Subject: Barbarians Rising on the History channel - opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, the Barbarians Rising series will start in the UK on Wednesday. Has anyone seen it?

Is it:

- interesting in places (worth a watch)
- standard History channel stuff (take it or leave it)
- overly dramatic crap (avoid like the plague)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Russo
United States
flag msg tools
Haven't seen it yet but thanks for the heads up, will look for some streaming sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw the first one last night on Hannibal....wow bad history plus! There were good bits but they significantly blurred which Scipio's were involved and when and ignored great swathes of the key history like The Romans taking the battle to Spain before taking on Hannibal in Africa....a very distorted view of the 2nd Punic War. Based on this episode it doesn't look good but no doubt I will end up watching the others...but certainly no keeper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatricvs wrote:
Saw the first one last night on Hannibal....wow bad history plus! There were good bits but they significantly blurred which Scipio's were involved and when and ignored great swathes of the key history like The Romans taking the battle to Spain before taking on Hannibal in Africa....a very distorted view of the 2nd Punic War. Based on this episode it doesn't look good but no doubt I will end up watching the others...but certainly no keeper!

If the first episode was on Hannibal, that belies the alleged theme of the series. Neither the Carthaginians nor the Romans were what any historian of the period would call 'barbarians'. Unless the episode is trying to say that the Carthaginians were civilized and faced a threat from a new group of barbarians, the Romans, who finally defeated them (hence, "Barbarians Rising"). But that would be very revisionist history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Hannibal usually depicted with a beard? That's really all it takes to be a Barbarian vs the clean-shaven Romans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This is the only look at me you will get. The first hint the bad guy gets that I am nearby will be the sound of the torpedo coming out of his baffles with high up-doppler.
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as you said "History Channel" I had made my mind up. They might put on something decent every once in a while, but I wouldn't know. I gave up on them long ago as a credible source for History.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I made the mistake of watching it live. With 3 minutes of adverts followed by a 2 minute precis of what had already appeared in the program so far (just in case I'd forgotten after being enraptured with the ads) I could have cut 20 minutes off of the program's viewing time.

I did like the Iberian hat Clive Russell was wearing - it looked very much like depictions I've seen of Iberian warriors.

As for the rest? Yeah, not too hot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.