13 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confused if clue tokens stop effects or not rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mr mr
msg tools
Hello,
Reading the manual for horror check it said (due to negative check example) the investigator automatically loses sanity.

Does this mean you cannot use clue tokens to avoid this penalty? E.g you may go insane without being able to counter the check by using clue tokens

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clue tokens allow you to re-roll any dice rolled for a skill check. So if you don't get to roll any dice (as in the first example under "Horror Check" in the rulebook), then no, clue tokens can't prevent the loss of sanity.

EDIT: Don't listen to me as I got my rules mixed up blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
Clue tokens allow you to re-roll any dice rolled for a skill check. So if you don't get to roll any dice (as in the first example under "Horror Check" in the rulebook), then no, clue tokens can't prevent the loss of sanity.

Sorry but this is not true.

Clues don't let you re-roll, they add a die. This is important for actual re-rolls, and effects that look at the amount of successes.

Also, clues always add a die, even if the normal 'skill+modifiers' calculation results in a negative number. So spending a clue would mean you still have a chance at passing the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, but there's more to the tale...

Once you have added any modifiers to your skill level, if the number of dice for your roll is zero or less, you don't get a roll.

However, a clue token can always give you a roll on a skill check.

So what's that mean? Let's say you have a Will of 1, and the monster has a Horror Check modifier of -3. You are at -2, so no roll...

Except, you can always spend clues to take a roll. Even if your check is against -2 dice, you can spend one clue token, and roll one die. And if that fails, you can spend another, and another, until you pass or are out of clues.

You can think of it as rolling clues after a failed check, although in this case, there was no initial roll.

Clue tokens can be used on any failed skill check (or one where you want more successes than you have); they cannot be used for other rolls, such as keeping a Bless or Retainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Except, you can always spend clues to take a roll. Even if your check is against -2 dice, you can spend one clue token, and roll one die.
Yeah that's what I meant to say with the last part of my response... thanks for writing it down more clearly than I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for catching my rules mistake - now I realise I was thinking of the use of tokens to re-roll dice in Shadows of Brimstone...should've checked the RB before posting as it's awhile since I've played AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
Thanks for catching my rules mistake - now I realise I was thinking of the use of tokens to re-roll dice in Shadows of Brimstone...should've checked the RB before posting as it's awhile since I've played AH.

Everyone makes mistakes... not everyone edits their post and stikethroughs the mistake.

Class act
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr mr
msg tools
Thanks. This isn't a clearly defined area in the manual and quite complicated

So, from reading your comments in the case of the Horror check with a -2, what this means is you can ignore the initial skill failure and start from scratch as long as you can use clue tokens for new rolls and keep going until you pass or run out of clue tokens, as if the dice count was zero at the start?

It's just in the manual the example simply says 'Her Will is 2, but looking at the Elder Thing’s horror rating (A), she sees that its modifier is –3, bringing her total down to –1, which automatically fails. As a result, she loses 2 Sanity'

I guess if they repeated every rule for every example the manual would be quite large.

btw, I've had this game 3 years and still haven't played it yet. But I will today

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but under the SPENDING CLUE TOKENS ON SKILL CHECKS section in Other Rules, it says:

Quote:
Important: Spending a Clue token always gives you the
bonus dice that you are entitled to, even if the modifier
has dropped the number of dice you can roll below 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:

btw, I've had this game 3 years and still haven't played it yet. But I will today

Well, welcome to the Madness!googoogoo

Expect to make mistakes. If you find a mistake, just continue playing and do things right the next time. I think my group got things mostly right after a half dozen plays... but Arkham is about the experience, not the mechanics, so don't stress.

This is a useful document before jumping in...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/605472/newbie-faq-21-th...

And if you have any questions, there's a very supportive fan base here for you... and we're global, so help is available at most any time.

See you by the banks of the lazy Miskatonic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Early days we thought you had to make up the negative value with clue tokens, so if you were at -1, you had to spend 2 clue tokens to get a roll.

It's actually much simpler than that. You always get an additional die for a clue, no matter what your actual skill+modifier says, and you can either spend one clue at a time and continue rolling as long as you have a clue supply, or spend multiple clues for multiple dice (some of our group hate rolling just one die on anything!).

Here's another tip: if you have something that allows you to re-roll a full check, you can spend up to your supply of clues, and then (if you don't succeed) re-roll all the dice, including the additional dice from your spent clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfpack48 wrote:
Early days we thought you had to make up the negative value with clue tokens, so if you were at -1, you had to spend 2 clue tokens to get a roll.

I hear ye... it took me about a year and some 30 plays until I realized this thanks to some forum entry here. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:

As another "had it on the shelf for a year before trying" gamer...

My personal opinions as to what to watch out for:

1. Download one of the flow chart aids in the file section. There's quite a few; pick one.

2. It took about three solo games for it to "click" for me. Literally halfway through one game I thought "Oh! I got it!" and no longer needed the aid. I don't know what happened or why, but it worked. So don't sweat it if it doesn't click right away.

3. For your first few games, don't stress about backtracking. There's enough moving parts that it's hard to know what is a good choice until you walk through it. More than once, you'll move, flip a monster, start to roll the dice, and suddenly realize there's a penalty that basically makes it impossible to not die. Reverse it all and start from the beginning of that turn. It's coop. And yeah it feels cheap, but it was by far the best way for me to learn the game--trying to think of all the factors at once just frustrated me, but acting them out one by one made it so much easier.

4. Pay attention to the icons telling you what the most frequent things at the location are. For the first few games I needed money and didn't know how to go about it, When I remembered those icons it made it easier to get stuff.

5. If you're going solo, don't try it with one investigator. It's not very fun and not worth it. I would go at least three.

There's more, but you get the idea. Your first few tries are going to stall out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.