Subject: Invincible monsters?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Bek
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmb
If a monster has health 8, and cannot be destroyed with attack 10 or higher, does it then become invincible if has a treasure adding +2 health?
Seems a bit silly that pure chance should make some monster impossible to kill. The rules don't seem to mention this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I'd probably house rule that the treasure would also increase the 10 or higher to a 12. I also was unable to find anything about this in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Bek
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sure, we could make a house rule, but I'm curious as to what the designers' intentions were. Seems odd to include traits that run a high risk of resulting in random unbeatable monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always just drive the monster off. Using Cellular Disruptor Treasure could also get you the monster.

Also, I wouldn't call it a high risk, there's four Ultraterrestrials that I think can create the dilemma combo (2x Nibovian Wife, 2x Jurulisk). Rest of the Ultraterrestrials only if they get both Dimensional Armor. Lvl 2 monsters are also the most numerous group (4 total vs 3 lvl 1 and lvl 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dornian
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When our group first started playing TS we didn't really like the "pinging" aspect of attacking a monster and sending it to the bottom of the deck if undefeated.

However, we quickly realized that there are plenty of these types of situations where monsters become unbeatable, or practically unbeatable, making that rule essential for moving the game forward.

Take for example a random dungeon (not seeded in any way) that gives three level three monsters in the first row. Or "Magic Attack Required" monster, but your random village doesn't have any magic attack at all.

The question becomes, who's going to sacrifice their turn to ping the monster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
Jolderon wrote:
The question becomes, who's going to sacrifice their turn to ping the monster

Sounds like a job for Fearmaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Village Jack + draw Green Cypher, you can knock down a lvl 3 Magic Attack Required quite easily (Tetrahydra only has 6 Health).

Also, something like Cragworm in there? Bye-bye two Regulars (Battle and Aftermath: Destroy a hero).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dornian
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but what if you have no cyphers because you haven't been able to kill anything yet? Or you didn't randomize village jacks, or it's a magic attack only monster.

My point is that there are several combinations that can make the monster ping a critically important move.

I've played about 70 TS games, some are quick and easy, some are brutal. That's what I love about the combos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be possible. However, cyphers alone are a big reason things are generally so easy in terms of dungeon forays. Need Magic Attack but nothing in the setup (have seen this happen tons of times in classic TS)? No problem, one green cypher handles all your problems.

While it's technically possible to have a no-weapon setup (2 Items, 3 Spells, 3 Villagers), haven't see that happen yet. Back in classic TS, plenty of games with no weapons and no Magic Attack around.

I think I'm getting close to 350 plays of everything TS (classic 250, TSA 60+ and Numenera 30+).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.