I, Spy» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestions for changes to future editions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Hopkins
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I enjoyed my first play of this game, although there are some things I'd like to see changed in a future edition/reprint of the game.

Suggestions for changes in future editions:

I) Make British Empire pink on the map;

II) Make influence cubes all the same colour, as it doesn't matter what colour they are only that they are placed in the relevant nation's influence box area on the board;

III) Give each player a colour and make their pawn and control tokens (or cubes - see below) the same colour; and

IV) Replace the tiny control tokens with wooden cubes in the spy's colour and get rid of the holes on the politicians' cards. Spies should add a cube of their colour onto the back of the card to indicate control. When looking at the card, simply take the cubes off and when finished looking at the card, place the cubes back on the back of the politician card. This makes it easier at a distance to see which spy is controlling a politician and gets rid of the problem of the cardboard control tokens wearing out from popping them into and out of the politician cards.

Id be interested in hearing other Geeks suggestions for improvements. Hopefully the publishers will take note. It's a great game and really deserves more love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the colors should be:

Austria-Hungary: Yellow
Italy: Green
Russia: Purple
England: Red
France: Blue
Germany: Black

Why? Because that was well established in Mac Gerdts' brilliant game Imperial!

The color schemes in I, Spy always screw with me because of this. I give some additional thoughts on the game here.

I agree that each player should have their own color here. The control tokens are very tiny and fiddly. Nice idea, but not really that functional. Maybe colored pegs (like the people you put in your car in Life) would work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4ndrew wrote:
It's a great game and really deserves more love.

I'm in total agreement with you on this! Not sure about any of the rest of it though . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that it's a very good game - I wish I could get more people interested in playing it though.

I) Agree that the colour choices for the countries was poor and that GB should be pink and the others should match 2030 as suggested above or the classic Diplomacy colours.

II) Don't agree, I like the separate colours for each nations influence - I think you are less likely to make mistakes when assigning and it just looks nicer.

III) Agree would be much better if each player had an assigned colour so that it was easier to tie each person to their pawn etc - I have recoloured my pawns and done player boards for this very reason (pic below)

IV) I agree that the control tokens with just the tiny icons are poor but the control tokens are OK if they are strongly coloured (to match the player colours above) - I used a sharpie and they are now fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hopkins
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great job on the coloured control tokens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.