Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Rider
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noted that there are certain cards in the deck (Drac and Hunter) that just seem overpowered to me. Right at the top are the "teleport" cards. Both sides have them. I played a game as Dracula, and I think I played well, but the Hunters also played well and finally hunted me down for a big fight. But right then I happened to draw a card that allowed me to teleport to anywhere on the map.

Felt like a jerk actually playing it, but in terms of game it would have been foolish not to. Hunter players were just kind of disgusted, (I don't blame them) and it really sort of disrupted the game. What's the use of strategising if *poof* a lucky card totally overturns the last 45 minuted of play?

Was wondering what other people thought about this kind of thing. Anyone?

Any other cards that maybe should be removed or modified before play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't draw that card. One of the Hunters drew it. When the Hunters have Dracula cornered, they should stop drawing Events for precisely that reason.

(And in my experience, it doesn't tend to be that difficult for the Hunters to pick up the trail again: they reveal all the unrevealed cities before Evasion was played, and then use a point of Resolve for Newspaper Reports.)

It's true that in the third edition, Evasion has been removed from the deck.

As for other cards: Sister Agatha is a bit overpowered for the Hunters. Many play-by-forum games reduce her penalty to just one Blood instead of two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evasion really should have had a warning on it in the rulebook. It's really frustrating for new players to have Dracula get away like that, and there's no other event in the game that tends to instantly have such a "screw you" effect. The good news is that once you know it's there, you can avoid it. If Dracula has been hunted down for a big fight, the Hunters probably should stop drawing events.

Evasion is probably the single most powerful card in the deck. Along with Sister Agatha and Hypnosis, it's the one that gets called for being nerfed the most. However, the Hunters are the favored side, so if you tone down Evasion or remove it (even if you also nerf Agatha & Hypnosis as a result), you've removed one of the biggest advantages from the side that has the tougher time of it already.

Evasion by itself is so big because it makes the Hunters nervous about drawing events when it hasn't come out yet. And the event deck really favors the Hunters. Twice as many of the events are theirs. They can hold 12-13 compared to Drac's 4-6. They control when the events get drawn. They can stop drawing when maxxed, but Dracula can be forced to overdraw against his will. And they are often the best way of finding Dracula's trail (around 20% of the events in the game can or do directly locate the trail in some way). Without Evasion, the Hunters draw or withhold at their leisure. With it, they need to sometimes deprive themselves of events to avoid the small chance of a big downside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kraus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what Statalyzer said. Card draws are controlled by the hunters. If the hunters are able to have evasion drawn early in the game (like in my current PBF game), that is a win for the hunters. If you have Dracula cornered, and you keep drawing events with no evasion drawn, yet, then that's your own fault if you don't plan for that. If you really wanted to keep drawing events with Dracula cornered, you could always save a good luck for that, although it would probably be better to save good luck for the actual combat with Dracula, assuming he has a trap in his hand.

They removed Evasion from 3e? I guess I'll never play that edition since they did that along with make every other turn is day or night change. I feel like that it makes it harder for Dracula to strategize when he wants to pounce on people, as he doesn't have 3 or 4 consecutive turns to plan out his attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach the game to new people I pull that card out and show it to them with the warning "This card is punishment for stupid hunters. Don't draw if you think you know where Drac is.", but they never listen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
requiem09 wrote:
They removed Evasion from 3e? I guess I'll never play that edition since they did that along with make every other turn is day or night change. I feel like that it makes it harder for Dracula to strategize when he wants to pounce on people, as he doesn't have 3 or 4 consecutive turns to plan out his attacks.

Well, against that, Dracula is much less limited in daytime combat now.

3e doesn't really have day/night the way 2e does. The day/night cycle effectively means that a Hunter may forgo movement in order to get a more controlled Event draw, or do some other action such as heal.

(Also sea movement for Dracula seems to be seriously nerfed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.