A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Would you recommend? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dom B
United Kingdom
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I've been thinking about buying this game for quite a while, but I just had three questions about it before I do:

1. Is it absolutely necessary to buy the expansions?
I'm a student and can't really afford to pour money into the multitude of expansions which I know are available for this game. Is it just as fun and playable to play with the core set?

2. Do you need to have watched Game of Thrones?
I'm a huge fan of the ASoIaF books but have never seen the HBO show.Will this affect my immersion in the game at all?

3. Do you recommend it?

Very simply, I've never played a LCG. Is this a good game to play?

Thanks for answering my thoughts, if you do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Aurora
IL
flag msg tools
1) no it is not, you can play casually with a starter set. It can be a lot of fun to play multiplayer
2) no you do not need to know the show or books, if you do it will add to the theme but not necessary at all.
3) it is a fun game, the basic rules are simple, but the decisions are complex. It's not a light game but it's engrossing, you will find yourself interested in deck building and expansions in no time. I recommend buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. No.

2. No. This game is actually based on the books! (The original version of this game was published long before the first season of the TV show). (And watch the show - you won't be disappointed - just as a side comment)!

3. Well, I do! I guess if you've never played any LCG before and are willing to give one a try, this is just a good choice as any. I never played a LCG before I delved into the first edition of this game. And now we're talking about the 2nd edition, which was designed to clean-up not only the look, but also a lot of the fiddlyness that crept into the first edition, and I think has succeeded at that.

One more thing... if you are going to jump into it, now's the time while the card pool is relatively small. I get what you're saying about not being able to afford anything beyond the core game... but if you really catch the bug and are able to swing the price for a chapter pack or two, jumping in now will make your selection easier, is all.

Edit: One more thing... Matthew mentions deck building, above. If you're really in the game only for the theme and the experience of watching the books come alive in front of you, you can still enjoy the game without having to worry about any deck building!

I actually fall into this category... While I enjoy the game immensely, I'm simply not that much into deck building. The avid players will tell you that either deck building is the only reason to play, or that deck building is at least 50% of the game for them. I can certainly appreciate that.

Though I do enjoy the occasional deck building, my lifestyle isn't very conducive to spending time pouring over the card pool and trying to put together the best combos. Too much time for what I want out of the game. I simply want to play!

So there are some online deck building sites to the rescue! Two favorites are Cardgame Deck Builder (http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTDeckbuilder.html), and, Thrones Deck Builder (https://thronesdb.com/). Both sites offer a plethora of pre-built decks! And there are several good decks that you can get from those sites that use only the cards from the core set. (You can even find some good core-only decks by searching the forums here on BGG).

Personally, I filter the deck search to look for decks using only the cards from the core and five expansions that I currently own. Then I peruse those till I find one that "suits my fancy" (obviously I'm not a tournament player)! And you can even tweak it to further your own liking, if you wish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
1.This may be the wrong game to get into if you're on a budget. It's still in its first year, so catching up is possible, but FFG are planning to keep expanding this game for quite some time.

If you plan to have it on your shelf and take it out to play with friends, at least one more core is the best and cheapest expansion you can get, and improves quality of life while playing more than 100% (twice as many copies, much more than twice as fun).

The cores for the latest LCGs are a bit like getting a deck of poker cards and only finding cards of one colour in the pack.

2.It's more based on the books than the show (HBO-designed logos and occasional artist liberties excepted). The small expansions are called chapter packs

3.I can't really recommend any LCGs for people who aren't prepared to get expansions or another core (another two being ideal for AGoT 2e). It's rumoured to be possible to have fun with just a core, but it's one of the LCGs I feel it applies the least to.

Still cheaper than a booster-based card game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. To keep costs to a minimum you want to set yourself up with 2 Core Sets. That is enough to provide plenty of variety and colour for a small group of players to play Joust or Melee games. That will allow you to construct 45 card decks (maximum of 2 of any card instead of 3) for each House, with a fair bit of variability in choice of cards, especially if you have non-Loyal cards of a 2nd House as Bannermen. Such decks are not "legal" in the sense of tournaments, but you won't be playing in those, only with your friends, so it does not matter. A 45 card deck plays just fine, and it makes winning by the opponent running out of cards a bit more possible (its extremely unlikely with a 60 card deck).
However, the addiction factor is strong. I dare you to resist buying some chapter packs.
2. The flavour of the books present in the game is rich and deep.
3. The game play is intricate and involving. It works well with 2 (Joust) or 3 or 4 (Melee).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija
Croatia
flag msg tools
mb
1. It's not necessary, and if you want to read more about the game from this perspective, check out my review:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1505061/i-love-game-review-...

2. No, I'd say it might be even better because the game is based on the books so some characters / storylines etc don't match completely with the show.

3. Absolutely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B
United Kingdom
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Wow, thanks for all of this advice, it was quite shocking waking up to find so many people wanted to help x)

Having read through all of them, I think I might consider getting it, but here's my last question, I promise, if I were to buy the game and wanted to get an expansion, is it best to just buy them in the order in which they were released, or are there specifically good ones to buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija
Croatia
flag msg tools
mb
While the chapter packs kind of thematically follow the books (each cycle of 6 chapter packs follows one book, but only kind of) it is not really necessary to buy them in order.

Each chapter pack (they are released approx. monthly) has 2 cards for each faction + 4 neutral cards, so you get a little something for every house in each chapter pack. When deciding which one to buy, perhaps you can just see which cards or powerful characters look fun to you, and buy those (for example, if you'll like playing Lannister, you might get the packs where The Mountain or The Hound are in, etc). But in any case you'll get 20 different cards, with 3 copies of each (that's the maximum number of copies you're allowed to have in a deck, and for great cards you'll definitely want to have 3x of each).

Aside from the smaller chapter packs, there are the deluxe boxes which focus on one house which gets 25 new cards, each other house gets 2 new cards, and you also get plenty of neutrals. So far the only deluxe box released is the Stark box, and the Lannister box is coming in a couple of weeks (they are released approx. every 6 months). Buying one of these boxes will allow you to build much better decks for these houses (because you also get 3x of each card), but then the game will be imbalanced against other houses (if you have just 1 core set and the deluxe box).

If you have other questions, feel free to ask
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija
Croatia
flag msg tools
mb
For more info you can have a look at the great community FAQ on cardgamedb:
http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10210-comm...

And you can also check out and join the facebook group for the game: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1054411517905019/

Occasionally there are people selling their collections so you can get some cards or boxes for cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

dukman wrote:
Occasionally there are people selling their collections so you can get some cards or boxes for cheaper.

Yeah, I'm looking to sell my first edition collection (partial)! Interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Sauter
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
1. No it is not necessary, but I also don't think it will be just as fun and playable with the core set. With that said, with just the core set it's still a ton o' fun!

2. Definitely not! In fact, having read the books and watched the show, I find having read the books makes this game more enjoyable than having watched the show. Theme is important to me in a game, and I think your having read the books will enhance your immersion infinitely more than not having seen the show might diminish your immersion.

3. Hmmmm, good question. This is not my first LCG, but it's the one I've played the most and devoted the most time and money too. Like has been said, and I think is true with most LCGs, gameplay is easy, but the variety of cards gives the game a complex subtlety that is not for everyone. My biggest struggle is finding someone to play with, especially if you're going to be a casual gamer, which in general may leave you unable to play with those in your local game store who may be more heavily invested in the game and those who may not appreciate or understand those complex subtleties. Even being a poor college student, I think investing in a single core set is worth it and I would recommend it. If you have someone who you think would be interested, then definitely! Maybe find a fellow Westerosi who appreciates the theme; that can sometimes go a long way in making up for gameplay they may not be used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.