$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Love Letter: Batman» Forums » Variants

Subject: If you could make one rule change to Love Letter Batman... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kid Beyond
United States
California
flag msg tools

Hello all!

As I mentioned in another thread: I'm making a custom version of Love Letter Batman for an 8-year-old friend who loves the game.

I'm thinking it could be fun to make one rule change to the game, so that his version is different from every other version on the planet...

... but only if it makes the game better.

So, I put it to you:

If you could make one rule change to Love Letter Batman, what would it be?

This could be an addition, a deletion, a modification — anything.

Ideas from other Love Letter variants* are fair game.

Thanks in advance for your help and creativity!


* (For example: having two different types of Bane — lower card loses vs. higher card loses — could be interesting, but I don't know if it improves the game. Thoughts on this?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kidbeyond wrote:
* (For example: having two different types of Bane — lower card loses vs. higher card loses — could be interesting, but I don't know if it improves the game. Thoughts on this?)


that's a real thing in the LOTR version.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kid Beyond
United States
California
flag msg tools

Yup, that's what I was referring to... Do you think it makes the game stronger, or weaker?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a custom card for my daughter. She dressed up in a cape and I used that for the picture. I made it a 0 level card and the ability is to take another player's card and then play a second card. The other player draws a new card.

My nephew then wanted his own card. So I made his card like the One Ring card from Hobbit Love Letter. A 0 power card that does nothing when discarded but is has 7 power at the end of the round.

When it was just my daughter's card, we played with the laminated card, but you could tell when it came up since the shine and color was close but not the same. When my nephew asked for the game and card of himself for his birthday, I also found some Batman card sleeve on Amazon that were the perfect fit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with my kids, for simplicity we normally don't bother with the extra scoring point for guessing correctly with Batman. I know many gamers like this rules but it feels unnecessary with kids - you just play until someone reaches N wins.

I also use the more family/school friendly art created by Sylas here Re: Put off by card illustration
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
The only rule that strengthens the game is the extra point for he Batman guessing. It just makes the game amazing. I usually play with my kids ages 9-16 and we miss this excellent rule when we play other versions.

It is very easy fix r kids to grasp and makes the game and the scoring much more fluid and tense. My kids love the original illustrations and my 9-year old loves the Hatley Quinn one: "Dad, she is in the Batcave!".

I do enjoy the One Ring card and the Legolas variant in the Hobbit version but they are more lateral changes almost for flavor. They don't make the game better or worse. Only the Batman rule makes the game dramatically better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
The only rule that strengthens the game is the extra point for he Batman guessing. It just makes the game amazing. I usually play with my kids ages 9-16 and we miss this excellent rule when we play other versions.

It is very easy fix r kids to grasp and makes the game and the scoring much more fluid and tense. My kids love the original illustrations and my 9-year old loves the Hatley Quinn one: "Dad, she is in the Batcave!".

I do enjoy the One Ring card and the Legolas variant in the Hobbit version but they are more lateral changes almost for flavor. They don't make the game better or worse. Only the Batman rule makes the game dramatically better.


I don't know this rule/variant...can you please explain ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know basic Love Letter, AEG tends to add a little twist with each theme variation. Batman Love Letter introduces a new way to score a point. Instead of only getting a point if you win the round, you also get a point if you eliminate another person with Batman/Guard (unless it is Robin/Handsmaid). This little rule change makes a world of difference since it gives meaning to playing multiple games.

When the game that originated Love Letter was released in Japan, it was played in a single hand. The multiple hands points were introduced by AEG and always felt tacked on to me until they released the Batman version.

The One Ring and Legolas rules are nice variants but nothing compared to the Batman change.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
If you know basic Love Letter, AEG tends to add a little twist with each theme variation. Batman Love Letter introduces a new way to score a point. Instead of only getting a point if you win the round, you also get a point if you eliminate another person with Batman/Guard (unless it is Robin/Handsmaid). This little rule change makes a world of difference since it gives meaning to playing multiple games.

When the game that originated Love Letter was released in Japan, it was played in a single hand. The multiple hands points were introduced by AEG and always felt tacked on to me until they released the Batman version.

The One Ring and Legolas rules are nice variants but nothing compared to the Batman change.

Holy @#$#! I have played this game TONS of times and never knew about this rule!!! Can't wait to try it!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:
If you know basic Love Letter, AEG tends to add a little twist with each theme variation. Batman Love Letter introduces a new way to score a point. Instead of only getting a point if you win the round, you also get a point if you eliminate another person with Batman/Guard (unless it is Robin/Handsmaid). This little rule change makes a world of difference since it gives meaning to playing multiple games.

When the game that originated Love Letter was released in Japan, it was played in a single hand. The multiple hands points were introduced by AEG and always felt tacked on to me until they released the Batman version.

The One Ring and Legolas rules are nice variants but nothing compared to the Batman change.

Holy @#$#! I have played this game TONS of times and never knew about this rule!!! Can't wait to try it!!


With this rule, you play to 7 points instead of 5.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Frenzy (Split Enz, 1979)
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you Batman someone to win the round (not Robin), you get two tokens, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Right
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.