Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering why there are only 4 each? seems this could hurt replay a little. For us if we get the same goal it feels like we will just the same strategies every time. Maybe they will release some more down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Lovell
United States
Edgewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Wondering why there are only 4 each? seems this could hurt replay a little. For us if we get the same goal it feels like we will just the same strategies every time. Maybe they will release some more down the road.

I mean, it kind of doesn't matter what goals you have, whether it's 2 paintings or 2 sculptures. The cards are balanced against each other, and mathematically I don't think you could have any more. If you had two people who wanted double photographs, for example, it would throw things off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I don't think it's that big a deal:

There are 16 combinations of curator + art dealer cards, so assuming your assertion is correct that a given combo drives you to a certain set strategy that's 16 different strategies you could have.

We're only talking about what, 20-25 points in a 100+ point game? So you could try to hit your goals and ignore everything else but you'd be hurting your final score I think.

And the end game scoring tiles that you get from the international market also drive your strategy, and they won't be the same every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, I just wonder if they could do anything different to guide you but I forgot about the goal tiles too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero Cabral
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that different artists every time provide you with the replayability. You always have different costs and bonus tile in them... Don't see the number of goals cards as a problem, actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
The small number of goal cards is nearly my only complaint about this excellent game. The last few games, I drew some of the same goal cards and that made the game feel a little samey. Even four more of each would make a big improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
The small number of goal cards is nearly my only complaint about this excellent game. The last few games, I drew some of the same goal cards and that made the game feel a little samey. Even four more of each would make a big improvement.

Exactly. It's a minor quibble. I might just make some and upload them here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't really much variation possible. The art dealer cards are 5 for A, 10 for BC, 10 for DD. The curator cards are 15 for ABC, 20 for BCDD. It might be possible to use all the permutations (12 for each; B and C are identical in the examples above), but that wouldn't change the game much, and might create unbalanced distributions (for example, if three players each needed to sell two sculptures, the sculptures would be bought up quickly and they would help each other).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Grabiner wrote:
There isn't really much variation possible. The art dealer cards are 5 for A, 10 for BC, 10 for DD. The curator cards are 15 for ABC, 20 for BCDD. It might be possible to use all the permutations (12 for each; B and C are identical in the examples above), but that wouldn't change the game much, and might create unbalanced distributions (for example, if three players each needed to sell two sculptures, the sculptures would be bought up quickly and they would help each other).

Well it could also be unbalanced because if three players wanted to sell two sculptures and there are only 4 possible works of art that can be owned at a time, potentially one or two players would have to wait for other players to sell before buying. And in a 3-4 player game sometimes the game can trigger so fast you may have only sold one or two works so waiting for other players to sell to acquire one you really need could be bad.

I think the goal card distributions are balanced so that there isn't a lot of overlapping goals just so that those situations are avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the combinations could be moved up a little without disrupting balance. I'll see what I can come up with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.