Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this a game of painful decisions?

I ask because some of my gamers found Knizia's High Society so painful on their first play that they refuse to play it. As for me, I've also realised that I don't get anything but pain out of painful decisions; there's no enjoyment.

Meanwhile I am looking for social games, and maybe this is one that would do a better job than High Society.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:

Is this a game of painful decisions?

I ask because some of my gamers found Knizia's High Society so painful on their first play that they refuse to play it. As for me, I've also realised that I don't get anything but pain out of painful decisions; there's no enjoyment.

Meanwhile I am looking for social games, and maybe this is one that would do a better job than High Society.

What do you mean by painful? I haven't found any of the decisions in this game painful. While meaningful, they're pretty quick and light, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale can go disasterously wrong, but if you're out of cash early, you just suck up low houses, and in the second half you can play randomly if you like.

Of course, in a three player game, I saw the 27 house sell for $0. That could be painful. But the game is soon over. You should not be so emotionally invested in this game that you have painful memories. They should end up being silly memories. Only a longer games should cause painful memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Uh, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ayejae wrote:

What do you mean by painful? I haven't found any of the decisions in this game painful. While meaningful, they're pretty quick and light, imo.

Call it 'turn angst'. I often see gamers refer to painful decisions, and I've come to recognise that myself. High Society is one such game. It's not long but each turn of the bidding is high on the angst. And it's got nothing to do with its lightness, as someone mentioned, rather the nature of the decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:
ayejae wrote:

Call it 'turn angst'. I often see gamers refer to painful decisions, and I've come to recognise that myself. High Society is one such game. It's not long but each turn of the bidding is high on the angst. And it's got nothing to do with its lightness, as someone mentioned, rather the nature of the decision.

I've never played High Society, so I just watched a video on it. I can see how decisions can be full of angst. You don't know what cards will come out, and you're only bidding on one card each turn.

For Sale has more information. First of all, you know that all cards will eventually come out. Secondly, you're bidding on multiple cards each turn, and you have a vague idea of what everyone else won in the first round before going on to the second.

I don't think it's as painful as High Society, but it might still be a bit, so I recommend you just watch a video on it and see what you think. Maybe your group just doesn't like auction games?

What do you mean by a "social" game? Like, a filler?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:

I don't think it's as painful as High Society, but it might still be a bit, so I recommend you just watch a video on it and see what you think. Maybe your group just doesn't like auction games?

I agree (all auction games are somewhat "painful" - that's why I love them, BTW)!

Anyway, I don't consider For Sale as a true "painful decisions" game. At least, not with the standard rules, that guarantee a property to every player each turn. If you play with the 2016 variant, it's MUCH different, since you risk to get no property at all (something I find very exciting, btw). Anyway, it's an incredibly quick game, so you always have another chance if you get screwed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:

My experience is that this game creates a social interaction in the same manner as "party games" are intended to do. But here it is the byproduct rather than the focus while this game outpaces party games in the category of allowing strategic choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.