12 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability? What can I expect from this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon McClay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the app currently has 4 missions that are randomized each time you play.

Is this similar to Time Stories where after you finish the main story, it's over?

Are we expecting more content to be released for the base box?

I was looking at the $50 expansions. Their description said each one included a new mission. $50 per mission seems expensive to me, but I want to be wrong because I want this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re-Playability? What can I expect from this game?
Replayability?
Replayability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're only pseudo-random. When you replay it, from what I hear the story is mostly the same. Only some tile, items and monster placement will be different. If you look around the forums, many people have said they've played the same scenario multiple (like up to 5) times and still enjoyed it while other says it gets boring after 1-2 plays so YMMV. The scenarios are of varying length as well, a few run about 1-2 hrs, the 3rd a bit longer, and the last one has an estimated 5 hour run time.

This question is asked a lot but ultimately we don't know what is coming up besides the two missions accompanying the two upcoming mini-expansions. In that case you're mostly paying for the new tiles/figurines etc. I think it is reasonable to expect scenario only content at a much lower cost (maybe $5-$15, I think that's generally the price range for board game related apps and Elder Signs). They'll definitely be releasing more in the future eventually since the publisher has been incorporating app content into a lot of their games recently.

I personally speculate they'll release a few free scenarios (along the same of what we already have) and more higher quality (with a gimmick) but paid scenarios, probably by winter/spring. The only other precedent was their other game Descent, they release a tutorial mission in that campaign, then in a few months i think they release a free full campaign. They've said they will release more at a cost but it's been awhile (many months) and they havent released anything else yet for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mcleod
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
Full disclosure: i've only played one scenario (#3) - i've played it three times all with 5 investigators

I think the "map generation" has been somewhat exaggerated based on my own experiences amd what i've read from other players

On my three playthroughs, two of them were exactly the same map tiles and their placements - the third of which incorporaited my 1e stuff - but with same room positions (foyer, attic, study etc)

I recon 2 playthroughs is the max you can get feelong fresh, on my third playthrough i knew exactly where to go and when, the inly factor that change was my dice rolling

I intend to do another playthrough with only one investigator to see how the game scales

Really hope they support this game with either in-app purchase scenarios or sone kinda UGC toolset for pc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The amount of randomization within the framework of the preset stories makes it more replay-able than you'd think. Sort of like Pandemic; it's the same map and agenda but the set up and events create a unique storyline each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect the suspense is lost after playing the scenario once, considering you know what the ending is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
I would expect the suspense is lost after playing the scenario once, considering you know what the ending is.

That is assuming you make it to the end before dying, or don't take too long. In my 5 plays of the first scenario I saw 2 significantly different map layouts, at least 3 different "events" mid-game due to choices I made, and at least three different variants on the ending. While the antagonist and the basic plot didn't change from play to play, depending on how long I took the way the game progressed to the ending did change somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McClay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:

updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McClay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you all for your posts. I'm pretty excited to try this out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am assuming that with the additions of the announced expansions that the maps have more chance of variance. With even more expansions, so long as there are tiles of the right type, then they will add to the existing scenarios.

Wormwood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

Plenty of movies, TV series & books I re-watch/re-read despite knowing the ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
`'YMMV', yes. Some people apparently enjoy playing the same scenario over and over. Myself, I find the first play of a given scenario is a very enjoyable story / exploration experience. The second game becomes mechanical: you have a good sense of what to do and where to go and the game becomes more of a tactical push to victory.

To be specific(map variation is greatly exaggerated in the promotional literature; I give an exact breakdown in the spoiler):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
only 1 scenario has more than 1 variation, 2 have zero variation and 1 has a single variation only with 1st edition components enabled.

I found that we enjoyed replaying all of the scenarios except for one.

If you are halfway competent at the game I think you can expect to beat a scenario in 3 / 4 plays max, sometimes less. After that, I do not personally feel they are enjoyable to replay. Each play subsequent to the second retains the mechanical feel but to a greater degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.