Subject: Getting games you don't like as gifts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends got me a game for a gift that I don't particularly like too much. I am thinking of getting rid of it, either selling or trading, but am thinking it might be weird since he might ask to play it and I won't have it.

I have other instances I got gifts as games that I'm not too fond of. Has this happened to anyone else? There are just some games I got that I don't really want to take up space and would rather fill that space in with a game I'd actually enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Happened to me with Boss Monster most recently. Any time this happens I usually sell the game or put it somewhere in an attic/storage box/etc. If anyone asks to play I just say I cant find it, which for the most part is true. I'll probably round them up and donate them at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends.

well duh...

I know we once gave a gift of a quite expensive (60€) game and it completely fell flat playing it so he didn't feel like it was a game that he (and we) were going to play so the fact that he sold it on was no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with "hey, I got a chance to play that game you got for me and unfortunately I didn't like it. I went ahead and sold it and got *insert game here instead* which is great! so, thank you " No one should be too offended over that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family and my closest ones are practical and not very formal about gifts so they ask me what I wan and I can give them the spreadsheet with the games I would like to buy or I can extract a short list of games with different tag prices so I don't have the feeling I force them to spend a given amount of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank honesty is usually best. Nothing wrong with, "Thanks for the gift, but wasn't my kind of game, so it passed on to someone who would appreciate it more."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I agree with Scottgun. I would then compromise for another gift that I want for near the same price range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
If possible, be honest. Something like "I really love games and it's great you got me one, though I rather play these other kind of games, besides there's this wishlist I have on BGG laugh"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrFettuccine wrote:
One of my friends got me a game for a gift that I don't particularly like too much.

This isn't really a question that is game specific. It can be generalized for any gift, and the etiquette of the issue is likely discussed in multiple corners of the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrFettuccine wrote:
One of my friends got me a game for a gift that I don't particularly like too much. I am thinking of getting rid of it, either selling or trading, but am thinking it might be weird since he might ask to play it and I won't have it.

I have other instances I got gifts as games that I'm not too fond of. Has this happened to anyone else? There are just some games I got that I don't really want to take up space and would rather fill that space in with a game I'd actually enjoy.

Hang onto the game for 2 or 3 years. If he never asks to play it in that time period, you are probably safe to get rid of it. I don't know too many people that can remember what gift they gave someone 3 years ago.

If he asks what you did with his game, I echo the sentiments of the other posters. Just tell him you played it and the game wasn't really for you, so you traded it/sold it and got "X" which is more enjoyable for you. I think he will be happy that you have a game you like, regardless if it was the one he bought for you.

It also depends on the level of your friendship. The closer you are, the easier it should be to talk frankly and honestly. Also, was it an "out of the blue" gift, or was it Christmas/Birthday. If it was out of the blue, and the person is not in the habit of giving you gifts, he may remember it more than if he just gave it to you as an annual present.

(Yes, I have a few games in my cupboard which were gifts and I haven't gotten rid of them yet. I have also traded away gift games, maybe 4 or 5 years later).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Send them a store bought fruitcake and see how they react. Then you know the proper reaction for the person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never met a game I didn't like.

Some I like to play, some I like to sell....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you got a board game... I once got a baby sister and was none too pleased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coldkorn wrote:
Go with "hey, I got a chance to play that game you got for me and unfortunately I didn't like it. I went ahead and sold it and got *insert game here instead* which is great! so, thank you " No one should be too offended over that
If the gift was about you, he'll be happy that you ended up with a game you like and are happy. If he's upset that you got rid of it then he's more concerned about himself than about you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.