Subject: Destroy item when having used dungeon ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Bek
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmb
I use the "unstable crystal" dungeon ability before battle to gain +3 attack. I attack a monster with the battle effect saying "destroy 1 item". The unstable crystal is the only item present.
Is the crystal destroyed? IF so, is the attack bonus lost?
The rules say that a card cannot be destroyed if you have used its dungeon ability, but the following sentence says that the card is not protected against monster card effects. ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think its lost indeed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot use a Village/Dungeon ability to destroy a card whose Village/Dungeon ability you've already used, unless the former ability is targeting the card it's on. Battle: effects are not Village/Dungeon effects.

The attack bonus is not lost, as you've already gained the attack power. Contrast with Heroes and Weapons, who provide their primary attack bonuses passively instead of tied to a particular triggered effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Bek
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmb
[q="tankbard"]You cannot use a Village/Dungeon ability to destroy a card whose Village/Dungeon ability you've already used, unless the former ability is targeting the card it's on. Battle: effects are not Village/Dungeon effects.

Umm... I don't understand your answer.
The rule book says that you cannot destroy a card that has been used for its dungeon ability. BUT in the next sentence it says that a card that has been used for its dungeon ability is NOT protected from being destroyed by an effect on a monster card later that turn. So if I use the dungeon ability on Unstable Crystal it cannot be destroyed - but at the same time it CAN be destroyed by the monster's battle effect?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means an ability you have control of cannot destroy the card (unless card is destroying itself). So if you use UC's Dungeon ability, you can't then use say your grey cypher (village/dungeon: destroy 1 card) to destroy the UC. Battle effects from monsters are different and the immunity doesn't apply to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpingfrog wrote:

The rule book says that you cannot destroy a card that has been used for its dungeon ability.

It says this under the section about using Village/Dungeon abilities. The restriction only applies to Village/Dungeon abilities used to destroy cards. (Yes, it is poor organization on the rule book's part. It took me about five plays to formulate the correct phrasing of this rule.)

Here are some things that are not Village/Dungeon abilities:
* Levelling up a Hero.
* Battle: effects.
* Aftermath: effects.
* Spoils: effects.

Here are some things that are Village/Dungeon abilities:
* Trophy: effects.
* XP effects (from Numenera or Into the Abyss).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
tankbard wrote:
* Trophy: effects.

Trophy effects aren't Village/Dungeon abilities (they are effects, not abilities). Even Trophy Village and Trophy Dungeon aren't Village/Dungeon abilities. If you use a card's Trophy effect, you can still then use a Village/Dungeon ability to destroy that card, though in most cases the effect persists even after destruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is why there's athird edition comming.
There's still to many of these questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.