$15.00
$20.00
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this and still absorbing/cheatsheeting the rules (kudos to UniversalHead for the awesome summary).

Everything I've seen says you spend your points on Deployment and Command cards, THEN you draw the Skirmish card.

From a planning perspective, I'd want to know the Skirmish card first.

From a setup perspective, I'd like to shuffle/draw the Skirmish card first so I can put that deck away sooner.

Is there a balancing or other deliberate reason why the steps are in that order? Anybody play it in the order I described?

edit: may have answered my own question, lower point force picks starting zones and wins Initiative first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Webber
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish is the only way I play SWIA. We just decide who is going to play Rebels or Empire, take 40 points, following rules regarding uniques and such, pick 15 command cards (20 pts max iirc)shuffle and randomly choose scenario, set up map and start the battle. Yes, the player who chose the group worth the fewest amount of points get 1st round initiative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:

But then you would optimize your build to a certain mission, which is not as challenging than be ready for anything and needing to make compromises.

Your task is to build a squad that work well whatever the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
crazybyzantine wrote:
Just got this and still absorbing/cheatsheeting the rules (kudos to UniversalHead for the awesome summary).

Everything I've seen says you spend your points on Deployment and Command cards, THEN you draw the Skirmish card.

From a setup perspective, I'd like to shuffle/draw the Skirmish card first so I can put that deck away sooner.

Is there a balancing or other deliberate reason why the steps are in that order? Anybody play it in the order I described?

edit: may have answered my own question, lower point force picks starting zones and wins Initiative first round.

You should definitely play the way that you and your group likes best. The original rules are better designed for competitive play, which keeps certain scenarios/maps in rotation for a while and then cycles them out.

One reason for this is to have another way to mix up the meta-game for competitive play. With games like IA, it's inevitable that certain lists will be become dominant. Occasionally mixing up the scenarios that are in rotation for which your list has to be ready for is one tool that FFG has to keep the everyone from only playing the same lists all the time. Another way is to errata the units, but forcing you to be ready for multiple types of scenarios and simply changing the scenarios is the more elegant way to solve that problem.

Of course, if you aren't playing competitively, you should do whatever you guys find works best for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.