nd pace get 9 points and third place is not awarded. Tied for third gets 3 fame points.
III Bonus end game scoring. After the Thrash'oScar Ceremony all bands play one last big concert (in turn order). Fame points are given just like during the Turbo Tour (no fame for Turbo tokens) and active albums are moved as normal. In case of HitWar players cannot use scandal cards.
Each band gains fame points equal to the value of its best album, Players get 1 fame for each support card they have.

The other change is in amount of turns players. The game ALWAYS lasts 6 turn, regardless of the number of players.

There is a player aid available with final rulings. If you have anymore questions, fire away.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/124645/player-aid-and-err...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos López
msg tools
Thank you Adam, that was very helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I Scandals: For each scandal card you lose fame equal to the number of skill counters on the depicted band member. Then, you remove one skill counter from this band member (for each card with them depicted)
If there are no skill counters on a band member, you don't lose any fame or counters.
II Thrash'oScar: Best artists in the five categories (singer, lead guiter, solo guitarist, drummer and bass player) are awarded. Artist need to have at least one skill counter to be considered for the award.
Player with the most counters on the certain artist gets 20 points, second gets 12 points and the thrid one gets 6 points.
Players tied for position share their points. tied for first place get 16 points and then third player gets 6 points. Tied for 2nd pace get 9 points and third place is not awarded. Tied for third gets 3 fame points.
III Bonus end game scoring. After the Thrash'oScar Ceremony all bands play one last big concert (in turn order). Fame points are given just like during the Turbo Tour (no fame for Turbo tokens) and active albums are moved as normal. In case of HitWar players cannot use scandal cards.
Each band gains fame points equal to the value of its best album, Players get 1 fame for each support card they have.

I could be mistaken but aren't these the exact same rules as those uploaded almost exactly a year ago by the designer?
I thought there would be more focus on recording albums among other things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ro L
msg tools
^ Agreed. After playing 2 times through the game, I can barely find a reason to want to make more than one single or album. Each additional album scores you a paltry 1 point.

Recording an additional single also seems wasteful when instead, pushing your one and only single to the top of the charts is a much better strategy. You're able to secure first place more often, and are able to get some solid points from visiting the radio station with 3 dice.

In both playthroughs the last few turns just comprised of us doing as many shows as possible, as all of us had our equipment and experience pretty high up that we were scoring 10+ points per visit. That strategy won out in every single way compared to making new albums / singles, which give us a measly 2 points for doing so, and an additional point for having another album on the charts.

Even with the updated rules and errata, the game is woefully imbalanced, which is a shame. I love the theme as it hits home with me and I was anticipating getting my hands on it in Canada for so long. Suffice to say, I'm sorely disappointed with it, as game balance is much more important to me than theme. I would rather play another generic themed game about goods collecting/trading if the game's mechanisms are nicely balanced, over a game that has a phenomenal theme but lacks any sort of strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.