Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I use Flare (from the variant cards), it reveals tiles. PPresumably, you immediately place dark cave tiles on each open edge. If the roll from the dragon die would have effected tthose new tiles had they been there when you said you would take the flare action, do they now also get revealed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
NO just the tiles in play at the moment the die is rolled are flipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing when the (non-variant) Dragon uses Flare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any rules regarding orientation of tiles surrounded by dark tiles? I assumed not, but then ended up with a ccrystal bblocked of by walls when it was revealed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
NO just the tiles in play at the moment the die is rolled are flipped.

I like to think of it as flip over ALL tiles revealed in the same action, THEN fill in open edges (as opposed to flipping tile 1 and filling in edges, then flipping tile 2, ...)

jayelbird wrote:
Are there any rules regarding orientation of tiles surrounded by dark tiles? I assumed not, but then ended up with a ccrystal bblocked of by walls when it was revealed?

I think the same rules apply as usual: If there's a tile it can connect to to make a path to the entrance), it should connect. So if you started revealing tiles starting at the Lit cave, many tiles would have to connect. If you start with the furthest tile, then maybe not.

Since the Knight, Thief and Dragon have abilities (Ancient Map, Climb, and Wing) that let them get through walls, it's probably not a big deal. I could see how a Goblin vs Cave game could be interesting if the Cave kept blocking off Crystals (though since the Goblin is the one doing the uncovering and initially orienting the tiles, they should be able to prevent it at first and collapse problematic tiles later).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
jayelbird wrote:

I think the same rules apply as usual: If there's a tile it can connect to to make a path to the entrance), it should connect. So if you started revealing tiles starting at the Lit cave, many tiles would have to connect. If you start with the furthest tile, then maybe not.

Since the Knight, Thief and Dragon have abilities (Ancient Map, Climb, and Wing) that let them get through walls, it's probably not a big deal. I could see how a Goblin vs Cave game could be interesting if the Cave kept blocking off Crystals (though since the Goblin is the one doing the uncovering and initially orienting the tiles, they should be able to prevent it at first and collapse problematic tiles later).

It was actually in the Goblin solo game. I'd used Flare to reveal tiles, and revealed a crystal tile, by random luck, without revealing either of its two adjacent tiles. Next turn, I triggered flare again, revealed those two adjacent tiles, and found I could not connect the crystal to the cave any longer (without rotating the crystal). At that point, it was already in the collapse, so there wasn't much opportunity to build a new path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that would be my one concern with a Goblin/Cave game, since the Goblin is the only player that doesn't always have a way to through walls (without the right card/monster), and the Cave can rotate tiles pretty easily to block one off.

I guess the key would be to get your goblins (with unlimited move through Dark ability) to the Crystal ASAP before it can be closed off, though that could be missed for a first time player. (Hopefully an experienced Cave player wouldn't be quick to do such things to a newbie, especially if he wants another game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
since the Goblin is the only player that doesn't always have a way to through walls

If the open edge of the tile is not connecting to lit tiles, then it gets a dark tile. a] Goblins can move through dark tiles and b] goblins can reveal on dark tiles. So it seems to me the tile wouldn't be that hard to get to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
So it seems to me the tile wouldn't be that hard to get to.

The issue might be if a tile is revealed at the end of a Goblin's turn (or after 2 Tribes have already acted, since you must have 2 Tribes to smash a Crystal). If it's at the middle of a flare, there's the possibility that all adjacent sides are now Lit. The Cave might then be able to rotate 2 tiles on its turn and completely wall off a Crystal (or at least rotate open edges away from Dark tiles). If the Tribe hasn't Revealed yet, there's 1 turn to Reveal, then the next turn to move and attack, giving the Cave 2 turns to block off the route (or make it long enough that a Tribe would lose too many population to smash it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SuperBrian
United States
Ringwood
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to pile on here but it's somewhat related. If I'm on a dark tile and use Scorch (reveal surrounding tiles) it doesn't reveal the tile I'm on, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
briandickens wrote:
Sorry to pile on here but it's somewhat related. If I'm on a dark tile and use Scorch (reveal surrounding tiles) it doesn't reveal the tile I'm on, right?

No, it doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.