$20.00
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

just to go for sure:
Performance cards remain on the board although a magician might have performed that card already. So they stay on the board till they are removed as a result of the "Move Performance cards"-step and not because they were previously performed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You got it correct! (Ref pages 17 and 18 of the Rulebook).

Think of it this way: A "Performance" is a series of tricks performed in a certain theater, by different (or the same) magician, for only one night of the week. As the game turns (weeks) progress, the same "Performance" may be on the same stage week after week, but performed by different magicians. This is true for each performance until the public tires of it (symbolized by it dropping off the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!
Again: Many thanks!

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

You got it correct! (Ref pages 17 and 18 of the Rulebook).

Think of it this way: A "Performance" is a series of tricks performed in a certain theater, by different (or the same) magician, for only one night of the week. As the game turns (weeks) progress, the same "Performance" may be on the same stage week after week, but performed by different magicians. This is true for each performance until the public tires of it (symbolized by it dropping off the board).

From that description, it sounds to me like you leave the trick markers on the performance card after the performance? Perhaps not, but I just wanted to point out that that's not according to the rules.

But yes, the performance card stays until it is removed by the "Move Performance cards" step. But all the trick markers on the performed card are removed and returned to their owners after each performance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:

But yes, the performance card stays until it is removed by the "Move Performance cards" step. But all the trick markers on the performed card are removed and returned to their owners after each performance.

ah...very ghood point: You`re right: All the trick markers -according to the rules (p.17)- are beeing removed after a show and are given back to the general supply of each magician. I missed that point in the rules. Thanks for the clarrification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

SpecularRain wrote:
From that description, it sounds to me like you leave the trick markers on the performance card after the performance?

I apologize if that's the way it came across, but of course as you pointed out, that's not the case. I struggled to come up with some thematic explanation for the Performance Cards, which is why I was careful to add, "but performed by different magicians [each week]".

Yes again, the trick markers come off the Performance Card after being performed. What I was trying to capture with my failed attempt above, is that each Performance Card is a combination of a specific theater (there are three theaters in the game with the Dark Alley variant), and a unique "routine". And perhaps routine is what I should've used before.

So as each card advances one space at the end of each week, in effect, that unique routine advances with it. And for each week, that routine is performed by perhaps different magicians with perhaps different tricks than the week before. And eventually, the public tires of that routine which is depicted when the Performance Card drops off the end.

I'm still not sure if I've captured the thematic concept even now... would love to see what someone else comes up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
I struggled to come up with some thematic explanation for the Performance Cards

Performance cards are venues. As the game progresses, more venues appear, many with increasing value. Think of each performance card as the Playbill for one evening at that venue. Magicians schedule tricks for the performance and, eventually, one will perform it with non-performer tricks being guest spots on the performance. The performance card remains because the owner of the venue would love to continue raking in major cash as people see shows.

As any performer, however, you grow in fame. You want to perform at more prestigious venues netting you more profits. Eventually, those lesser venues fall off because you are no longer interested in their meager payouts. They must resort to finding lesser magicians to fill their stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Donny, That's a great take on a thematic concept. I sort of thought along the same lines at first. And perhaps where I'm stuck is it sounds like you and I might be thinking of "venue" differently. To me, "venue" would be the theater itself.

Where I was having trouble is that for each theater (venue), there are different cards. The difference between the cards is in how the trick "path" appears. The path is a different length and it twists and turns differently for each card. Above, I gave up and simply called this path a, "routine".

And you're absolutely correct that as the game progresses, the Performance Cards get more complex (i.e., the "routines" performed in the beginning of the game at the Riverside Theater are much less thrilling and less complex as the "routines" performed at The Magnus Pantheon theater)!

Still, I like where you were going ... you got farther than I!

Ah... first world problems to discuss, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.