Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » General

Subject: Hidden information? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Is there any other hidden information apart from the runes in Gods War?

I'm currently playing a solo game of Cthulhu wars (with 4 factions) and I just add any revealed elder signs to the doom track (that is the only hidden information in the CW game).

So I'm guessing I can handle the runes in a solo game of GW too. If that is the only hidden information in the game, I think I'm good to go.

I play the solo games so that I get to try out the different maps and indie GOOs and monsters and all the different factions. I rarely get to play a proper game of CW with actual opponents, so playing solo is the next best choise. I expect this to be the same with Gods war when I get it, so I'm wondering if GW can be played as easily solo as CW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Runes are the only hidden info. You do need to be able to play them when you want, so they're slightly more important to keep hidden, but by the sound of it you're experienced enough at solo play to keep that in mind when making decisions.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, I play a lot of different games solo (as long as there are not too much hidden info).

When playing solo, I don't play to win. I play to see what happens.
I try to be as neutral as I can so that I don't favor any of the factions too much and I try to play each faction the best I can.

My last solo game I actually was a bit surprised to see the Sleeper take the win even when I thought I played it a bit passively.

So, when the runes are the only hidden information in GW, I see no problem soloing the game. If I can do it with CW, I can propably do it with GW too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides Runes, there is at least one other item of hidden information - your bid for the Chaos Rift. Obviously, you may bid differently if you know what the bid of the others is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, that. I'll decide how I'm gonna play that when I get my first solo game started (still at least a year away).

But it's something to keep in mind.

I might do it with a semi-random way. First I decide how anxious the faction is to close the rift (assing +0 to +3 power to each faction maybe) then I will draw an Elder sign for each faction, which adds +1 to +3 power cost in addition to what I decided the faction will spend. So the total number will end up being +1 to +6 power.

When I play a solo game, I'm not that interested in winning with any particular faction. Rather, I'm playing an unfolding story to see what happens in the end. So, doing a random (roll D6 for it) or semi-random (see above) decision how it goes will not bother me too much.

But thanks for the heads-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.