Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

Steve Gibson here, designer/artist for Grimslingers.

While working on a sequel to Grimslingers, I couldn't help but be inspired by what Mint Works did and so I decided to put Grimslingers 2 on the back burner for a bit and work on a different game.

A Tin-y Adventure! A solo/coop adventure game that fits in a mint tin (hence the name), set in a weird west (that's kinda my thing). Honestly, I'm not sure if something like that exists out there already but I'm sure what I'm cooking is different enough and it'll have my arts.

I'm posting this on BGG because I just wanted to get it out there and keep a dev journal. Maybe get some input from people, play testers.

So what's the game like?

Players pick from 4 characters, a mariachi frog, a witch cat, a warrior mouse and an outlaw raccoon.

Players will start the game by rolling a dice and getting a random quest. Quests are simple and should only take 15-30 minutes to complete. Stuff like "find an artifact" which requires you to travel to different dungeons in search of one.

Players will collect loot, items that can be traded at towns or used in combat.

Players will encounter monsters in and outside of dungeons. Stuff like a Rat Bandit, Skeletal Snake, Black Widow Witch and a Vampire Skeeter.

So far I'm 90% done the design. I'm just putting the finishing touches on combat and items. Then I'll start playtesting the heck out of it

I'm going to try and post a weekly update in this thread to share how the game is progressing and art as I finish it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big fan of your artwork. Also, a fan of the big games in small tins!

Looking forward to seeing more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
Big fan of your artwork. Also, a fan of the big games in small tins!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, just so you know - you can't post links to Kickstarters in the threads outside of the Crowdfunding/Kickstarter forums (or if the game is in the BGG database - the game threads)... You can mention the Kickstarter by name, but without the link.

If you don't want to be contacted by the admins, you should remove the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that would be interesting would be a way for characters to progress in levels across many games. Sort of like a mini RPG. I'm not sure if it would work with a design like this but it would be nice.

One Deck Dungeon is another game that came to mind when thinking about small designs like this. I'm sure there are a few others out there but I like the direction this is headed! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
One thing that would be interesting would be a way for characters to progress in levels across many games. Sort of like a mini RPG. I'm not sure if it would work with a design like this but it would be nice.

One Deck Dungeon is another game that came to mind when thinking about small designs like this. I'm sure there are a few others out there but I like the direction this is headed! thumbsup

I've thought a lot on meaningful character progression for Grimslingers 2. I think in a physical game, you pretty much have to do an RPG type game. Character sheets and records and a plethora of meaningful ways to advance so it's worthwhile to invest the time.

For Tin-y Adventures, there's just no way to fit leveling into the tin and rulebook.

However, I do have some ideas for DLC. A fan kit for people to make their own campaigns and stories. And I wonder if a downloadable character progression sheet could work as DLC as well.

I bet it's doable! But the real question is...would anyone want that? Hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimslingers looks great. Right down my alley. I look forward to hearing about your progress on this Tin-y Adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Did my first play of the game:

I pretty much only use tabletop simulator for my playtests. Though I did just join a local testing group, so we'll see how that goes!

Combat was great. Easy, strategic, varied. Though it was the part of the game that took the longest. I'm not sure if that's good or bad...but it was fun!

Dungeons (I call them Grotto's in this game) were cool. You encounter traps, treasure and monsters, or nothing. Basically everyone takes a turn to flip over any tile and they get whatever it is. Though if it's a monster, everyone fights it.

The map worked well, but I think I need to remove rest nodes and make more event nodes.

Events themselves were meh. I think they'd get really boring after 1 or 2 play throughs. Right now I'm thinking of what I might change events to so they are more fun.

In the current version every player has an energy tracker, but not enough stuff relied on energy, so I need to change that.

Anywho, things are moving in the right direction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.