Hide
7 Posts

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » General

Subject: How many rounds are games (usually)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Hall
msg tools
The play-through video from Munchkinland went for (I think) 5 or 6 rounds. Is that typical from your experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 6 rounds is most common. Slightly longer than Cthulhu Wars which is most often 5 rounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Yes, 6 rounds is most common. Slightly longer than Cthulhu Wars which is most often 5 rounds

Hmmm, that's pretty short for these kinds of games.
Is there enough time to explore deep + varied strategies?

Having said that, how many actions does each player do every round, or in an overall game (since the power will go up as time goes by)? There may be enough actions to allow the strategies to emerge.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalman wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

One of the strengths of Cthulhu Wars is that there's enough time for strategies to come to the fore, but the game ends before eveyone is just doing the same thing over and over. My limited experience of Gods War says this is the same here.

Number of actions varies from about 4 per turn in the first turn, to 10+ from turn three onwards. So maybe 50 over a game.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
Zalman wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

One of the strengths of Cthulhu Wars is that there's enough time for strategies to come to the fore, but the game ends before eveyone is just doing the same thing over and over. My limited experience of Gods War says this is the same here.

Number of actions varies from about 4 per turn in the first turn, to 10+ from turn three onwards. So maybe 50 over a game.

Cheers,
Graham

That's great! 50 actions is plenty to try different plans + ways :-)
Cheers, Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Zalman wrote:

There's very little downtime in these games (both taking actions and combat are quick), so at bare minimum, you get to do as much as you do in these games as you do in games of similar length/weight. I think Kemet is a good comparison. (Thinking about it, Kemet was one of my favourites prior to Cthulhu Wars, and now it never gets played...)

Actions are tricky. In Cthulhu Wars at least, you can be doing as little as 3 actions per round early game, due to summoning your Great Old One, but as much as 20 actions late game. It scales - the later in the game you get, the more you get to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, not all decisions are actions, but they're still critical to your strategy. For instance, when to use Unholy Trio (a one-time Gift that turns all Routs for both sides in a Battle into Kills), or when/where to use Murder (Pay 1 less than a Unit's Cost to Eliminate it), or who to target with Black Market (a Council Phase ability that lets you give a faction a Rune, with side effects).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.