Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sealing the Old Ones: When you pass a lore test while resolving a Spell effect, you may discard that Spell after resolving its effect to place 1 Eldritch token on this card. Then you may flip this card.

I pass the test. However, the backside effect for my number of successes makes me discard this spell.

Can I place a token on sealing the old ones?

I vaguely remember some threads saying you can (mostly about unique assets that let you "discard this card" as an effect and got you two benefits. A thing about paying for effects. It was quite convoluted). But if I may only discard the spell to sealing "after resolving its effect", well, the spell is gone by then.

There's that clarification from N. valens that you choose the order when resolving multiple effects. But if that's the case... Could I discard a spell to sealing before applying a backside effect of "lose x health/sanity"? I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think so either.

Seems like you would fully complete/resolve an effect for resolving another. If it say's after resolving, then I would play it so that you have to complete the spell...if it's gone by the time you're done, its not around to fulfill the conditions of "Sealing the old ones".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
I pass the test. However, the backside effect for my number of successes makes me discard this spell.

Can I place a token on sealing the old ones?

Yes. There are two effects resolving simultaneously (discard the spell for the mystery and discard the spell because of spell effects), so you get to choose the order that they happen in.

Quote:
There's that clarification from N. valens that you choose the order when resolving multiple effects. But if that's the case... Could I discard a spell to sealing before applying a backside effect of "lose x health/sanity"? I don't think so.

No. Once again, both effects resolve simultaneously, so officially you can choose the order they will resolve in, but it doesn't make any difference as both will still happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the spell tells you to discard it because you have rolled poorly, it's still a part of that spell's effect.
Then, when you would like to discard the spell "after resolving its effect" for Sealing the Old Ones you the spell's already discarded and you can't discard it for a second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
since the card explicitly says "after resolving it's effect", I would argue that they are not simultaneous. And discarding a card twice is not possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, how do i interprete this ruling in a similar case?

I'll sum it up: I'm poisoned. I perform a rest action. I've got unique assets that let me pass tests "when you perform a rest action".

Can I pass the tests before I resolve the "then flip this card" in poisoned front side and its subsequent back side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
I'll sum it up: I'm poisoned. I perform a rest action. I've got unique assets that let me pass tests "when you perform a rest action".

Can I pass the tests before I resolve the "then flip this card" in poisoned front side and its subsequent back side?
Yes, you can.
I'm not sure what your doubt is in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
zosete wrote:

Yes, you can.
I'm not sure what your doubt is in this case.

Most spells work with the "then flip this card" mechanic. Why do you consider that a spell must be fully resolved with both sides before any other effect but with the poisoned Condition you can wedge another effect between fronts idea and backside?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case closed. It seems Haroth was spot on: I'll update the official clarifications thread:

As I understand this, you can pass a test before flipping poisoned, but spells' backside are part of a whole spell effect.

Quote:
Multiple effects with the same triggering event can be resolved in any order. Note that if an effect allows you to discard the Poisoned Condition, you still do not recover Health nor Sanity from that Rest action.

Flipping a Ritual or Incantation Spell and resolving the effects on its back is part of that Spell's effect. The entire Spell effect, including the back of the card, must be resolved before the effect of the Sealing the Old Ones Unique Asset is resolved. If the Spell effect causes you to discard the Spell, you will not be able to place an Eldritch token on the task.

Thanks for playing!
~ Nikki Valens
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense to me, thematically. You are voluntarily giving up the knowledge of how to cast a spell in order to seal the Old Ones. If you cast the spell and then it fizzles so hard that it leaves your mind, you can no longer voluntarily give it up for the seal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.