Subject: Is the base game for 3-5 players or only for 3 or 4? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ask because in the BGG page of the game it is say 3-5 players, but then it only bring 4 factions so it look like there are only 4 players allowed, but maybe Im missing something.

The number of players is important to me and I would like to clarify if you can play with 5 players with the base game alone or if you can only play 3-4 players with base game and 3-8 players with base game +empires expansion. If thats the case I would also ask to change the BGG description (to avoid future misunderstandings)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
The base game come with 4 factions and a map for 3 to 5 players. So with the base game only you can play up to 4 players.

Then you have the Empires expansion who add 4 factions and another map for 6 to 8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Just 4 for the core game, because there's only 4 factions. But because the core game map goes up to 5 (for use with the Empires expansion), it's a little confusing.

I imagine it's listed 3-5 because the expansions aren't in the database yet (so this entry includes everything). It would be 3-8 now anyway, since the campaign unlocked the 6-8 player map...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If thats the case (base game 3-4 players, with empire expansion 3-8 players) I think the best will be to add the empire expansion to the database and to display the correct number of players on each page, because as it is right now it only add to the confusion.

For example before starting this thread I was like 90% sure than the base game was not for 5 players, as there is only 4 factions, but then BGG says 5 is best and maybe I was missing something. And as long as the basedata is wrong or some designer answer this thread I will think there are still a slight chance of some variant or something that made this game playable for 5. I mean of course everybody does an extensive research before backing up a game, but what happen if somebody look on BGG 3-5 players, best with 5 Ok lets back just the base (you can always buy the expansion later if the game found love in the group) and then you end with a 3-4 players game which is "unplayable" in your 5 person group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We probably should submit a correction to BGG saying this game is 3-4 player instead of 3-5 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However looking back the kickstarter page the base game is clearly advertised as a 3-5 player game, so now I guess the base game can be played for 5 persons somehow. I mean is not like a 3rd page (BGG) has wrong or not enterily accurate info about a game, but the own campaign say the game is playable for 5 persons.

Still it would be nice to know more about the 5 player game with the base game. Can some backer ask Sandy directly on the kickstarter? It would be much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is only playable with 4 players, but the campaign is for the game as a whole, which allowed for 5 player games (up until the 6-8 player map was unlocked), so I think that image is technically correct.

It's a little confusing, because the nature of the map means the 5 player configuration comes free with the 3 and 4 player configurations, plus if they ever did sell individual empires (or did faction crossover rules with Cthulhu Wars), you'd be able to play a 5 player game with the core box + 1 other faction/empire.

IIRC, the campaign was Cthulhu Wars was similar, but the core box itself clearly specified that it was only for 2-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy has said that any reference to the core game being playable by 5 players is a mistake. It only includes figures for 4 players, as the campaign is pretty clear about, given that it lists the contents of the box twice.

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaganishu Khan
Austria
flag msg tools
So technically the game is 3-8, but you need an expansion to go beyond 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Khaunshar wrote:
So technically the game is 3-8, but you need an expansion to go beyond 4.

Yup, the Empires expansion (which includes both the 6-8 player map and 3-4 additional factions). Given that the addition of new factions adds a ton of gameplay variety, it's a must-have expansion for a lot of people anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Vic, that graphic on the KS needs to be fixed. TGW is a 3-4 player game. TGW + Empires is 3-8. Since factions aren't sold ala carte, it's only either 3-4 or 3-8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.