Hide
3 Posts

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: How does Point Defense tech work on allied battles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrique Baptista
msg tools
Yesterday evening we had a 4-players match, RotA and SotR.

Hydran (me) and Pyxis Unity formed an alliance to counter the Rho Indi / Exiles Alliance.

On the last round the two alliances met in battle.

My Hydran cruisers started by firing their plasma missiles. Rho Indi had Point Defense technology and would fire at my warheads.

I decided to target the Exiled ships since Exiled did not have Point Defense technology.

Quesiton is: on the allied combat system, could the Rho Indi use their Point Defense technology to fire at missiles that are not target at their ships, but at their allied race?

Despite a hearty argument, I ended up accepting that the technology did affect the alied Pyxis´ ships for the sake of keeping the ball rolling, but we all agreed rules were not addressing this particular situation and we should seek guidance on BGG.

For your guidance, this is what the manuals say:

Point Defense: After your opponent has rolled and allocated the dice for Missiles of one Ship type, you get to fire all your Cannons once against the incoming Missiles before they hit your fleet. Each die that hits destroys a Missile. Your Computers affect the Point Defense, but your opponent's Shields do not.

Combined battle: In combat, the players of the same Alliance battle together on the same side in the same battle, instead of fighting separate battles. If one of the Allies is the defender, all other allies are also considered defenders and win Initiative ties.

What are your thoughts on this please?

Henrique

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hint: read the examples in rulebook

On page 17 it's clearly shown that one player hits with 5 missiles.
3 are assigned to a player without PD and 2 to his ally with PD.
The player with PD hits missiles with one antimatter. Ha also has a splitter, which allows him to destroy 4 missiles, but he only destroys 2 assigned to him.

Quote:
Point Defense: After your opponent has rolled and allocated the dice for Missiles of one Ship type, you get to fire all your Cannons once against the incoming Missiles before they hit your fleet. Each die that hits destroys a Missile. Your Computers affect the Point Defense, but your opponent's Shields do not.

Note that tech description mentions your fleet. Combined battle rules only make both allies fighting together in a battle, but still each operates his own fleet separately in this battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrique Baptista
msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.