$35.00
Day Life
msg tools
Hi...

I have the original game + all the expansions and print on demand stuff. Is there a upgrade pack? If I get the full new game... is everything else thrown out?

Just confused as to how much this game is different, I know it has an app and lets not get in a "apps, good or bad for boardgamers" thing but I feel kinda ripped off that I own all this content and as far as I know there is no backwards compatibility.

Any info would be cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is the conversion kit included in the 2nd edition box.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/1/theyre-b...

You can use the investigator minis, monster minis and tiles from base game and two larger box expansions with the 2nd edition. Conversion kit has new monster tokens and investigator sheets for those. Everything else is unusable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
what about the quests?

I downloaded the free app to have a look at it but it only had 4 quests (I assume form the 2ndED Core Set). Are expansion and print on demand quests not playable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are four out right now. This fall they are releasing two expansions which are the figures and tiles from the first version of the game, and putting out two more scenarios along side them that will focus on the first edition stuff. There is no word on them bringing back all the old scenarios from first edition, and I imagine it's unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
It works the same as Descent.

You're playing second edition (with option to use some first edition stuff).
You are not playing first edition+ in any form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
I feel your pain. They could've easily made the app support first edition, but instead you get to buy a new game, which includes what you already have plus four scenarios with one investigation each, for the low low price of $100.00. Might be less if a rip-off if there were more of a difference between the boxes that a few pieces of cardboard, because the app is a separate multi-platform supporting animal, basically unrelated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
So the 2nd edition expansions that are coming are just the models and tiles I already own from the old expansions... and the quest will be added to the "free" app.... then after them it will e caught up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
So the 2nd edition expansions that are coming are just the models and tiles I already own from the old expansions... and the quest will be added to the "free" app.... then after them it will e caught up?

Correct.

Wormwood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
... but the print and play expansions are lost in time and space? (at least for now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually very happy with the amount of content so far. Who knows, maybe one day they'll update the starting four scenarios so we'll go back to them with a fresh new look. What I'm really waiting for right now is Rex Murphy. Honestly, how can the reporter not be in the most investigative game thus far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
... but the print and play expansions are lost in time and space? (at least for now)

Nothing to stop you playing them as intended, with 1st ed rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cloud64 wrote:
DayinDaLife wrote:

Nothing to stop you playing them as intended, with 1st ed rules.

Precisely this, 2nd edition doesn't make 1st edition obsolete so I don't get why OP is complaining about being ripped off. If it's the steep price tag then simply don't buy it if that's how you feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lovecraftgeek wrote:
I feel your pain. They could've easily made the app support first edition, but instead you get to buy a new game, which includes what you already have plus four scenarios with one investigation each, for the low low price of $100.00. Might be less if a rip-off if there were more of a difference between the boxes that a few pieces of cardboard, because the app is a separate multi-platform supporting animal, basically unrelated.

I am guessing most people don't know how much effort goes into making an app. Converting all of the scenarios from 1E into an app would have taken much longer and more expense to do, and why make redundant content? I would feel more ripped off if all they did was give me scenarios I already played and paid for. Instead, they give you a free conversion kit to use all of the monsters and heroes (with Descent they charged for this kit). If you didn't own 1E, it will probably cost about $80+ to get all of those monsters and heroes in the expansions...or MUCH more to get the original boxes on Ebay.

Also, if they made the app "Support" first edition, then they would HAVE to charge for the app. The development of the app wasn't free. Most 2nd edition of games put out the same game with minor tweaks, new art, etc. This was a completely new game.

Also, Rebellion is $100 MSRP, and sells for $75 in many places, so I presume this will too.

You have to remember that you are paying for both an expensive to produce board game, and the creation, support, and ongoing development of an application. Knowing what they did with RTL, there may be a free scenario coming out, or some inexpensive ones to buy later.

Not meant for you specifically, this sentiment is shared by many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
lovecraftgeek wrote:

I think you are grossly overestimating the effort required to make digital content. Not to mention that the 1st ed scenarios would have to be redesigned to suit the new format. It's quite likely they wouldn't work as is. For example, every examine token in 2nd ed has a bit of fluff text that furthers the plot. 1st end only had plot related text when you reached the clues. So that is a hell of a lot more writing needed to be done to get the 1st ed scenarios up to spec, giving each room multiple bits of plot related text.

Everything would have to be re-balanced. Not to mention that each 1st ed scenario was linear with just one critical path. That would have to change as well.

To address the OP, there is no need to throw out anything. Sure, a whole bunch of cards will no longer be used but all the minis and tiles from 1st ed are still being used, and two more free scenarios are coming that are built specifically for them.

All of the 1st edition things can still be used to play first edition, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:

None of the first edition quests in any of the boxes or print-and-play are have been converted 2nd edition.

It sounds like you might be thinking that the app is a just the 1st edition keeper but controlled by a computer.

That is not the case. The keeper role is gone and the app is a new thing that works differently.

As such, the quests also work differently and all of the quests are new 2nd edition quests and not just first edition quests with the computer controlling the keeper.

They might reuse some of the stories from the 1st edition quests but even if they do, they will work differently and they wouldn't be a true conversion (i.e., same quest just with a computer controlling the keeper).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
While stating some of us are under-appreciating the difficulty of re-writing the first edition scenarios to fit the 2e app, a couple of you are overstating it.

If we are talking about redeveloping the app (which supports two other games, not this one solely) and rolling that cost into one property, yes that wouldn't be fair or logical, but you're correct - it would entail more development.

Writing, or re-writing scenarios actually, isn't that same animal at all. However, I'm merely going over this territory for exposition's sake, it's not really my argument.

I don't want to derail the thread here, but my beef is not about the older content being supported at launch as much as about how flexible 1e scenarios are compared to how little there is scenario-wise "in the box" at 2e launch/currently (given that the last 2e scenario shows they can support at least limited differing-investigative-chains already). Price also greatly figures into it, but again that's a discussion for another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
DayinDaLife wrote:
what about the quests?

I downloaded the free app to have a look at it but it only had 4 quests (I assume form the 2ndED Core Set). Are expansion and print on demand quests not playable?

The core mechanics of 2E are different to 1E, as is the very notion of what a "quest" is. The app isn't just (or even) an AI keeper. It presents quests in an entirely different way, and quests have to be designed to work with the app.

I'd suggest watching ten minutes of a playthrough video to get an idea of how different they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
lovecraftgeek wrote:
While stating some of us are under-appreciating the difficulty of re-writing the first edition scenarios to fit the 2e app, a couple of you are overstating it.

There's not enough in the first edition scenarios to make it worthwhile. It's maybe a page of text per scenario, which would have to be expanded greatly. To the point it's about as much work as developing one from scratch. And the end result would be a scenario with, by your logic, no value to anyone who had already played all three variants in 1E.

Quote:
If we are talking about redeveloping the app (which supports two other games, not this one solely)

Just one other game, XCOM is on a different engine, and we don't know what the IA app is going to be yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.