Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Conan» Forums » News

Subject: "On the boat" according to Asmodee website! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was looking around the Asmodee website looking for other things when I noticed on their Conan page they had it listed as being "On the boat!" (Under the "products" tab)

I hadn't seen this mentioned on the KS page and got excited, so I figured it was a worth a mention.

https://www.asmodee.us/en/games/conan/
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds right. The last couple updates said October delivery. It would have to be on the boat by now.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely this means on the boat for retail, and not related to backer pledges?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
Surely this means on the boat for retail, and not related to backer pledges?
I bet it is for both. Why would a company pay more for separate shipments? The cost of shipping to China is expensive and you get breaks based on container space. I am fully prepared to see this hit the stores shortly after the first people get their kick starters. Heck because asmodee does not control how things are shipped once they get to the US I could see online stores getting it before we do. That is just the reality of things in shipping and when you need to get cash for the next development for better or for worse. I won't be excited if this happens but I prepared for it to happen the day I pledged.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Surely this means on the boat for retail, and not related to backer pledges?
I bet it is for both.

Sure, but that's an assumption which I feel should be clarified.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Surely this means on the boat for retail, and not related to backer pledges?
I bet it is for both. Why would a company pay more for separate shipments? The cost of shipping to China is expensive and you get breaks based on container space. I am fully prepared to see this hit the stores shortly after the first people get their kick starters. Heck because asmodee does not control how things are shipped once they get to the US I could see online stores getting it before we do. That is just the reality of things in shipping and when you need to get cash for the next development for better or for worse. I won't be excited if this happens but I prepared for it to happen the day I pledged.


Well it is more successful than most CMON kickstarters and the most recent one to arrive, The Others, was on 3 separate boats to the US alone because there were that many pledges. Conan was more than double that so I'd expect all the packages to be on multiple boats.

However Monolith has said backers will get the game first so pledges and retail copies are most likely all on these fleet of boats.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they mentioned a late october delivery somewhere....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Surely this means on the boat for retail, and not related to backer pledges?
I bet it is for both. Why would a company pay more for separate shipments? The cost of shipping to China is expensive and you get breaks based on container space. I am fully prepared to see this hit the stores shortly after the first people get their kick starters. Heck because asmodee does not control how things are shipped once they get to the US I could see online stores getting it before we do. That is just the reality of things in shipping and when you need to get cash for the next development for better or for worse. I won't be excited if this happens but I prepared for it to happen the day I pledged.


Well it is more successful than most CMON kickstarters and the most recent one to arrive, The Others, was on 3 separate boats to the US alone because there were that many pledges. Conan was more than double that so I'd expect all the packages to be on multiple boats.

However Monolith has said backers will get the game first so pledges and retail copies are most likely all on these fleet of boats.

You have never seen a major cargo ship up close. The cmon pledge would not fill this ship and it would not fill the average cargo ship of 13,000 containers. It was probably on three different ships because it was an add on to a much larger shipment for a major company like Best Buy or Ashley's furniture. The others sold a little over 10k and add another 5k and that is nowhere near 1,000 containers. This is the ship that my friends company owns so yes I asked and he smiled and said Tom this ship is the size of the Empire State Building. 15000 Kickstarter pledges would fill a very small corner of that ship and any other average cargo ship
http://qz.com/681463/the-largest-cargo-ship-to-ever-land-in-...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard bad news:

I have a friend who is in the container shipping industry and he was telling me that one of the big companies out of Korea Hanjin just went belly up and many of their ships are locked in ports because Hajin couldn't get another bank loan. Hajin ships everything from Ashley Furniture and other big companies and my friend had a day from hell as companies are scrambling to find new shippers that will come and pick up their stuff in various ports, and they are having to pay extra fees and double shipping costs to get their products to the U.S. It is a giant mess.

I don't know who Monolith used for shipping so hopefully it wasn't Hanjin but this will probably impact Essen in some fashion.

Here is link: http://www.wsj.com/articles/troubled-hanjin-shipping-to-sell...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks. It's going to cause serious delays. What's weird is that they are so far in debt yet over capacity in demand yet global trade is down? Did they just not charge distributers enough for the boat?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hild Thegreat
France
flag msg tools
Hey guys, new update from KS since yesterday, very nice update.
Do not tell me that the container are stuck in the port, I hope Conan's pledge has already left China because this kind of delay would be such bad luck for Monolith again...(And very sad news for us, because the last update is so cheering!)

Edit :
Regarding to the container being locked, the compagnie is from South Korea. What are the chance that they are directely related to China shipping service?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hild wrote:
Hey guys, new update from KS since yesterday, very nice update.
Do not tell me that the container are stuck in the port, I hope Conan's pledge has already left China because this kind of delay would be such bad luck for Monolith again...(And very sad news for us, because the last update is so cheering!)

Edit :
Regarding to the container being locked, the compagnie is from South Korea. What are the chance that they are directely related to China shipping service?

Read the article. They were one of the largest cargo shipping companies in the world. They are only so many cargo companies and they are one of the largest so they were always busy even if shipping was down. They used to swipe business from my friends company because they would under bid in order to get clients thinking volume would make up the difference in lower prices. It didn't and now they are bankrupt. The only shipping industry is rather volatile because big companies want set prices for the year and they want deep discounts and don't care if oil prices go up, strikes happen, or docks close.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way I am bringing this fact up not to be doom and gloomy. I just hate all of the negative kickstarter people and I don't want a problem like this to be put on the backs of makers of Conan. No one anticipated this problem, and no one could have accounted for it. So I fully expect there is a small chance for a delay even in shipping even if they used another company just because of the sheer chaos that has been created with Hanjin going belly up. There will be a dominio effect even if no boardgame company used Hanjin, because now their small orders (compared to Best Buy Walmart etc) may no longer be looked at as a priority because the shipping companies that are still left now have the potential to land new and major clients and will be focused on new clients.

Ultimately, I would like the kickstarter backers to be patient during this new possible rough patch. I 90% believe this will have nothing to do with us because the games are already on a boat. But just in case...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
Avatar
mb
Interesting.
CNBC wrote:
The Korea International Trade Association said on Thursday that about 10 Hanjin vessels in China have been either seized or were expected to seized by charterers, port authorities or other parties. That adds to one other ship seized in Singapore by a creditor earlier this week.

The collapse comes at a time of high seasonal demand for the shipping industry ahead of the year-end holidays.

Freight rates on some routes where Hanjin operates many ships have surged.

The cost of shipping a 40-foot container on the Busan-Los Angeles route has jumped about 55 percent, from $1,100 to around $1,700, according to South Korea-based freight forwarder Pantos Logistics. Rates between South Korea and the U.S. east coast via Panama have risen about 50 percent to $2,400, it added.

DOH!
CNBC wrote:
The Korea International Freight Forwarders Association said it has been inundated with calls from cargo owners worried about the fate of their shipments in transit to the United States and Europe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
I just heard bad news:

I have a friend who is in the container shipping industry and he was telling me that one of the big companies out of Korea Hanjin just went belly up and many of their ships are locked in ports because Hajin couldn't get another bank loan. Hajin ships everything from Ashley Furniture and other big companies and my friend had a day from hell as companies are scrambling to find new shippers that will come and pick up their stuff in various ports, and they are having to pay extra fees and double shipping costs to get their products to the U.S. It is a giant mess.

I don't know who Monolith used for shipping so hopefully it wasn't Hanjin but this will probably impact Essen in some fashion.

Here is link: http://www.wsj.com/articles/troubled-hanjin-shipping-to-sell...

That was the reason why I came back to the thread. Hopefully Asmodee will clarify soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hild Thegreat
France
flag msg tools
Well, thank you for this quick summary, didn't want to create an account in order to read the article when I was looking to this post.

This kind of highlight is always interesting to share, even game designer such Monolith can learn news from us, especially when the news is related from something else then the game design or production.

Hopefully the gameboard was on its way before thie event, but as you say, hard to think there won't be a butterfly effect on all the delivery :/

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Kam
msg tools
Avatar
Hello,

Monolith does not use Hanjin for the shipping, so no impact on Conan
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BadKam wrote:
Hello,

Monolith does not use Hanjin for the shipping, so no impact on Conan

Since BadKam didn't quote a source, I will confirm Badkam is correct, Monolith on their kickstarter site stated "Hello everyone, We confirm that we do not use Hanjin vessels for our shipping. As we said, we stick to our schedule for a delivery in October." I for one, am very happy to hear this news!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Lovejay
Canada
Vaudreuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Don't thread on me!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the source citation and the excellent news guys.

Let's hope for a real October delivery!!!


...and get our hopes up too soon again
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
emylovejay wrote:
Thanks for the source citation and the excellent news guys.

Let's hope for a real October delivery!!!


...and get our hopes up too soon again


Well it is supposed to hit the shores by the second week of October. Not to rain on anyone's parade but if it gets randomly flagged one or more of these boats could have extra days in customs (something a fledgling company would have zero experience with). I have already told myself if I get the game in October I am going to be super happy but I am not expecting the game any earlier than November. I have seen games from Z-man, Rio Grande, to Asmodee sit in the port for as long as a month or more because of customs. Add to the fact that there is over 8k worth of units to North American alone (or more), it will take several weeks to unpack, sort, label, ship, and drop off the boxes. They hired a fulfillment company to do this work and many of these companies work on multiple projects at once so I think October is wishful thinking for everyone to see their copy in the U.S.. If you read between the lines of the latest post they as much said to be patient. I won't mind because I will have it before Christmas (I hope). :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.