Hide
5 Posts

Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gravwell Equal distance rule? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Tibbits
msg tools
Hello, I have was curious about a rule that exists. It states that if you are equal distance from two ships with equal number of ships on both sides then you are stuck and do not move. My question is wouldnt it make more sense for you to still move but go in the direction of whatever the closest ships are? For example in Here https://youtu.be/hHLb7E-e8JA?t=8m10s wouldnt it make more sense for him to move backwards since the two ships on that side are closer?

Edit - In this example the player is the blue ship and it is his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lamkin
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would in terms of true physics maybe, but that is not how the game rules are written.

If you are equal distant to your nearest ship in front and behind with equal ships on both sides you are at equilibrium regardless of where the other ships are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
msg tools
mbmbmb
Joshua is correct, and for good reason. I think a game like this favors quick gameplay, and the tie-breaking for "closest ship" is already getting a little too complex as is. Adding in trying to calculate the relative distances of ships even further away from the player's ship is just going to bog down gameplay, and the benefit of a more "thematic" rule just doesn't justify that in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Young
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. That's why we did it that way. It got too fiddly, in our opinion. If you prefer, you can always house rule it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Tibbits
msg tools
Ahh....Well that makes sense. Thanks for the reply guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.