Popular Tags: [View All]
Cristian Leal
Spain
CORNELLÀ DE LLOBREGAT
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I'm thinking to buy this game, but for me, time is something important.

I know that for playing the full campaing you will need a whole weekend(12h?).

But does anybody know the length of the other two scenarios?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Ollikainen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I just played my first game during the weekend. We played the full campaing game with three experienced wargamers and it took round 12 hours to get on turn 28 (of 52) when we decided to stop playing.

At this point most of the europe was concuered by germans, Italy ruled in North Africa and Balkans and UK was isolated to it's own because of the german submarines. Anyway the Soviet player got his red steamroller running after stopping the german Barbarossa and it seemed obvious that we would just watch soviet player beating nazis (easily) with the aid (strategic bombings) of USA.

Some notes:
- This is a two player game!
- The game is quite scripted. You are going to get WW2 just with minor variations. There is no political or grand strategy sandbox there.
- The game plays guite fast if you compare to some other games in this scale, AFTER you have checked all the small rules for minor nations etc.
- The rulebook could be a bit more simplified ("too much talking while explaining simple rules") to ease up rules cheking while playing.

I enjoyed playing, but I didn't get that "It was worth it" feeling like with some other marathon games that i have played. Anyway, I think I'll give this a second try (with Vassal) before I'll sell my copy.

Timo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The game is quite scripted. You are going to get WW2 just with minor variations. There is no political or grand strategy sandbox there.

I'm curious; in what way do you believe it is scripted?

Other than that the UK, France, US and SU are up against Germany no alliance is scheduled, set or guaranteed. In fact, there is no set entry date for the Soviet Union..

Italy, through diplomacy could end up coming in for the Allies, or early for the Axis.. ..or late. Germany can go East first before entering France. The Soviets can attack the Germans while they are wrapped up in France. Either side can court Spain, or the Turks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Ollikainen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's the initial setup that drives players to make decisions that match the historical events. Normally I'm curious to explore alternative ways to solve the historical problem rather than repeating what has been documented. In this case I found that there are alternatives available, but they are too difficult to reach. So the players are forced to make decisions like: is a "push your luck" type of action worth of spending lots of MSPs if you just happen to roll badly (that's life i know) when there is some "historical easy pray" just next to you.

Germany can go east before taking France, but while doing so it is obvious that the France is going to build some military power and backstab Germany -> "I'm not going to make a bad move" -effect. I would like to see that there are options to prevent this to happen through politics or by some other means than invading France before Barbarossa.

Italy can turn to allies side, but while being pro german this need a lots of work from allies and there is a storm coming, so players are going to spend their MSPs to build troops (I know, this is a wargame).

But like i said, I need to give this one a second try.

I case there is an expansion under construction: How about improving early war politics -> Convert your MSPs to political capital (points?, an extra tech track or factions own political sheet?) and use it to gain faction based influense to different countries.

Timo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.