Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first houserule is this: in a three-player game, we don't play with the Statue of Zeus.

Simply put, if a player takes the lead and buys the Statue of Zeus, it's game over. The only way for the other two to restore balance in the game would be to put pressure on the leader on two fronts. But the Statue of Zeus effectively renders that balancing mechanism inoperative, and that truly hurts the three-handed dynamic.

Anybody else went through the same experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petyr Patter
msg tools
I experienced the EXACT same thing. I don't want to say its "game over," but it pretty much removes the possibility of ever losing a territory baring Queen of Sheba or something.

Hence, the player with the Statue can invest minimally in military and still put a strong push to grabbing that 5 Hero or to be leader in the tracks. It won't save a player whose fallen to far behind, effectively cuts the legs out from the game's balance mechanic, war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. In the only three-player game I've played, the leading player (Carthage) bought the Statue of Zeus. To make matters worse, he bought Nabuchadnezzer.

My role in the game (as Rome) was to stop Carthage from winning, but I couldn't do much about that. Greece cooperated minimally to keep Carthage in check, but mostly Greece just let the war go on and then claimed victory by building 5 heroes/wonders.

So in this case the player with the statue DIDN'T win, but to be honest I still found that game frustrating.

Maybe for the next three-player game I'll remove Statue of Zeus and mix in some Atlas expansion heroes as per the expansion-mixing guidelines in the Atlas book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drammattex wrote:
Yes. In the only three-player game I've played, the leading player (Carthage) bought the Statue of Zeus. To make matters worse, he bought Nabuchadnezzer.

My role in the game (as Rome) was to stop Carthage from winning, but I couldn't do much about that. Greece cooperated minimally to keep Carthage in check, but mostly Greece just let the war go on and then claimed victory by building 5 heroes/wonders.

So in this case the player with the statue DIDN'T win, but to be honest I still found that game frustrating.

Maybe for the next three-player game I'll remove Statue of Zeus and mix in some Atlas expansion heroes as per the expansion-mixing guidelines in the Atlas book.

We'll do the same thing in our next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wade
Japan
Iizuka
Fukuoka
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I encountered this today.

It wasn't game over, and I actually won with a pyramid build as Greece (Carthage had the Statue).

However, we did realise it is impossible to even get to the two southernmost provinces in Africa without purchasing Queen of Sheba.

From now on we will house rule the Statue out of three player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.