6 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Beat the Shattered Bonds Scenario on our first try! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris H
msg tools
mb
This is the third time we played MoM2e, since two of us had an ongoing game playing Rising Tide we decided to try this out thinking we'd be wiped fairly quickly (We just barely beat Cycle and lost terribly in Escape).

To our surprise we were able to complete the investigation on our first try. We played with four investigators (with four human players): Michael McGlenn, Ashcan Pete, Carolyn Fern, and Kate Winthrop. The following are spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We decided to spread out and to spend too much time digging through clues, though that's what two of our team wound up doing. Upon talking to the first Mansion inhabitant we saw the 'Move to a room', we assumed it would require us to move her around the mansion.

When the warning of the beast approaching came, we quickly realized we had to get her out of there. We spread out in two groups and explored the rest of the mansions. We started timing the loud sound interactions well and for a couple of turns we were doing well in collecting the amulets.

To our horror the monster start catching on to the sounds, and we were force to let one of the NPCs fend off the monster for themselves. It was tense but they made it. We assumed it was instant game over if they failed.

I really loved the mechanism of it, it really ramped up the tension and forced the investigators to really coordinate efforts. Some might call it 'gimmicky' but I think it did it well without imposing any artificial time limits.

The basement started going up in flames and we blocked off half of the mansions foolishly, when we summoned the final Star Spawn. Luckily it didn't throw a ton of monsters at us leading up to it, we just had one Goat Spawn and one Bhyakee (1st edition monsters). Just the right amount. Thankfully we had collected enough guns and spells to deal some real damage to the Star Spawn. I think between my Carbine Rifle and another investigator's Wrack spell we managed to deal 15 damage to it in one turn (out of a total of 30).

It was still fairly close as one investigator had gone insane and another was close to dying after being wounded. Very tense but satisfying finish.

We did miss some stuff: a couple of investigation points including the shadow in the hallway, we also failed to explore an entire room.

Despite the difficulty rating we really didn't think it was too difficult. It just requires a lot of cooperation and understanding. I think this is a good second scenario after Cycle of Eternity, moreso than Escape from Innsmouth. So if you're frustrated from that, I recommend giving it a try.

Any else want to share their attempt at this scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience with three friends this weekend. We played one investigator each (3 total) and manage to beat the scenario on our first try. I was insane and didn't "win" (but that is beside the point).

We only faced two monsters on our way to beating the boss. My friends manage to beat it even when I was insane and refused to help them. We did lose one of the family members during the investigation. I believe you get different endings if one of them die or not (not verified, just a guess).

I was also surprised at how easy it was. I have played Escape from Insmoth solo two times without being able to beat it, and have lost the first scenario a couple of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I personally believe 'Escape from Innsmouth and 'Shattered Bonds' should have their difficulty ratings reversed.

I think 'Shattered Bonds' is difficult to get a 'perfect' victory (protecting all of the Bechmans) on a 1st play because it's possible for family members to die before you even find them if you explore too slowly. This happened to us in our 1st game.

But simply getting and defeating the Star Spawn is very possible.

By a third game I think investigators should be able to nail it comfortably with a good gameplan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaMothe
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I too beat this one on my first attempt, solo with two investigators, Gloria and Dexter. I never did find the basement, and let's just say the survival rate was not "high."
We just didn't have the actions to move everyone away from the Star Spawn. Only the mother survived.

Squeezing a "win" out of this one seems easier than Escape, I agree. Getting a perfect victory likely merits the max difficulty rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
julian hoddy
msg tools
Hey all,

Loving the 2nd ed! I bought the 1st ed but never got round to playing it as the setup and the keeper roll was just a bit too daunting for me. I sold it ages ago, but after hearing about this 2nd ed app version, i snapped one up on ebay with painted minis (Investigators only) for a pretty OK price.

I’ve played the “Escape” mission 3 times and lost each time. I just tried out “shattered” and won it on my first run through! I know not to dawdle about too much, checking everything, but “shattered” just seemed to give you quite a lot more time to explore the mansion? I was really surprised when I realised I might actually be able to pull off a win, even though Agatha had been wounded and was almost insane within a few rounds of the game. I play solo and always only have two investigators in each scenario.

Ok, so, I may have been much luckier with my rolling in the "shattered" game tonight, but it does seem to me “Escape” has a bit more pressure on the game timer?

I might try “escape” one more as normal, but if i don’t win that, i’m going try the “3 actions” per turn mentioned elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also beat it on our first attempt but lost two characters in the final round - Harvey Walters and Mike McGlenn died in the blast of dynamite that killed the Star Spawn we were fighting.

Mike McGlenn had 'for the greater good' as his insanity card so his death was by design. He just forgot to tell Harvey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.