$20.00
$15.00
$30.00
Keith Kneipp
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello, all! I've owned this game for several years, and it remains a favorite, regularly landing on my table. Since acquiring the game, I've read a decent amount about the raid, and always appreciate running across additional tidbits. That said, one of the books that I'm reading currently includes a brief mention of the raid that I'm sharing here for those who might be interested. The book is...

The Last Ditch: Britain's Secret Resistance and the Nazi Invasion Plan
David Lampe, Greenhill Books (London), Copyright 2007
ISBN 978-1-85367-730-4

As the title indicates, the book deals with Britain's efforts in preparation for the possibility of an invasion early in the war. Chapter 6 provides some information about the training of the so-called civilian Auxiliary Units being prepped for post-invasion resistance efforts. Of relevance to this post is a section toward the end of the chapter describing some of the special weapons used in training, specifically the "time pencil" with which we are probably all familiar (the chemical timer used to set off explosive material). Anyway, here's an excerpt from Page 76:

"One Friday evening early in 1942 a Royal Navy Commander, R. E. D. Ryder, arrived at Coleshill. All weekend the officers at the Resistance headquarters showed him how to handle plastic explosive and how to set time pencils. When Ryder left on the Monday morning the staff at Coleshill knew no more about the reason for his visit than they had known before he arrived. But they were soon to hear a great deal, for several weeks later Ryder led the naval force in 'Operation Chariot', the attack on the St. Nazaire dry-dock."

Thought some of you might enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sawhead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Have had this game for years but still not played it. Cant wait to get it on the table. Its getting played when i have my first all day solo boardgaming anual event.
Isnt the box cover Brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

One of my favorite games! It, and especially the raid itself, are awe inspiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kneipp
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
sawhead wrote:
Have had this game for years but still not played it. Cant wait to get it on the table. Its getting played when i have my first all day solo boardgaming anual event.
Isnt the box cover Brilliant.

You really should get this onto your table! It is well worth your time. An all day solo gaming event is also worth scheduling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thought some of you might enjoy!

Indeed. Though the information is quite flimsy and not consistent with what I know about the raid; actually I doubt whether his visit at Coleshill had anything to do with the raid at all.
- When would this have been? From the moment Ryder was involved I am pretty sure that he did not have the time to hang a round a whole day at Coleshill.
- It was not Ryder's task to care about how to set off explosives, it was Pritchard's, and he was a far better expert for it, too. Why would a naval commander care about such a tiny detail when he had his hands full with so many other problems related to his own domain, i. e. handling ships and and managing a flotilla?
- Since Ryder was involved in secretly running agents and material to the French coast I guess his visit may have been much more likely connected to those activities.

BTW, next year is the 75th anniversary of the raid. Currently the monument at the bd. Wilson in Saint-Nazaire is being renovated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, I agree with the other posters. I've played it more than twenty times, and it's always good, always different (unless Campbeltown sinks on the way in, in which case - "Run away! Run away!")

You will wonder, in the middle of turn 2, if we're all fooling you. We're not. Stay the course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.