Popular Tags: [View All]
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get an apex card from the elimination pile, it goes to your hatchery unless it's a a hatchling. They go to your hand. What about the juvenile? Like the hatchlings, it doesn't have a cost. I decided that it must also go to your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that when you gain any apex card,it goes in your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, so you think the correct steps are:

1. Select Juvenile with Convergent Evolution
2. Place Juvenile in my hatchery
3. Since Juvenile is free (no Evolve cost printed on it), immediately gain it from my hatchery and put in my discard pile

That seems logical too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aras Chi
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Max means whatever Apex cards (no matter the cost is) you gain from elimination pile, they go to your discard pile directly unless the card specify the destination. "Gain" is the keyword.

And this is how I play too (any gained cards go to discard pile unless specified).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paschal
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any card, unless it says otherwise, gained goes to the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have added the text for Convergent Evolution. You don't "gain" apex cards with it:

"You may take an Apex card from the Elimination Pile and add it to your Hatchery (Hatchlings go directly into your hand). You may draw a card."

So, the directions on CE are clear for every card in the game except Juvenile since normally Juvenile would never be in the Hatchery. The rules for cards in the Hatchery say that you either buy the cards by paying the Evolve cost or, if it's a Hatchling it goes straight into your hand. But Juvenile has no Evolve cost to pay. So, there are 3 possible ways to play it:

1. Treat it like a Hatchling (since just like a Hatchling it doesn't have an Evolve cost) and take it into your hand. This is the most generous option and how I decided to play it.

2. Place it in the Hatchery since the card specifically stated that only Hatchlings get to go straight into your hand. This option has two ways of playing it.
A. It's in your Hatchery and has no cost so you can automatically buy it and place it in your discard pile. This is the 2nd most generous option. I think this is a perfectly fair interpretation and probably how I'll play it in the future.

B. It's in your Hatchery, but can't be bought because there's no price on it. It just gets recycled at the end of your turn and is a dead card in your Apex deck. The harshest interpretation, but one that I think can be made within the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kldonnelly wrote:

1. Treat it like a Hatchling (since just like a Hatchling it doesn't have an Evolve cost) and take it into your hand. This is the most generous option and how I decided to play it.

This is how I'd play it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Smart
msg tools
I might be late to the party but I actually designed that card. Yes when the juvenile is added since it has no cost like a hatchling it is added to your hand that was also supposed to be on the reminder text but couldn't be added for space reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! It's great to have a definitive answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bissett
msg tools
kldonnelly wrote:
Thanks a lot! It's great to have a definitive answer.

Can someone let me know what the Convergent Evolution card is? I have 2nd ed version of the game and don't see it.

Thanks,
Bobby

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a 4 cost card in the Evolution deck with the text: "You may take an Apex card from the Elimination Pile and add it to your Hatchery (Hatchlings go directly into your hand). You may draw a card." It's in the 2nd edition so you should have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbissett wrote:
Can someone let me know what the Convergent Evolution card is? I have 2nd ed version of the game and don't see it.

It's from the Stomping Grounds expansion.
In the picture below (not mine), it is the card on the bottom-right with the split face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.