Hide
14 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts on combat system rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julius Svensson
msg tools
When this game was first announced I was so hyped, but after watching several reviews and playthroughs I feel that FFG missed their chance to reboot the combat system. How great wouldn't it have been if combat worked something like this:

Investigators roll attack dice similar to descent: blue, yellow and red (if you're unarmed you only roll the blue dice, maybe) and both investigators and monsters defend with defence dice - brown, grey and black. BUT when monsters attack they use special dice: some hearts on the dices are small (same size as on the descent dice), but then on some sides there is only one big heart for example, meaning that the investigator takes a damage card face-up. Also, monsters roll dice that only deals insanity damage. Maybe this system would erase the need to do horror checks, streamlining the game mechanics further and making the game not as reliant on the app during combat. The app just tells you how the monsters move etc.

Now, some people might think that this makes MoM more of a dungeon crawler, but so what? The game experience would still be mystery-focused, and combat is still not the sole focus of gameplay. For all other game mechanics, you do attribute tests like usual. What does everyone else think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Farnborough
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Combat works absolutely fine as it is. You're right, it's not a dungeon crawl, and there is no reason for Combat to be complicated. Weapons don't alter dice whatsoever, it's all based on initial stats, and there's no armour. I can see you want a more cunchy combat system, but this isn't a combat game. In fact, more often than not, you'll want to avoid combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably makes the game a bit more complex. The point of 2nd ed was to streamline it. And honestly if they wanted to revamp it, there is a million different ways to do it, each with some advantages and disadvantages.

As you noted, it makes the game too much of a dungeon crawler and the bad thing about that is lost of immersion, unnecessary added time to combat/gameplay, need for more dice/components (added cost), need for more rules/programming in app etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to contradict those nay sayers that always seem to show up, I agree that the combat system could have been better. Perhaps a system like in Descent or chits you draw from a Chaos Mythos Bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Svensson
msg tools
The thing is, it's so much fun rolling different kind of dices! Doing attribute tests all the time is so boring, that's what turned me off on Eldritch Horror. Everyone keeps talking about "immersion" and story, but the actual gameplay needs to be more than that, I think. Why can't we have both an awesome story and some fun gameplay? Nobody is really gonna get "immersed" in flavor text in battle. You just wanna fight the damn monster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dargelos wrote:
You just wanna fight the damn monster!

Yahbut, traditional Lovecraft isn't about fighting monsters at all, despite the pulp influence seen in Arkham Horror. You might want to look into Strange Aeons for more fighting, possibly Pathfinder's Strange Aeons RPG, or Cthulhu Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ronda
United States
flag msg tools
I hate systems that roll for defense. It makes combat more swingy and it prolongs games.

I would've liked more dice in general (was one more die too much to ask FFG??), and different dice for different weapons would've been cool, but the game doesn't need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy

Highland
California
msg tools
mb
Could also "cast" runes (two sided tokens)... Never mind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
I'm sure many dungeon crawler fans would love that. Personally, the less dice rolling the better for me. Doing one check is quick and enough. The dice rolling aids gameplay but isn't the focus for me.

I guess if I want that, I'd play descent instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I see this as not being a bunch of adventure hardened clanks, rather ordinary people, from every walk of life. Their battle is just trying to keep from going mad starring at some hulking abomination from the very depths of hell! If they avoid soiling themselves they have fought a good battle. I just don't in vision too many 60+ y/o librarian types going toe to toe with purse snatchers let alone Dark Young!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I actually like the testing mechanic. I've never liked combat systems where you are throwing dice 'against' yourself (or other members of the team). It's a design element I've always loved in Zombicide: the zombies don't roll dice. I don't think there's ever any need for it in an AI system to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
I actually like the testing mechanic. I've never liked combat systems where you are throwing dice 'against' yourself (or other members of the team). It's a design element I've always loved in Zombicide: the zombies don't roll dice. I don't think there's ever any need for it in an AI system to be honest.

I agree. It's why I think Runebound 2e is very good solo and 3e isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:

I agree. It's why I think Runebound 2e is very good solo and 3e isn't.

Indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Leo
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
shadowsclassic wrote:
Yeah, I see this as not being a bunch of adventure hardened clanks, rather ordinary people, from every walk of life. Their battle is just trying to keep from going mad starring at some hulking abomination from the very depths of hell! If they avoid soiling themselves they have fought a good battle. I just don't in vision too many 60+ y/o librarian types going toe to toe with purse snatchers let alone Dark Young!

This is correct, and the battle flavor text in the game reflects this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.