13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Undercover - New boardgame idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quy Tran
msg tools
Hello,

Recently, I have an idea and I just don't know that if it's new and good. So, I would like to have some thoughts/opinions about it, hope you guys could help me.

Thanks to Joetaco I've wrote a new explanation.

I will try to simulate a 7-player game's round:
Player A is the main spy
The Secret Task is drawn from the pile
Player A choose 2 decoy as player B and C to join the Undercover team
Player D E F G are witnesses, they close their eyes after The Undercover team has formed.
A B C use their gesture to choose B as the one who will do the task
B do the task
Witness open their eyes, They now will have to choose the person who did the task among A B and C, while the U-Team (A B and C) try to trick them to choose the wrong one.
Distributing point: each round, there are points in the reward equal to the number of witnesses. At the end of the round, each witnesses who guess correctly take a point. If there are any left, each decoy take a point (The spy pick which one get it if there is any conflict). The rest in the reward belong to the spy.
Each player become the spy 2 times, the one with highest score wins.

As for the task cards, I have several examples from non-accent task to faking someone/something's sounds:
"Avoid detection: quick! Cops are coming! Pretend to be a bicious dog! Bark 3 times!"
"pika pika chuuu"
"Faking alibi: I'm totally didn't steal that file, officers! I was at the doctor the whole time! *cough 3 times*"
"Destroy evidence: stomp really hard"
"Shoot a traitor: make a gunshot sound"

That's pretty much everything for now, thanks for still reading til this point, looking forward to reading your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
where is the game? Is it supposed to be challenging to silently convey the task? If that's the case the example tasks need to be retooled. I have no idea how I would silently tell people to make Pokemon noises.

Or is it supposed to be challenging to make loud noise while your partner does the task? Ignoring that this seems more obnoxious than fun, the task need to be retooled because people's voices would give it away. I mean, "be really loud while I mutter something" doesn't like a challenge. Or is it a game of silly accents?

I get where the "fun" is, someone does something silly while people do silly things. I also get where the strategy is, balancing points earned with number of decoys. I just don't get where the game is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quy Tran
msg tools
Thanks for your comment, I find the flaw in my instruction. It should be, only one person in the Undercovers can make any noise. So basically, the witnesses must guess who did the task base on the one sound made by the Undercover team.

One other thing, while the witnesses are closing their eyes, the undercovers silently choose one person to do the task. So only 1 sound is made by one member of the Undercover team. The witnesses should try to figure out who.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quy Tran
msg tools
I will try to simulate a 7-player game's round:
Player A is the main spy
The Secret Task is drawn from the pile
Player A choose 2 decoy as player B and C
Player D E F G are witnesses, they close their eyes after The Undercover team has formed.
A B C use their gesture to choose B as the one who will do the task
B do the task
Witness open their eyes, They now will have to choose the person who did the task among A B and C, while the U-Team (A B and C) try to trick them to choose the wrong one.
Distributing point

Hope that will make it clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
okalyo wrote:
Thanks for your comment, I find the flaw in my instruction. It should be, only one person in the Undercovers can make any noise. So basically, the witnesses must guess who did the task base on the one sound made by the Undercover team.

One other thing, while the witnesses are closing their eyes, the undercovers silently choose one person to do the task. So only 1 sound is made by one member of the Undercover team. The witnesses should try to figure out who.

If seven people are sitting in a circle, I'm guessing it would be a trivial task to figure out who made a sound, especially if it's a sound made by your voice. People's voice sounds different, and the direction of the sound would be a dead give away in itself.

Perhaps the spies sit in a row, and are allowed to change places?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see two potential issues so far:

7 players in the example, but what is the player range expected here? Large groups of more than 10 might take a very long time to play and outstay its welcome, but not having enough players also limits how many people are playing on either side.

Sound location is much easier to identify than you think. In games of Werewolf, for example, moderators have asked people to make noises all around the room so that when different roles are called out, people sitting near them won't be tipped off by the movement of clothes, and ask those players to point only with one hand so that the lack of noise from the person also doesn't give them away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quy Tran
msg tools
I would try to give instructions like: do anything to trick others (so the one who operate the task with move to another decoy)

About the task, I have another section for non-accent task such as Claping or Stomping or even hitting the witnesses on their shoulder. Whistle or Huming can also works. I do aware that the quality of the Task secion is very important so I'm trying to figure it out.

Generally, if I can make a good list of task, I wonder if this works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quy Tran
msg tools
klz_fc wrote:
I see two potential issues so far:

7 players in the example, but what is the player range expected here? Large groups of more than 10 might take a very long time to play and outstay its welcome, but not having enough players also limits how many people are playing on either side.

Sound location is much easier to identify than you think. In games of Werewolf, for example, moderators have asked people to make noises all around the room so that when different roles are called out, people sitting near them won't be tipped off by the movement of clothes, and ask those players to point only with one hand so that the lack of noise from the person also doesn't give them away.

I see, maybe we can increase the number of Undercover team to half or near half of all the players to balance this? Or maybe we could divide all the players into two team permanently and make it a team-competing game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Young
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Have you played The Resistance or seen it played? It's a very similar game, and a thorough understanding of it could lead you to a better understanding of what you want to do differently with your game (what ideas you'd want to expand upon from what's already been done, what mechanics work and what don't in a game like this, etc. etc.).

Sounds cool, though very similar. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quy Tran
msg tools
yeah I've play Avalon and they have the same idea,
What I'm trying to do is add more sillyness by getting people to faking sounds or pretending to be someone else,
There are definitely some flaws and you guys really help me seeing it,
I'm working improving the mechanic as having a better theme for this. It doesn't have to be purely spy/undercover thing, which I only use because that's, for now, is the best way for me to explain it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Young
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
okalyo wrote:
It doesn't have to be purely spy/undercover thing, which I only use because that's, for now, is the best way for me to explain it.

Games are usually spawned by either a Theme or a Mechanic that the designer is interested in building a game around. Themes are great, but are usually interchangeable. Mechanics are what make a game.

You're already onto something interesting mechanics-wise(I love the idea of having additional tools to throw off your opponents, I've always wanted that extra advantage in Resistance); I say run with that until you're satisfied that you have something with some play to it that isn't easily "sniffed out" by the non-spies. The theme can be added later to compliment your design, and can even help expand on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I can be much more help since I don't enjoy these type of party games (The Resistance being one of the few that worked for me), but the concept just doesn't work for me beyond a handful of turns, and the sound part doesn't seem like it's enough to support a whole game.

I also think you underestimate how identifiable people can be when they make sounds if they know each other, and that can make the appeal even more limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
klz_fc wrote:
I don't think I can be much more help since I don't enjoy these type of party games (The Resistance being one of the few that worked for me), but the concept just doesn't work for me beyond a handful of turns, and the sound part doesn't seem like it's enough to support a whole game.

I also think you underestimate how identifiable people can be when they make sounds if they know each other, and that can make the appeal even more limited.

yeah i agree with that

It almost seems like you should maybe think of a mechanic that maybe makes people more confused. Maybe the same sound is first made by the actual player but then during the round the same sound is repeated by different people with eyes open and then players need to identify the one that they think sounds like the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.