Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm posting this for a friend.

"an elephant unit will roll the same number of battle dice as the unit it is attacking would normally roll against the elephant." <- Note the word 'normally'. So, I think I played this correctly today by rolling three dice against Auxilia in a Fortified Camp. When Elephants are attacking Auxilia when the latter are in a Fortified Camp, do the Elephants attack with the full three dice, or do the Elephants only attack with two, since the Auxilia can only battle out (of a Fortified Camp) with two dice? ;

and
"if an elephant is attacking a Foot unit in a fortified camp (which can ignore one flag and one sword), the “first” sword the elephant rolls is not a hit and is not re-rolled. If the elephant rolls 2 or more sword hits, those beyond the first do count as hits and are re-rolled." (The answer to this one is _yes_?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you played it correctly: Elephants roll three dice against Auxilia in Fortified Camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is correct also, but for clarity's sake, let's assume an elephant was attacking the auxilia in the woods.

Normally an auxilia rolls 3 dice, so that would be what the elephant would roll, but all units attacking into the woods only get to roll 2 dice in close combat, so the elephant would only roll 2 dice in that situation, right? ("normally" is just a starting point and could be modified by other rules, such as those for terrain, I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so, and that is the way I'd play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly to all!

1) There is no penalty attacking a camp, so the elephant is not penalized (3d), the Auxilia is because any unit attacking out gets -1d. In the reverse situation, the elephant inside the camp would attack with 2d, and the Auxilia with 3d.

2) The first sword was ignored, so that one stops there. Apply and re-roll the other swords that were not ignored (edited for clarity!).

3) All units get a maximum of 2d in and out of forest, so both elephant and auxilia get 2d.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
Exactly to all!

1) There is no penalty attacking a camp, so the elephant is not penalized (3d), the Auxilia is because any unit attacking out gets -1d. In the reverse situation, the elephant inside the camp would attack with 2d, and the Auxilia with 3d.

2) The first sword was ignored, so it stops there.

3) All units get a maximum of 2d in and out of forest, so both elephant and auxilia get 2d.

Are you certain about #2? Is there a FAQ or answer from the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartowWing wrote:
franchi wrote:
2) The first sword was ignored, so that one stops there. Apply and re-roll the other swords that were not ignored (edited for clarity!).
Are you certain about #2? Is there a FAQ or answer from the designer?

Yes, certain. When you ignore a sword it means what it says, you 'discard' it.

There is certainly a FAQ somewhere, and RB has certainly answered this before, but I cannot remember where exactly. However, here is a sentence from the combat example in the rules that may help:

Since Elephants ignore all sword hits, if an Elephant was attacking another Elephant, any sword hits rolled would be ignored. (No re-roll.)

Same applies to all ignored swords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what might spawn confusion is your "so it stops there," since the longer example said the first sword was ignored but a 2nd and 3rd sword would be resolved normally.

Only the first sword is ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
I think what might spawn confusion is your "so it stops there," since the longer example said the first sword was ignored but a 2nd and 3rd sword would be resolved normally.

Only the first sword is ignored.

Oh, right, thanks. I've edited to make it more explicit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.